Grumble grumble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumble grumble

Thought I'd clean/lube the chain this morning, give it a good going over, check for tight spots.

Of course, I found a couple of stiffish links and one that was bloody frozen!

$250 to replace chain and sprokets :/

Oh well, that should fix the vibration I've been feeling for a while.
    Meow.

$250 - $300 is about normal for a good set of chain and sprockets these days, did you get stand amount of teeth or go up or down at all?
    1, Always look good
    2, Always know what you're doing
    3, In failure of step 2 refer to step one

Comment

I spent $410 the other day if it make you feel any better? (inc. $75 labour)
      sigpic

Comment

Ohh ouch!

Did you try cleaning the chain and putting heaps of lube on and leaving it a while before deciding it needed replacing?? Ive had a few rather stiff links on mine before now that fixed by considerable lube n attention. That seized one didnt sound to hopeful tho

Re: tooth dropping going down one on the front definately makes it more fun round the burbs :twisted: , but you loose all the top end :evil:. But having said that who goes above the state speed limit anyway?? If you have to replace the front anytime - DROP ONE!! It does make quite a nice change to such a little bike.

Comment

I've been told it's better to increase a couple on the back rather than dropping one on the front. Even though dropping 1 on the front is the cheaper option.

The front had been dropped 1 on mine and the resulting tighter angle was doing a good job of rubbing away the end of the slider on the swing arm that bit quicker.

With my new sprokets I went back to the original size for the front and up 2 on the rear. Just as good.

Anyone else know much about this?
          sigpic

Comment

Ohh ouch!

Did you try cleaning the chain and putting heaps of lube on and leaving it a while before deciding it needed replacing?? Ive had a few rather stiff links on mine before now that fixed by considerable lube n attention. That seized one didnt sound to hopeful tho

Re: tooth dropping going down one on the front definately makes it more fun round the burbs :twisted: , but you loose all the top end :evil:. But having said that who goes above the state speed limit anyway?? If you have to replace the front anytime - DROP ONE!! It does make quite a nice change to such a little bike.
            I've been getting some vibration for a fair while now, and I'm pretty sure it's caused by the chain. I'd rather get a new set and then look after it properly

Don't think I'm gonna change the sprocket ratios at all, I do some country riding and I need a little in the higher end.
            Meow.

Comment

Don't think I'm gonna change the sprocket ratios at all, I do some country riding and I need a little in the higher end.
              In that case definately dont touch it - it would drive you nuts. Freeway riding just isnt the same anymore

Comment

In that case definately dont touch it - it would drive you nuts. Freeway riding just isnt the same anymore
                just get ur 600 jo .. that'll fix it for ya
                Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

go one extra to a 15 tooth sprocket and you'll experience lower revs at same higher speed on freeway. downside is you'll need a little bit more revs at slower speeds as it'll be a bit sluggish taking off compared to before.

it's a toss up - better freeway/country riding against a tad sluggish city/burb riding. i guess it's all about what you do more of.

Comment

just get ur 600 jo .. that'll fix it for ya
                    Im working on it Slowly ....... *sigh*

Anyone want to part with a 00/01 or 02/03 gixxer 600??

Comment

There's no way i'd ever gear a ZZR250 down!!! or up!!!!

It has a very limited top end as it is!!! :shock:
                      also accelerates too slow to gear UP!!! :shock:

I'd leave it as it is... and get a bike bike later if u want more of both!

Comment

And it's done.

What a difference! The whole engine tone seems to have changed, and the bike seems to push a little more, musta been a pretty fucked chain.

Pity today is so awful, I wanna head out!
                        Meow.

Comment

I was going to suggest soaking in kerosene. Mine got a trashing last country ride and like chump I forgot to give it the once over the night before.

I spent 1hr with a brass brush and kero now its all sweet as again :0

But I guess its too late... next time.
                          Will you insure me?!

Comment

Soaking in kero isn't that easy, I have an endless chain so could have to pull lots of pieces off the bike to get at it. The best I can do is give it a good going over with a toothbrush
                            Meow.

Comment

Working...
                            X