suggestions on new helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions on new helmet

been having a look around to replace my hjc.

would like something quiet and light.

any suggestions

1 of the cheaper arai's ???

i like the looks of the new shoei XR1000 , i think they are a called

the KBC range looked good

1 of the more expensive hjc's

usually my boofhead wont fit in agv, suomy or axo helemets

ta

corks, I have recently bought a new AGV and had a perfectly good Shoei but I find the AGV excelent. Good ventalation, good lack of ventelation when you need it (Cold nights) very comfortable and the lightest lid I have ever word (Carbon Fibre).

Only thing I dont like it has a slightly bigger profile than the Shoei which touches on my shoulder when I check my bind spots.

Bought it off Chookie, naturally he will look after you.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Hey Corks,

I find the Shoei X-eleven is an outstanding helmet. Probably the best thing ive had on my head since my 21st birthday party...

They are a tad pricey though, but you really get your moneys worth. Its VERY quiet, has great ventilation and really good looks.
      If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Everyone will suggest a different brand / model to you! And as we know we all have different shaped heads, so some helmets don't fit aswell as others. I would only suggest to you try some helmets on for comfort, I find the quiet helmets have good soft pading around the ears, were as the cheaper ones are a little hollow around the ear area.

My 2 cents 8)

Comment

But the well vented helmets are noisy so you have to wear ear plugs.

not sure what you budget is bit i tried on the BMW sportsintegral helmet which felt great and has real a slippery design.

Think that they are $650 which imo is good value for BMW quality.

Only thing i don't like is that it has a clasp and not a D hook fastening arrangement.
          I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

Hokoyo, in general you should always wear earplugs... travelling at 80km/h without earplugs is enough to begin damaging your hearing from wind noise alone.

In general you are correct, the better ventilated helmets are noisier, however my new Shoei is both the best ventilated helmet I've ever had and the quietest. I guess it all depends on how much time and effort the manufacturer spends on design.

Does anyone have any ideas about safety of the "clasp" design over the "D-ring" chinstrap fasteners?
            If you can... you MUST!

Comment

not sure what you budget is bit i tried on the BMW sportsintegral helmet which felt great and has real a slippery design.
              Think that they are $650 which imo is good value for BMW quality.
              your showing your age there tony BMW :?
              im not sure what you would look like wearing a BMW helmet and riding your 1000rr.i know its not about looks but hey :oops:

i use the suomy spec 1R,shoei x-eleven,agv and i find the agv to be the quietest,suomy to be the best for value and the shoie ,best for comfort.the shoei i find the loudest of the lot but i use earplugs so that doesnt concern me but its the most expensive at $1150 retail.the agv fits excellent and i find the quietest.the suomy fits good except i find the forehead section to close for my liking,but still the best for value,its still loud as in wind noise.
              if i were to buy a helmet for the road it would be the agv.i only have these helmets because i could afford to buy them and try them out.my next one will be the agv.

Comment

[quote]Hokoyo, in general you should always wear earplugs... travelling at 80km/h without earplugs is enough to begin damaging your hearing from wind noise alone.

In general you are correct, the better ventilated helmets are noisier, however my new Shoei is both the best ventilated helmet I've ever had and the quietest.

i geuss it depends on what speed your talking KLINKY BOY my x-eleven is without doubt the loudest helmet i have.maybe under 150km,s its a bit different :shock:

Comment

ive noticed a lot of ppl saying that they wear ear plugs...

do u all do this on the roads ??? or only on the track ?? and how does that affect ur ability to hear whats going on around u or wat ur bike sounds like (ie running right etc) ???
                  Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

i think earplugs are a must.if im going for a 20 ride i dont bother but if its a country run or a fang i us them.you can still hear your bike and it gets rid of the wind noise(high pitch)and i can concentrate on riding easier.

Comment

ive noticed a lot of ppl saying that they wear eye plugs...

do u all do this on the roads ??? or only on the track ?? and how does that affect ur ability to hear whats going on around u or wat ur bike sounds like (ie running right etc) ???
                      Yeaa i have seen a lot of cages with these...

Seriously though you should always wear earplugs

And Leroy the BMW helmet looks cool, you know it is made out of leather and has a place where you can clip on your oxygen mask and mike in case any of those damn spitfires are around so you can warn your komrades..
                      I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

Leroy, I'm comparing my X-eleven to my AXO RR-6 carbon fibre and old Shoei RF900.

The Axo sounds like my head is in a bucket, the wind echoes inside the helmet, and seems to amplify the outer noises like buffetting.

My old Shoei RF900 was very comfy and found that there were two noisey drawbacks... the wind whistled over the ventilation intakes and the wind is directed directly up under the helmet into the ear-wells.

The X-eleven seems to have fixed both of these problems as I dont get any whistling nor wind in the ear-wells. I havent had the chance to try an AGV or Suomy yet.

As for earplugs, I used to wear them ALL the time with both of my old helmets, however when I got my new helmet, I was lulled into a false sense of security and havent worn them for ages, so i'm starting to wear them again. You can still hear well enough, and if your bike isnt running right you can feel it, rather than hear it. Plus I cant hear the "yamaha ticking" sound anymore with the plugs in!
                        If you can... you MUST!

Comment

and its not against the law or anything dumb like that ?

cheers guys .. I will get a set for when i start riding again
                          Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

I'd be with Leroy (I think we actually have the same lid) that the X-11 is a farking loud helmet - it's designed as the top race helmet and thus for maximum air-flow and the best aerodynamics. Downside to the air-flow is the noise, pay off is that it takes some effort to fog the thing up.

Personally noise isn't a big issue for me in a lid, if it was I wouldn't get above 4 grand on a bike nevermind whack screaming exhausts on them. Ear plugs are good but I generally don't use them outside of seriously long runs - as it makes it even harder to hear what people are saying at the lights.

If I was buying another helmet I'd buy an X11. The weight, drag, lift and ventilation qualities of it are second to none, and the level of comfort is fantastic. Sure it's a little pricier than say the XR1000, but you get a lot for your money.

In the end though try a bunch of things on and go with what is the most comfortable for you.

Comment

The only time I wear ear plugs is at the track, no need to wear them on the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X