R class test on a R1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R class test on a R1

Being me and always leaving everything to the last minute, I have found myself in a predicament. :oops: Have my R class licence test on Monday and cant seem to get a bike for the test, because all the instructers ive called are booked out. so it looks like i will have to use my R1. Has anyone done their test on an R1? Just worried about the figure 8's because the turning circle is so big :?

my girlfriend did her test on her 95 CBR900RR, and she had no problems with it.... the figure eight is about slow speed control, not about how small you can get the turns..... her tester just gave her more room than he would for a CB250 or something.

Comment

i did mine on an 245kg 88 Yam FJ1200..... shouldnt be too hard

Comment

The examiner is not allowed to make you do a figure 8 in anything less than the bike is capable of.

So if you wanted, you would be able to do the R test on a fartley, and he would be obliged to take you to the nearest fully concreted paddock, where you would be able to do your figure 8's (Just, and only if the concrete was completely flat, and only if you had your vest on straight )

But yes, they cannot make you do it in a space that your bike isnt capable of turning inside.
        Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

Comment

Just think of it this way. If you cant pass the test on a R1, Should you be riding one?

Comment

Just think of it this way. If you cant pass the test on a R1, Should you be riding one?
            Cruel blow Pete, but a good point though

Comment

the R1's got a massive turning circle.....should be no probs doin ya test on it as long as u get enough space to turn.
              Spike

Comment

i dont think the problem is going to be you being able to do a figure eight on your bike reece.its going to be the bike that your on that the instructor will think to himself,
                (MMM! a 19 year old hoon on a performance bike)
                thats going to be your problem.he will most probably pick the shit out of you.anyway good luck cause you will need it buddy.

Comment

Gd luck RT u Will need it, I cant wait 4 my R class test next yr :cry:

Brendan
                  Your Life Expectancy Is Directly Related To Your Right Wrist!!!!!

Comment

Have you tired Alert? I managed to get them with less than 1 days notice,

Anyway good luck on your test.
                    My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
                    Motorcycle Panel & Paint
                    Q-Zar Fremantle
                    Rated-R Parts
                    PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
                    Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
                    CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
                    Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

Yeah I was worried that they would make me do the figure 8's in the same size space you do it on a 250, the R1 fully locked will only just do it. went out and practised today, got it as close to fully locked position as i could....

Yeah I think i might get a bit of shit from the instructer, but thats all a part of being young

Comment

Valid point i see where your coming from, thinking that im wanting to ride a slower bike just to pass the test so after i pass i can go ride my R1, but as leroy said they are going to pick the shit out of me cause of my bike and age, its a tough spot to be in, wondering if i should use a smaller and easier bike and pass or gamble on the chance that my instructor will be non-bias to my age and choice on bike.

Volvo drivers passed their test, should they be allowed on the road??

Comment

Volvo drivers passed their test, should they be allowed on the road??
                          No cage driver should be allowed on the road.....3/4 of them don't pay attention
                          "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." - W. Churchill

Comment

It all depends on how confident you are and how well you know the bike. i know when I first got my R1 even though i'd be riding for years I was a bit retarded on it for a couple of weeks. If you've had it for some time and know its silly little quirks then you'll be fine.

Watch you speed, its just too easy on a 1L bike, liberal amounts of rear brake and clutch slippage for you figure 8's, I assure you it can do them (practice beforehand). If you have a habit of looking the rear wheel, You can get away without it in the emergency stop (they give you massive distances now), it is better to use it (balances the bike better) just drag it (lean your foot on it). If you think about it, @50kmh stopping something with dual 298 mm discs and 4-piston brembos in 16meters (or whatever it is now) is not really an emergency.

Can't think of anything else right now but if you have any more questions or anything your not sure about just post it.

Comment

If you are really worried about the fig-8's, go for a ride around the licencing centre and see if you can find an obvious spot where they'll do them.

Familiarity can often make things seem a lot easier.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X