work-place vocabulary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work-place vocabulary

Essential NEW WORDS FOR 2003 editions for the work-place vocabulary.

BLAMESTORMING. Sitting around in a group, discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed, and who was responsible.

SEAGULL MANAGER. A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps on everything, and then leaves.

ASSMOSIS. The process by which people seem to absorb success and advancement by sucking up to the boss rather than working hard.

SALMON DAY. The experience of spending an entire day swimming upstream only to get screwed and die.

CUBE FARM. An office filled with cubicles.

PRAIRIE DOGGING. When someone yells or drops something loudly in a cube farm, and people's heads pop up over the walls to see what's going on. (This also applies to applause from a promotion because there may be
    cake.)

MOUSE POTATO. The on-line, wired generation's answer to the couch potato.

SITCOMs. Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage. What yuppies turn into when they have children and one of them stops working to stay home with the kids or start a "home business".

STRESS PUPPY. A person who seems to thrive on being stressed out and whiny.

XEROX SUBSIDY. Euphemism for swiping free photocopies from one's workplace.

PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE. The fine art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work again.

ADMINISPHERE. The rarefied organizational layers beginning just above the rank and file. Decisions that fall from the "adminisphere" are often profoundly inappropriate or irrelevant to the problems they were designed to solve. This is often affiliated with the dreaded "administrivia" - needless paperwork and processes.

404 > Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web error message "404 Not Found," meaning that the requested document could not be located.

OHNOSECOND. That minuscule fraction of time in which you realize that you've just made a BIG mistake (e.g. you've hit 'reply all')

WOOFies. Well Off Older Folk.

CROP DUSTING. Surreptitiously farting while passing through a cube farm, then enjoying the sounds of dismay and disgust; leads to PRAIRIE DOGGING.
    Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

I concur.....
    "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." - W. Churchill

Comment

is that all you have to entertain me during my workplace bordom.. come on!
      Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

is that all you have to entertain me during my workplace bordom.. come on!
        Sorry bout that - my sources have been a little slow this week...b-)

OK, here's another, BUT DON'T try to visualise it... (too much)

- The teenage granddaughter comes downstairs for her
        > date with this see-through blouse on and no bra. Her grandmother
        > just pitched a fit, telling her not to dare go out like that!
        > The teenager tells her "Loosen up Grams. These are
        > modern times. You gotta let your rose buds show!" and out she goes.
        > The next day the teenager comes down stairs, and the grandmother is
        > sitting there with no top on. The teenager wants to die.
        > She explains to her grandmother that she has friends coming over and
        > that it is just not appropriate... The grandmother says, "Loosen up,
        > Sweetie. If you can show off your rose buds, then I can display my hanging baskets."

Comment

note to all else :

CEASE VISUALISING AFTER ROSEBUDS !!

this message brought to you by the kind people at www.staysane.com

Comment

Ok, concentrate on this one...B-)

Do this without using a calculator. You are driving a bus from London to Milford Haven (Wales). In London 17 people get on the bus, in Reading 6 people get off, 9 people get on, in Swindon 2 people get off, 4 people get on, in Cardiff 11 people get off, 16 people get on, in Swansea 3 people get off, 5 people get on, in Carmarthen, 6 people get off, 3 people get on the bus then pulls into Milford have bus depot.....

What was the name of the bus driver?

Comment

Well if I was driving....then it would be Nick..
              "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." - W. Churchill

Comment

Working...
              X