Pocketbikes on Footpaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocketbikes on Footpaths

A forum member asked me to determine the legality of riding pocket bikes on the footpath.

Short answer no.

Long answer is this.

The pocketbike is a "vehicle" as defined by the Road Traffic Code 2000

“vehicle” has the same meaning as that term has in the Act, and, in Parts 4 to 11, inclusive and in Part 18 of these regulations, includes an animal driven or ridden but does not include a wheeled toy or wheeled recreational device
    A pocketbike isn't a wheeled toy or wheeled recreational device (skateboard).
    “wheeled recreational device” means a wheeled device, built to transport a person, propelled by human power or gravity, and ordinarily used for recreation or play —
    (a) including —
    (i) in line skates, rollerskates, a skateboard or similar wheeled device;
    (ii) a scooter being used by a person aged 12 years of age or older; and
    (iii) a unicycle,
    but
    ( not including a golf buggy, pram, stroller or trolley, or a bicycle, wheelchair or wheeled toy;
    “wheeled toy” means a child’s pedal car, a tricycle, a scooter or a similar toy, but only if it is being used by a child under 12 years of age
    Which means that pocketbikes are then subject to regulation 253 of the Road Traffic Code 2000 which states
    (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle on a path.

(2) Subregulation (1) does not apply to ¾

(a) a person driving on a part of a path indicated by information on or with a traffic sign as a part where vehicles may drive;

( a physically disabled person in a wheelchair or in a motorised wheelchair;

© a person pushing a perambulator or wheelchair;

(d) a person wheeling a bicycle, if the person is completely dismounted from the bicycle;

(e) a person who is 12 years of age or older riding a bicycle, if the path is a shared path or a separated footpath;

(f) a person under 12 years of age riding a bicycle;

(g) a person driving a vehicle across the path by the shortest route to enter or leave a driveway or lane;

(h) a person riding a bicycle, or a motor cycle, that is a postal vehicle, if ¾

(i) the path is not more than 100 m from the next delivery point;

(ii) the person takes adequate precautions to avoid colliding with, endangering or obstructing any person or vehicle on the path; and

(iii) the person is riding the bicycle or motor cycle at a speed not exceeding 10 km/h;
    So unless you're a postie and stay under 10km/h you can't do it.

There's nothing to say that these can't be ridden in ANY shopping centre carpark as these carparks are not subject to the Road Traffic Code.

So keep it to the carparks and other private property

thanks for that information melkor, much appreciated

there goes the big freo-to-scabs ride on the bike path then, eh?

Comment

Hey Melkor,

Just out of curiosity are you allowed to push a motorcycle on a footpath?
      You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Hey Melkor,

Licenced Motorbike --> No. See Section 532 above.

Unlicenced Motorbike --> No. It's unlicenced.

Although if you were to meet a cop who did you for pushing it he'd have to be one major kunt.

I have met a few though...

Comment

What about pushing a licensed motorbike through a shopping mall?

Done it once for a dare in the Galleria on a Thursday night from one entrance to another.
          hehe.
          Should've seen the looks I was getting :twisted:
          HONDA! F#@ YER!

Comment

I guess it's only going to be a problem if Westfield don't like it.

If they call the police there are a number of charges they could try for i guess.

Comment

"if it is being used by a child under 12 years of age"

in that case anything spike drives is a toy

I'm the noob you all pwn!

Comment

Hey Melkor,

Although if you were to meet a cop who did you for pushing it he'd have to be one major kunt.

I was told waaaay back, possibly by a cop, that pushing your bike across/up/down/along a footpath was ok so long as you were dismounted(ie not duck walking) and the engine was off. Also good for pedestrian crossings, entry to one-way streets & other normal pedestrian access. My understanding was that technically you're a pedestrian manually transporting a possession - so long as it's not hazardous or inconvenient etc.
                You saying this is wrong?

Comment

So unless you're a postie and stay under 10km/h you can't do it.
                  I did Posty work for a while when at Uni and (as you've probably seen) Posties do not stay under 10kms on footpaths!! :roll:

I was hoping that we could (sensibly) travel along footpaths...
                  especially in aid of transportation to a suitable racing car park.
                  Oh well...

BTW - how does it stand with those real little motorised (unlicensed) scooters and the power boosted bicycles????

Comment

two days ago in this shit weather i saw two guys on pocket bikes riding along the coast on the footpaths, funny as hell. one had what looked like the old zx7r red and black colouring. always see people riding along the coast, saw another two guys get pulled over by the cops at the start of the year, but don't know what happened to them, they were on normal pw50's.

Comment

Hey Melkor,

I was told waaaay back, possibly by a cop, that pushing your bike across/up/down/along a footpath was ok so long as you were dismounted(ie not duck walking) and the engine was off. Also good for pedestrian crossings, entry to one-way streets & other normal pedestrian access. My understanding was that technically you're a pedestrian manually transporting a possession - so long as it's not hazardous or inconvenient etc.
                      You saying this is wrong?
                      Yes you are wrong.

Comment

Yes you are wrong.
                        Oh.

Comment

so if your a postie its ok then cool i'm in.I'm a postie and i do 40+kmph on the footpaths,dodging old ladies etc.Scraping pegs is the best tho sparks round corners both sides.respect the 110cc
                          "one wheel is far better than two"

Comment

so if your a postie its ok then cool i'm in.I'm a postie and i do 40+kmph on the footpaths,dodging old ladies etc.Scraping pegs is the best tho sparks round corners both sides.respect the 110cc
                            Freekin hooligan...

Comment

one other question.... is a bike path the same as any normal footpath? are there different rules for their use, or do they both fall under the same rules and regs? cheers melkor

Comment

Working...
                              X