Bike Theft Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Theft Survey

Was checking out alarms and things on the web and found this report: Its pretty cool. Very comprehensive info. I was impressed.

www.carsafe.com.au/pdf/report_08.doc

Read it and weep! (seriously, I wept!)
    The Twitter

A very interesting read. This one can go Sticky.

For those concenred about the security of Word docs, I have created a PDF for download here: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/pdfs

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

In Summary:

- Motorcycles represent 5% of all vehicles Stolen.
      - Fewer than 30% are recovered (motor vehicles have 85% recovery rate).
      - Bikes manufacutred by Honda & Yamaha accounted for over half of the thefts.
      - The big four (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki & Kawasaki) accounted for 88% of all thefts.
      - BMW's had the highest rate of recovery (62%) with Fartlies the lowest (10%).
      - Of the people surveys, 60% had their bikes stolen from their own home.
      - WA accounts for 20% of the nations bike thefts.
      - The newer models are the most stolen.
      - 5% of the time, the theif/s steal more than one bike at a time.
      - 82% of riders surveyed had insurance. 91% of these had comprehensive insurance.
      - Half of the uninsured people surveyed said that the cost of insurance was the biggest prohibitive factor.
      - The other half said that they only rode locally or their bike was secure at home (they'l learn the hard way).
      - 78% reported their bike was stored in a locked garage. Over half said they also used a disc lock, chain or padlock.
      - 13% said their bike is kept in an unlocked garage or driveway or carport.
      -16% locked their bike to an immovable object.
      - Motorcycle security is the second last consideration for people purchasing a new bike (fuel economy was last).
      - Since 1990, 1000cc bikes were the most stolen (well dahhh they didnt really make em till then).
      - On average, inured owners who had their bikes stolen were $1,230 out of pocket after receiving their insurance settlement.
      - 92% of the people surveyed said that the bike manufacturer should be responcible for improving bike security.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

- On average, inured owners who had their bikes stolen were $1,230 out of pocket after receiving their insurance settlement.

If you've got finance they've got gap insurance cover, good idea I think.

- 92% of the people surveyed said that the bike manufacturer should be responcible for improving bike security.

Would'nt hurt.

Comment

That doesn't mention the extra cost when re-insuring a replacement cause you've made a claim and lost you NCB... Assuming you can still get insured...
          Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

That doesn't mention the extra cost when re-insuring a replacement cause you've made a claim and lost you NCB... Assuming you can still get insured...
            Wonder how many did'nt re-insure....

Comment

was interesting to see western QBE have a no claim protection you can add on their policy... $27 a year, allowed to make 1 at fault claim per year.
              Nothing really, when you consider what the increased premium would be
              If only the young knew; If only the old could

Comment

Not to mention the VERY important statistic:

100% of all surveyed victims of bike theft want to beat the living shit out of the criminals responsible.
                If you can... you MUST!

Comment

when i first looked at the thread title i thought "wouldn't it be a good idea, if everyone who had thier bike stolen put it into some kind of thread, and we could map out the locations that bikes are getting stolen from?
                  and the dates/times they were stolen....

might help people avoid those kinds of areas at those times, or perhaps we might notice a pattern....
                  even if it's not your bike, but someone you know....
                  No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Worth a thought, I might just start somthing up for us to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X