Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the R1 stigma is justified?

Is the R1 stigma justified?

I'll av you know, the only reason I had to think twice about owning and R1 is because of the stigma that goes with them. IE, its a common belief that most of them get dropped by their owners…… and often.

In organizing insurance I have been informed by Swann that they have a 140% payout rate for R1’s.

This is to say that within an insured period (12 months) on average, every R1 rider makes almost one and a half insurance claims.

Looks like the stigma is correct. Bloody ell!

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Im scared, Hold me :oops:

Any ideas how this compares to the other bikes in its class ?

Comment

does your new bike come with big shoes ?

Or was one of the insurance questions - Have you ever been named shoes buy any other insurer over the past five years ?

Comment

:shock:

hmm... I hear odds may be beaten???

Time will tell, best of luck and skill!

Comment

Bugger.

I imagine the insurance cost reflects this, so what's it cost to insure the R1?
          sigpic

Comment

Well i've owned two R1's and I aint dropped either.

I did make an insurance claim on the first one because someone else decided that they liked it more than I did... thieving bastards!

So I guess that if you base the stigma upon insurance statistics then, yes it looks pretty bad. However having an R1 doesnt automatically mean you are going to be wearing those big floppy shoes... that takes MAJOR practice!
            If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Nope but they said that the R1 was the worst bike for insurance claims in Australia and they have introduced a new catagory just for them (catagory 5). Out of respect for the others, they have kindly brought the Gixer 1000, the ZX10 and the CBR1000 up into the same catagory.

If ANYONE is considering buying one of these bikes, you are relitivly young, have previous claims history, a few demerit points missing and you are not too financial, consider this...... in order to own one of the above bikes it will cost you nearly $265 per WEEK just to own one of these bikes. We are talking COST here not paying off an asset. This is not included in the calcs.

Insurance $4,000 pa
              Loan Interest $2,760 pa (interest only, not P&I)
              Depreciation $5,000 pa
              Repairs & Maintenance $1,700
              Registration $300
              $13,760

Dont let it kid you, these sorts of bikes are not a cheep transport. They are an expensive toy. It is marginally less than many young people take home after tax in a working week. Think of it, the first $20,000 of your pay in a year (before tax) goes to keep your bike on the road. I hope I'm not stating the obvious but I dont think many people actually do the sums.

If you are considering a litre bike, you may like to consider a 600 and if you can...... save your doe and dont borrow on things that depreciate.

Deej

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Holy f*#k!

Definately be sticking with the TRX a LOT longer by the sounds of that.
                sigpic

Comment

This message has been brought to you by PSB.

Protecting your arse……. And your assets.

Comment

:shock: :shock: Never really thought of it that way. Not many have probly. Good info, makes you think.
                    Glad mine was bought outright seeing the real cost
                    If only the young knew; If only the old could

Comment

Hey Alan !!!! You with me here .... Ready ....

GO HONDAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why i bought a 954 blade .... Cheaper to insure and cheaper allround .... Not that there is anything wrong with R1's ( If your Loaded ) ..

Havent dropped my blade yet either ....
                      Dale Britton MotorCycles: 5/115
                      Albany Hwy, Vic Park, Ph: 9470-1234 ...

Kim Britton Kawasaki: 91 Dixon Rd, Rockingham, Ph: 9592-1113 ...

Comment

hmmmmm sounds like Mr Admin wants to be the only one in Perth with an R1

A 22 year old with 55% NCB wanting to buy a new 600 sports will only pay around $1600 with swann
                        1, Always look good
                        2, Always know what you're doing
                        3, In failure of step 2 refer to step one

Comment

just got my renewal... cost me $936 last year... this year $624 - agreed value of $14500. (but i have AGE on my side... :shock: )
                          oh and my bike is 10 years old.... better than cash in the bank
                          Loud Pipes Save Lives

Comment

Just like Klink I have also owned two R1's and never dropped either of them. It is still my most favorite bike I have owned, easy to ride (fast or slow) and very comfortable.

Well the R1 out sold all other litre class bikes (up to 2003, after that I don't know), and would suit the average 5 foot person, were as the Gixxer 1000 (being the bigger bike) best suited taller persons, well that's the way I viewed it.
                            Plus with the short wheel base and long swing arm they were very unforgiving under heavy throttle use out of corners. :oops:

Just my thoughts on the issue. 8)

Comment

just got my renewal... cost me $936 last year... this year $624 - agreed value of $14500. (but i have AGE on my side... :shock: )
                              oh and my bike is 10 years old.... better than cash in the bank
                              lemme make sure i got that all right...

10 years old..... $14500!!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT!! Thats an expensive boat anchor!!! you could buy a real bike for that much!!!!!

just playing 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X