Lane splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane splitting

not that i'm going to do it, but since i drive up the Kwinana everyday i see basically every m/c doing it. can anyone comment on the legality of it and whether police crack down on it?

also, what about riding for short sections in the emergency lane on the freeway - i take it that's a big no-no?

i ask these things because it's what i see happening everyday, and want to know how the police view it all, and how the general PSB community view it too.

do s earch in the forums theres a whle article on it from melkor? in one the sections

Comment

did a search before, couldn't find anything, changed my wording and found a good one

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/view...=lane+splitting

thanks

Comment

I can tell you jumping into the emergency lane will catch you 3points $100. Same as the bus lane. Infact crossing any solid white yellow purble line should get you the same. (someone correct me if im wrong)

Nothin wrong with lane splittin. in fact i lane splitted right past a cop car this morning on main street. I dont think they care unless you are being stupid or something. not sure how legal it is and dont really care...

Comment

generally (cage driving here) cops are pretty lienient on certain aspects as long as you're not being dangerous. i've sped past cops (talking less than 10kms over limit) but as long as i'm driving safe they have never cared.

i figured lane splitting would be the same. as long as i'm not doing it at 100kmh in moving traffic it should be okay (don't laugh, saw that on monday! :shock: )

Comment

as long as i'm not doing it at 100kmh in moving traffic it should be okay (don't laugh, saw that on monday!  :shock: )

probably 20 ppl in here did that on monday.....

Comment

Lane splitting is evil and should be a capital punishment offence!
              Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

I lane split all the time. There is never a time im on the road that I don't lane split really. I do it with due care though depending on the roads speed of the cars etc. I ride to work everyday from kingsley into the city and the traffic is bumper to bumper so if I didn't lane split it would end up being a 40 minute ride to work as opposed to about 20-25 mins ride lane splitting, which means about 20mins more sleep!!

In saying that, %95 of the time I don't lane split on moving traffic when riding off the freeway. I do though on stationary traffic at the lights I go up to the white line and take off.

Ive seen some bikes go up the emergency lane on the freeway and that is just sooooooo wrong!! That is stepping over the line and for sure a cop will pin your ass for that. Yesterday on the way to work I past about 8 cop cars lane splitting down the freeway. Was very un-usual to see all those cop cars going down the freeway but I think there must have been some kind of thing up at the police acadmey in joondalup. I was safe and going at an appropiate speed and not one of them cared.

As long as your safe about it I don't think the cops mind unless they are in one of their bad moods and on a rampage then it's probably a different story.

I have to say I like lane splitting as it gets boring going up and down the freeway twice a day all that way. Need to spice it up a bit :twisted:

I know that in some states in the US it is illegal to lane split at all. Now that would suck!!

P.S **wonders** if there is a person on this forum that rides a kaw Ninja - black and wears a black jacket with a pure white helmet and a racksack on the back? and rides down the freeway between 7:30am & 8:30am?......me and "you" (whoever you may be if you on this forum which your probably not) are always following each other down the freeway lane splitting.

cheers

Comment

I only lane split when there are two cars SIDE-BY-SIDE! so I can be pretty sure they know there is a vehicle beside them.

Oh yeah, and if they are not driving erratically.

I don't tend to be too concerned as to the speed of the traffic, but I only split at a speed about 10-20km/hr faster.
                  sigpic

Comment

I only lane split when there are two cars SIDE-BY-SIDE! so I can be pretty sure they know there is a vehicle beside them.
                    I can't agree more dugy.......I do the same.....that way they ain't (well you hope anyway) gonna change lane on you and take you out!

Comment

as far as i can remember reading its ok if its safe to do so, plus you gotta watch those people who don't like motorcyclists and open there door when your splitting.

Comment

Gotta watch out when car infront realises your about to split, and suddenly swerves all the way over to the right of their lane (or to the left if in the middle lane) just to stop you going through!

Bit of mirror re-arranging for them people! :twisted:
                        If life is a journey to death, then i want to just barely make it... skidding in sideways out of gas with smoke rolling from the motor on two bald tires, still drunk from last night and still owing everyone money!!!

Comment

I love it when your at the front on the white line at traffic lights and just about always 1 of the cars either side of u just can't handle the fact that your next to them or going to take off quicker so they inch a lil bit by lil bit by lil bit to get in front of u over the white line.........then try to take off fast and "stuff" u up but it just don't work!

vroooooooommmmmmmmmm bye bye

Comment

Gotta watch out when car infront realises your about to split, and suddenly swerves all the way over to the right of their lane (or to the left if in the middle lane) just to stop you going through!

Bit of mirror re-arranging for them people! :twisted:

yep this is true, some cagers really hate motorcyclists, just got to be careful. Have had someone ages ago on the kwinana freeway get all hot under the collar because I must of got to close to him, or approached his car to quickly or something. :?

Comment

I love it when your at the front on the white line at traffic lights and just about always 1 of the cars either side of u just can't handle the fact that your next to them or going to take off quicker so they inch a lil bit by lil bit by lil bit to get in front of u over the white line.........then try to take off fast and \"stuff\" u up but it just don't work!

vroooooooommmmmmmmmm bye bye

People hate being passed. It is very amusing though.

Comment

Working...
                              X