Eyes...front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyes...front?

I had an experience today I just wanted to share with the (newer?) riders here. I'm no gun racer, see Tex or Calvin for that, but I do consider myself a pretty aware rider.

I was heading down Alexander Drive today when I saw some guys running out on the road trying to pick something up. As I got closer I saw it was a drawer from a chest of drawers that had fallen off their ute. The ute was stopped in the right lane with the hazzards on (great spot).

There was a falcon in front of me. As we came up to the ute the falcon in front of me realised the ute had stopped and slammed on his brakes. Must have been looking at the guys. I braked and then heard the sound of tyres locking up behind me.

I glanced in the rear view and saw a Toyota Landcriuser sliding down the road towards me. I let off my brake and went to the right side of the falcon, as the Cruiser skidded into my recently vacated spot and came to rest against the falcon.

I didn't hang around to see what happened after that, I was sure there was going to be a bit of a pile up.

Guys, be careful out there. The cages are looking to take us out from behind as well as in front. So try and be aware of all the vehicles around you, not just what's comming up.

Glad to hear to you pick your way out without any problems.

Friggin cagers :evil:

A good heads up to everyone.

I hate following behind dodgy builders utes/trailers, Kinda always waiting on the wheel barrow to fall off into my path or something.

Comment

:shock: :shock:
      Definately a good reminder, sorry you had to be the one to remind us. Glad your in one piece.

Comment

dude. :shock:

I'm the noob you all pwn!

Comment

the first time i took the blade out in the wet i was coming downhill to a redlight, when i realised i wanted some smokes , i was in the righthand lane but needed to turn left , to goto shops for smokes
          so i moved to left lane (in the clear) second later the 4x4 that was behind me realised there was a red light and locked it up , went through where i was, went through the big gap i was leaving between me and the car infront (as i was new to bike) , and went off road and ended up next to the car that was previously in front of me.

so yeah , now i prefer to speed and split than have a car behind me ... although ive been told "i shouldnt let other people dictate how i ride" and that it isnt a valid excuse ..
          Now my guns are blazin' Bloodclot i can see 360

Comment

Good save Melkor and good thread.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

good to hear u had a way out dude ..
              Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

Good to hear you kept your baby nice and shiny Melkor.. A very good reminder as a lot of people always think "she'll be right" when it comes to the cage who is driving behind you.
                Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

Glad you kept your head and had an out
                  And you & the bike didn't end up looking like a concertina :shock:

I think the MRA stand at Big On Bikes had a stat that said bikes being rear-ended accounted for something like 20% to 30% of bike accidents.
                  [it was high, but may have remembered the actual values wrong though]

Gotta watch the rear (not just the chicks either...)

Comment

Another ~20-30% is prolly when a bike rear ends another vehicle cause the rider is too busy admiring their reflection in a shop window...
                    Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

Good save!

Comment

nice evasion and quick thinking.

im often lane splitting just cos i feel its a nice way to protect yer ass end from a rogering.. i spend a lot of time in peak hour on the freeway and the number of times i look in peoples windows and see them friggin with their stereos, yawning, yakking and generally tossing makes me unconsciously split almost whenever the traffic slows. Its not cos im a hoon i just dont trust the person behind me

On a side note, ive had a group of guys in a commodore come up behind me at the lights and lock it up deliberatly to spook me.. funny joke got me good
                        Originally posted by Bendito
                        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Damn Cages ..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

I've had to sqeeze my way outta some toight spaces b4 aswell, keep ur eyes open all the time guys .... Consentration must be 110 %

Nice one Melks ....
                          Dale Britton MotorCycles: 5/115
                          Albany Hwy, Vic Park, Ph: 9470-1234 ...

Kim Britton Kawasaki: 91 Dixon Rd, Rockingham, Ph: 9592-1113 ...

Comment

I had a little scare lane splitting a few weeks ago.... at scabs lights out the front contacios, about 8.30 in the morning lots of traffic at the lights and i was lanespilling and a couple were crossing the roads between the cars, gave both of us a scare! Lucky i was only doing 5-10km/hr

Expect the unexpected!

Comment

I've had a school kid bounce of the front of my bike... He ran out from between 2 4WDs that were stopped in the left lane (due to red light), and I was fortunately going slow in the right lane (not lane splitting) - due to same red light... $400.00 odd later, and my bike was fixed, he didn't give me a name... just limped off and disappeared... :x
                              Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

Working...
                              X