Building a 8-9 Sec Qtr Mile bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a 8-9 Sec Qtr Mile bike.

Would it be possible to build a Low to high 8 sec bike for 5k.

Starting with a busa or a 1k gix?

I am thinking it should be pretty easy, say a $2000 Nos system and a swingarm extension should see you in the 8s.

Or am I full of shit?
    Will you insure me?!

Doesn't sound too unreasonable -

I think it's Tim (forget his last name) who is now draggin' a busa (Was draggin a GSXR 750 the last couple of years). The bike is pretty much stock - I'm sure all he's done is lower the rear and added a slip-on.

It's achieving in the range of 9.5

As far as cost - I think it's going to be the maintenance that may hurt the pocket.
    www.alertmotorcycleschool.com

7 Cossom Place
    BAYSWATER WA

(08) 9272 3311
    0405 148 062

Comment

the standard clutch will probably only last a few runs down the strip and good replacements can be costly

Comment

We're talking $5k on top of the cost of the bike, yes?

Comment

That's how I interpreted it.
          www.alertmotorcycleschool.com

7 Cossom Place
          BAYSWATER WA

(08) 9272 3311
          0405 148 062

Comment

Yeah using a say a busa, 1k or Zx12 as a base.
            Will you insure me?!

Comment

The cost of going from a 10sec bike to a 8sec bike would be exponential...
              to break into 8sec, I would set aside $10k for the project..then double it half way into it.

then again that's me...

Comment

As Tim McClure runs consistent 9.5's on a standard Busa, with no slick, just many years of drag racing experiance I'd say yes. Start by changing final drive ratio to make use of all gears and faster launches. Decent slick, Remap computer for strip only and bob's ya Aunty and there you have mid 8's. Timmy always does a decent burnout and hammers the clutches to get a lot of temp in them so they slip as well when he launches. If he fucks up the launch with too much clutch there will be a 12 second lap on one wheel. Always the showman.
                If at first you don't succeed, Try Lemons

Comment

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TOO???

STRAIGHT LINE GURU...???

...and on the seventh day God said "Let there be light!", and Chuck Norris said "say please!"

Comment

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TOO???

STRAIGHT LINE GURU...???

Meh, I don't really care for straights myself (Esp on a fighter ) but just trying to compare getting a 20k car to do 8secs and a 20k bike to do same. Obviously cheaper on a bike BUT is it possible for 5k.

I've been down to kwinana once on my bike b4 it was a fighter and I managed a 10.5 first time there so was happy. But y
                    Will you insure me?!

Comment

when he launches. If he fucks up the launch with too much clutch there will be a 12 second lap on one wheel. Always the showman.
                      I've done better than 12's on one wheel on my 750!
                      It's possible to build it I reckon but it'll take thousands of dollars and hundreds of launches to pull the times out of it.
                      In the US there's a GSXR600 with a Busa motor. Can't recall but I think it's broken into the eights.

Comment

I think you'd be lucky to get a 20k car into 8's unless you start out with a datsun chasis and no seats
                        Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

I have an avi of a zx-12r doing a 8.99 pass.

It doesn't tell me however what's been done to the bike, and it also had a jockey rider.

Comment

Working...
                          X