Chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chains

Ok, so I was cruising round TrickTape last night looking at all the purdy bits of bling bling for my baby, and had a look at the chains section.

Now, I'm just wondering, do the 80 buck US chains really last 4 times longer than the 20 buck US chains? Are there any real advantages to spending what seems like a huge price difference on the more expensive chain?

Just seems like a rather large difference in price for something that just spins ya back tyre!

How much do you all pay for your chains on average? Are there any to avoid, or any tricks to look out for? How hard is it to change your own chain, or is it best done at a bike shop?
    Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

Dont know what chain your lookin at but yeah you can get some crap chains. I had one chain last 1 month 400km some euro trash x-ring. then i brought a DID O ring that is still going on the bike a year and a half 10000k's later even though i keep tellin the new owner he has to oil it. Make sure you get the spokets changed at the same time or you will be wasting your money. Dont know about anyone else but these i prefer to buy from a local shop in case there is any defect you have warranty. If u never put a chain on before get the shop to do it and ask if you can watch and learn. Im sure if there not to busy most shops will accomadate...

Comment

for a 250cc I wouldn't worry so much...
      but when you're trying to pull with 150HP or so then the quality of the chain shows..

Comment

actualy i wouldnt buy any crap chain for any bike. The crap chain i had was on my 250. for the sack of $20-$50 dollars its not worth it.

Comment

Well it just makes you wonder when you have things like the DID 420 standard roller chain available on TrickTape for US$12.95:

http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=562...62&1=563&3=3254

The big hurdle to buying anything online is that unless you have a cbr or zx or something really popular you can never find what you want without really digging (zxr-250?? who tha wha where???)
          Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!

Comment

lol. try having an RZ250
            No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

I'd bet the "standard roller" chain is not an "o"ring chain. Which means that unless you clean the chain thoroughly after every ride and then oil it, it won't last very long, DID or not.

Comment

i'd have to disagree with that nigel. sure they dont last AS long, as an o ring chain, but i've always used non-oring chains on my moto-x bike, and had no problems at all.
                and i dont clean it or oil it almost ever.
                i realise a moto-x bike doens't make anywhere near as much power, but it gets a hell of a lot dirtier.

an o-ring chain will last longer, but it also will increase drivetrain losses from what i've seen (probably not an issue on anything over 250cc...)
                No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

I agree with that to an extent, but I guess it depends on what sort of life you normally get out of a chain, as it does with tyres.  

Some people get 46,000km's out of a chain, some get 15,000.

Then again, $12.95 US is cheap enough to try and not care if it lasts or not.
                  Sure $12.95 aint much to care about till your stuck on the side of the road with a busted $12.95 chain and a $150.00 towing fee. Spend the money and get something that at least is listed to match the bike. Kawasaki designers arnt all idiots.

Comment

Working...
                  X