Bike Accidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Accidents

We have all seen the latest statistics released by Swann citing that (as we all knew) cages were at fault in 70 % of accidents. The latest Bikepoint editorial also makes mention of this and a European study with similar results.

However being in the right is little compensation for being dead.

So, pretending that our State Government cared about people and not capital what could help?? “Look Bike” type advertising, driver / rider training (long term), greater policing of erratic cages?

In the end I feel that the onus will always rest on the motorcycle rider to be aware of their surroundings and practice defensive riding all the time. How many of us have not had our attention diverted for a second only to be confronted with a potential accident eg cage braking for no reason, unannounced lane changes, crap on road etc. Codes books explain this well saying that we only have so much attention and if we spend that all in one area we become vunerable.

The European study also said that in a high proportion of accidents the bike rider tried to avoid the accident but lost control during the avoidance manoeuvre.

What do those who ride think?
    I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

I'm with you Hoyoko....I think the Government is very short sighted when it comes to road safety. We live ina country where cars ( sedans, sports, utes, etc ) have far less regulations and restrictions than bikes. P's platers are killing themselves in 6 and 8 cylinders, turbocharged, imported cars through lack of learning and knowledge of driving. Imagine a system in place if a Learner driver or P plater had to drive a 4 cyl car for a year (no turbo), then was able to progress, just like we bikers do. They could then learn the way of the roads. Education well get you only so far and most people will only drive so good once in their life, their driving test. Most P platers jump straight out of the licensing centre into their brand new souped up car....and as we have seen in the last few weeks, straight into a light pole killing themselves. I think it's time that we as society looked deep and hard into the problem rather than just waxing over it with some glossy try hard answer.

*out*
    "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." - W. Churchill

Comment

Re: Bike Accidents

However being in the right is little compensation for being dead.

In the end I feel that the onus will always rest on the motorcycle rider to be aware of their surroundings and practice defensive riding all the time...
      Yeah - I agree with this attitude.

"If it's not my fault" or "I can't/couldn't do anything to prevent it", then I'm basically putting my life in the hands of the other road users around me. I prefer to think that I have some input and responsibilty for my own life.

On a side note, has anyone heard of Grant Dorrington's latest idea - getting serially convicted drink drivers back out on the roads. Can't wait to hear more of that one.
      www.alertmotorcycleschool.com

7 Cossom Place
      BAYSWATER WA

(08) 9272 3311
      0405 148 062

Comment

perhaps they could have some kind of rule for people who are continually in accidents (as the contributor to the cause) so that say, if they have a certain number of accidents in a certain period of time then they should go thru some kind of driver training course, where they examine your driving and your ability to respond in situations (a bit like those worlds worst driver shows)
        i know someone who (in her car) was hit by a guy who was on the wrong side of the road up near lancelin.
        apparently he'd had the car a week (commodore) and he had only had his license like, 6 months, and had totalled 4 cars in that time.
        no insurance.
        his mates were all in the car infront of him BECAUSE THEY ALL REFUSED TO DRIVE WITH HIM.
        apparently he was stuffing around swerving behind them and lost control.
        he had 2 pending court cases (civil lawsuits i think)
        i dont know HOW he had any points left on his license.
        theres a lot of people out there like this.
        even if they are only carpark fender benders, if you have had a lot of them, then you probably aren't capable of driving safely on a road.
        simple
        No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

When ppl start taking responsibility for their own saftey and those around them, then the road stats will improve. You can be the safest driver on the road, but when some d*ckhead comes round a corner too fast and his ute rolls over into the oncomming lane, there's generally not a lot you can do - apart from maybe seeing him comming and trying to get out of the way... See below for an example from last Friday night - Sitting at the lights of Wanneroo Rd and Hepburn Ave, heading west, when, yep...

The ute is inverted on the traffic island...

Sorry bout the poor quality, but my camera doesn't like low light...
          Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

The tests to get a ticket allowing you to pilot a tonne of metal around the streets need a few more things.

1) A spatial perception test.
            (If you can't judge distance/time you definately shouldn't be on the road)

2) A dexterity test.

3) An intelligence test.

"Sorry you're too unco, or just plain stupid, catch the friggin' bus."
            Just coz you're 17 getting your licence isn't a "right". Don't like? Call the UN.

Natural Selection will have to take care of the rest of the tools.
            It's just unfortunate that this doesn't usually operate exclusively.

:twisted:
            sigpic

Comment

It's just unfortunate that this doesn't usually operate exclusively.

Unfortunately they may already have killed a biker or your friend before Mr Darwin takes care of them.

On a bike you have to be able to identify these morons and keep clear which is not easy.

To reduce the risk I never ride at night these days unless i am late at work.
              I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

It's just unfortunate that this doesn't usually operate exclusively. <----</span>

Unfortunately they may already have killed a biker or your friend before Mr Darwin takes care of them.

Yeah, that\'s what I was referring to. <span style=\'color:black\'>---------------------------------------
                / / /

I completely agree with what everyone has said.
                But next to making it harder to get a license, what else can be done.
                The campagins they do every know and then only have a very brief affect on people.
                People will make mistakes, can't do much about that. Unfortunately on the road they are costly ones.

We all knew the risks of riding bikes before getting into it. Next to no 2nd chances.
                (Part of the reason why I waited until I was 25 to get a bike....althougth I'm only marginally more mature, older: yes, wiser: well.... )

But with all that we still ride coz we love it.
                sigpic

Comment

I agree with all of what you guys have said, but unfortunately our "Hooligan" image keeps the majority of the public from supporting us. Its up to us to look after ourselves and although we are a minority on the road I am sure with a little organisation and a united voice we could be heard...

There is no point having a cry here because it will do squat.. If someone petittioned local governments & articulated our case then I am sure we would be more likely to gain support, IT is the best time to do this with a national election.
                  Will you insure me?!

Comment

Working...
                  X