How are bikes stolen these days?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are bikes stolen these days?

I've only ever had one bike stolen, and I'm pretty sure it was a back of a trailer job late at night.

How is it done these days? Is it possible to hotwire bikes and disable steering locks? Reason I ask is I've just discovered what looks like an auxiliary kill switch on my SV. It's well hidden - it's a black toggle switch right next to the steering yoke and is all but invisible. I tried it out and it appears to disable the fuel pump. Handy to have but of course it's not going to stop a couple of pros with a tail lift truck.

I have seen vids of assholes picking bikes up and putting them into vans/trailers.

I don't know what factory theft deterent your SV has (apart from being a Suzuki), but if it has none, this switch may prevent the screwdriver thief. It would be annoying to constantly turn of tho.

Surely having an alarm fitted would be better especially one with a motion sensor.

Comment

Bike steering locks are about as much use as a chocolate teapot ......

Comment

Originally posted by keys View Post
        Bike steering locks are about as much use as a chocolate teapot ......
        Mmmmm, chocolate teapot....

They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Generally putting Triumph badge on your bike guarantees it being stolen.
          Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
            Oi thats enough out of you....
            When the only tool you have is a hammer, every thing starts to look like a nail

Comment

Husky too

Comment

You can negate that with a "1%er" batch.

Comment

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
                  You can negate that with a "1%er" batch.
                  The 1%er patch isn't what stops those bikes being stolen.
                  Rather the extra 100kg of dead weight HD install at the factory, combined with the horrible noise they make.
                  Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by datsikk View Post
                    I don't know what factory theft deterrent your SV has (apart from being a Suzuki),
                    It really depends on WHERE it's likely to get stolen from, most bikes stolen from homes/businesses and immobilisers I'd say are either trailer/ute jobs or break steering lock and wheel away for pickup later if they can't get it started whereas Triumphs etc that don't have some sort of immobiliser it's anywhere there is opportunity as it's just a quick twist of a screwdriver in the ignition barrel and jump on and there out of there

Originally posted by Goliath View Post
                    "1%
                    Is that the percentage of time they DON'T get stolen or the percentage they are actually running?
                    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                    Originally posted by Phildo
                    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
                      Is that the percentage of time they DON'T get stolen or the percentage they are actually running?
                      I thought it is the wearer's percentage of brain cells in use?!

Comment

I remember there was a spike in MC theft in WA when a linked post from some 'merican dude was left on here...

'How easy it is to steal a motorcycle' based on real events from his life in crime.

It is a surprise to most just who visits this site as 'guests' or how few real buyers there are on gobtree.
                        " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

six africans and a stolen dual cab ute seems to be the norm these days

Comment

Why would you steal Africans and a ute..???

Just the bike should be fine..?

"wealth for toil..and Girt by sea..." yup grasping the oztrallian dream!
                            " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Originally posted by dwillia View Post
                              six africans and a stolen dual cab ute seems to be the norm these days
                              cause when the whites try it they're the ones that get caught via the security footage
                              Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

Working...
                              X