Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best punture repair kit for our tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best punture repair kit for our tyres?

hey guys

whats the best punture repair kit out there at the moment? Cos Im planning a ride to the eastern states sometime this year and want to have the best kit on hand if I were to encounter a punture problem in the middle of nowhere.

cheers
    ELITE MOTORCYCLE AND DRIVER TRAINING
    FOR BOOKINGS CALL 0402 127 909 OR WWW.ELITEMCT.COM.AU

go down to tyres for bikes in Vic Park and see Peter... he has all the right stuff or can order it and get it real quick.... one work of advice... take a small 12v air compressor ( super cheap autos) or a hand pump... you will need it... hardly any of the petrol rstations across the Nullaboor have compressed air
    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Hrm.. how are you gonna jack up your bike to take the tyre off ?

I reckon one of those "puncture repair kit-in-a-can" things would be your best option.. from what I know you just screw the hose onto the valve like a pump and it injects foam that seals punctures. *shrug* but you wouldn't wanna go too fast on the tyre afterwards..

But it would pay to take a trip to a bike tyre place and ask them what they'd use on such a journey.
      mmmmm sacrilicious

Comment

I reckon one of those \"puncture repair kit-in-a-can\" things would be your best option.. from what I know you just screw the hose onto the valve like a pump and it injects foam that seals punctures. *shrug* but you wouldn't wanna go too fast on the tyre afterwards.
        Tried using one of those on a puncture a friend had out the back of waroona once, the hole must've been too large or something because it would start to fill up the tyre and then just start spewing out of the puncture tried blocking the puncture, filling it up and then moving, but after a couple of revolutions it just burst again. Could've just been a dodgy brand though, can't remember what it was.

Comment

Hrm.. how are you gonna jack up your bike to take the tyre off ?
          No need you repair the tyre in situ....

Comment

arwon is talking about a plug kit.

no need to remove tyre, or fill wheel with foam shit

just push it in with the tool supplied with the kit, pull the tool out and hey presto, done.

Comment

I wish those guys at tyres for bikes had told me about that!
              mmmmm sacrilicious

Comment

Rema Tip Top sealfix kit no. 5101849

It's a superstring-type kit like some of the others have mentioned, but it's a really good one. You can get it from Coventrys, although it's about $85.00 from memory.

Get either a high-volume hand/foot pump or a small electric 12v pump, 'cause it takes about 15-20 minutes to inflate a 160 rear to 36psi (let alone a larger tyre or higher pressure) with a normal bicycle pump and while it's fine to pump a tyre to 25psi and then go to a servo to finish it properly in the city, as someone mentioned earlier you can't do that on the Nullarbor and you'll destroy the tyre riding at anything less than about 36psi out there.

If you use a superstring, just remember to not go over about 110km/h until the tackiness has worn off the string. If you go faster the string can pull out and you'll have to replace it again. Once the tackiness has worn off though, it will be fine no matter what you do or what speed you ride at.

Also, get a pair of sidecutters or pliers to cut the string with because using a blade on them just plain sucks.

Comment

cheers guys thanks for your feedback. Keep them coming.
                  ELITE MOTORCYCLE AND DRIVER TRAINING
                  FOR BOOKINGS CALL 0402 127 909 OR WWW.ELITEMCT.COM.AU

Comment

with my kit i have small co2 charged cylinders... like the soda stream ones... two of these will fill the tyre with enough air to get you to a petrol station...usually about 25psi.... and Oblivion is right... it is the plug type....
                    If you have ever had to clean a wheel after using the Finileak shit you would never recommend it...
                    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

I reckon one of those \"puncture repair kit-in-a-can\" things would be your best option.. from what I know you just screw the hose onto the valve like a pump and it injects foam that seals punctures. *shrug* but you wouldn't wanna go too fast on the tyre afterwards.
                      Tried using one of those on a puncture a friend had out the back of waroona once, the hole must've been too large or something because it would start to fill up the tyre and then just start spewing out of the puncture tried blocking the puncture, filling it up and then moving, but after a couple of revolutions it just burst again. Could've just been a dodgy brand though, can't remember what it was.

Hi, Fenris! I'm so glad you and the pretty Asian were with me that day. Yeah, that goo stuff was hopeless for the size and position of puncture I had, wasn't it?

Edit: I've now got 2 of those kits like Arwon has from Peter. $40 each. Reckon they'll do the business, though I hope I never have to use them.

Comment

Working...
                      X