Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing 2001 TLR

G'day People

Just bought a 2001 Suzuki TL1000R (Few Months Ago Now), and it is time for its 18,000 service. My local suzuki shop has recomended me to use mineral based oil!?!? This is because the clutch 'doesn't like' the synthetic stuff.

It is a basic hydraulic clutch, has anyone heard of this problem? In the many thousands of reviews i have read, i have never heard of this once, and can not for the life of me think of why this would happen.

Many thanks
    If life is a journey to death, then i want to just barely make it... skidding in sideways out of gas with smoke rolling from the motor on two bald tires, still drunk from last night and still owing everyone money!!!

The 'S' had clutch problems (slipping) - so prevalent that it was the subject of a recall. Same for the cooling system, and from memory - the steering damper. Get the compliance plate checked for dealer stamps to prove that all relevant recalls were performed on your bike...

BTW: Great wheelie machine!

Sprint 8)
    Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

the only recall i had on the BRICK OOPS TLR i had was the fuel switch gasket.the clutch did slip when i put synthetic in it so i went back to mineral.i only found this out after i put new plates in it :shock: thinking it was the clutch.even though it was a brick theres still something about them that appeals to me

Comment

mineral oil

Thumper,

We service a tl and at the request of the owner also use mineral base oil in the bike.

I have checked with MCCULLOCHS and they also reccommend this.

No dramas in using mineral base oil as long as you get it changed at the reccomended service intervals.

Comment

hey dude, welcome to PSB,
          i was told to run the BELRAY EXP, Semi Synthetic in my TLS, have been and havnt noticed any clutch problems, i was also told to only fill it back upto the middle of the sight glass, this reduces the chance of oil getting blown up into you airbox, which as for the TLS it is the case.
          4 Lt will cost around the $50 mark any good bike shop will have it on the shelf...i will service my bike every 5k including the filter.

and while ive gotya, check this site out, there is heaps of technical info about your bike and years of proven mods and experimental ones too,
          www.tlplanet.com look forward to making some noise wid ya,
          catchya round,
          Gonz.

Comment

i have had nothing but trouble with both semi synthetic and fully synthetic oils...it has cost me hundreds in clutch plates. I used the top of the range Shell products and had to replace the plates straight away due to slipping, i did try changing the oil to mineral before changiing the plates but it was too late..... so for my money, stay with mineral and change it every 5000.

Motul 3000 or Castrol
            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

I really didnt want the natural impurities of mineral based oil running through her vains, but it seems the way to go. Would hate to stuff up such a smooth ride atm.

Called the mechanic at Loyd Chapman (think his name is Matt), and he also recomended using mineral oil. So thats three major dealers recomending it, kind of hard to ignore.

Thanks Gonz for the website, very impressive!

Thanks Again, will keep you posted how i go. Hopefully meet up with ya's at a ride soon!
              If life is a journey to death, then i want to just barely make it... skidding in sideways out of gas with smoke rolling from the motor on two bald tires, still drunk from last night and still owing everyone money!!!

Comment

Mineral based only!!!!

Beware the Big End....

We have had 4 TLR's in the last month with bigends done. and if you replace the main bearings definatley do the big whilst there, i know i know most people with half a brain would but some don't and it comes to bie you in the arse!!! :twisted:
                ...and on the seventh day God said "Let there be light!", and Chuck Norris said "say please!"

Comment

Oops... my bad - the recalls i outlined were for the S, not the R model. I should have read the original post better :roll:

And yes, the R is also a great hoon machine!

Sprint 8)
                  Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Working...
                  X