RAC magazine article about motorbikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAC magazine article about motorbikes

My Mum is an RAC member and they send her this quarterly wank magazine about membership deals and road "issues" and other such shite. In this edition of the magazine, there is a 3 page article about the motorbike "boom" - quite a positive spin on bikes actually, which is not what I had expected considering the RAC have a seat on the Road Safety Council and the Road Safety Council are arsecunts and hate us and think we are all mass murderers and philistines. The article even (sort of) endorses lane splitting! What gives!

Because I am such a good bloke I have scanned the relevant pages and put them up here for you to read.

Love it. A quick summary by a car club journo on the recent popularity of bikes and a multitude of safety reasons why not to do it. In the middle of the last page is a quick comment "Motorcyclists are also put at peril by drivers who are seemingly blind to their existence".

Now I'm no greeny, but surely the pulped old growth trees could have been better used to produce a one page notice which said "Wake up you fuckers and look for bikes" instead of 3 pages of all the reasons why people shouldn't ride.

On a positive side, good to see a mag made for drivers running a story on bikes, but it seems to be aimed at drivers who are also thinking about enjoying two wheels. Their Red Spot campaign gets a huge amount of interest - if they did a National Day Of Not Running Over Motorcyclists As They Cost $20k And Will Fuck Up Your Insurance Premiums campaign a bit of notice may be taken.

If you ever want to find out if the RAC think bikes are dangerous just ask for an on-line insurance quote.

Comment

RAC motto
      wank wank in the bank

I attended a safety / insurance seminar a while back

the end result they were looking for was "how can we entice riders back to the RAC"

wank wank in the bank
      Real Men Ride Nakid
      http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

Hmmm i just skimmed it and he mentioned a lot of benefits too, including splitting, in a positive context...

Maybe there's hope...

Of course it would be aimed at car drivers tho... it is a *car* club mag
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Having had RAC as a client and after the meetings with the directors etc etc etc, BW is 100% correct. Money. Thats all the fuckers are after. They'll bullshit all the way and tell you they're "value adding" for their "members" but at the end of the day its all about lining their own pockets.

Interesting read none the less even if a little one eyed.
          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
          Its the little things that make the difference
          Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Hmmm i just skimmed it and he mentioned a lot of benefits too, including splitting, in a positive context...
            Maybe there's hope...
            Of course it would be aimed at car drivers tho... it is a *car* club mag [/b]
            Splitting...

The RAC have no, and will never have any positive thoughts or ability to persuade government or lobby pollyies on this subject

Yeah yeah here it comes

THE MRA HAVE THIS CHANCE TO REPRESENT YOU ALL!

join, attend or just support this outfit financially, at the end of the day

"LET THE RIDER DECIDE"

will not exsist if you dont have representation.........
            Real Men Ride Nakid

Comment

Interesting read that,but they shuold have had it proof read by and adult befor it went to the printers.
              "YOU CAN TEACH A FAST RIDER TO STOP CRASHING,BUT YOU CANT TEACH A SLOW RIDER TOO RIDE FAST." Mick Doohan

Comment

Yeah yeah here it comes[/b]
                DISCLAIMER: I is an idiot

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
                - to maths what sex is to masturbation"
                -Richard Feynman

Comment

If you ever want to find out if the RAC think bikes are dangerous just ask for an on-line insurance quote.[/b]
                  Yup. I was quoted $1641 for what I now pay $210 from another insurer for my bike. I was flabbergasted, as I had my car insured with them, for years, and I'm old.

Comment

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ByfordBlade @ Oct 5 2007, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
                    If you ever want to find out if the RAC think bikes are dangerous just ask for an on-line insurance quote.[/b]
                    Yup. I was quoted $1641 for what I now pay $210 from another insurer for my bike. I was flabbergasted, as I had my car insured with them, for years, and I&#39;m old.
                    [/b][/quote]

you aint old..... you just smell that way love ya to death really xxx haha
                    Real Men Ride Nakid

Comment

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ByfordBlade @ Oct 5 2007, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
                      Yup. I was quoted $1641 for what I now pay $210 from another insurer for my bike. I was flabbergasted, as I had my car insured with them, for years, and I&#39;m old.
                      [/b][/quote]

They quoted me 2 grand when I bought the 636 and I couldn&#39;t stop laughing. I went with another insurer (obviously) for $450 a year.

Comment

/goes steals mum&#39;s copy too.

I&#39;m expressly not covered by the RAC. I just have roadsie in case I run out of fuel, or break something.

Comment

Splitting...

The RAC have no, and will never have any positive thoughts or ability to persuade government or lobby pollyies on this subject[/b]
                          Never said they did. But at least they&#39;re not encouraging the moronic "damn bikes cutting in line" mentality of the average fuckwit cager.

The government can go get fucked with regard to splitting for all i care. I&#39;ll continue to do it.

However, if public perception of the practice is improved in any way by that article, it&#39;s a positive.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Just got home from work tonight and noticed the mag on the bench, actually it&#39;s been sitting there for a couple of days.
                            It&#39;s normally a Sunday morning read in the bath tub followed by a dump in the bin but this post got my attention.
                            I may have to sit in the tub a bit longer on Sunday
                            I was a member of the German equivalent to the RAC a few moons back (1982) when I broke down on the Autobahn on route to the German GP in Hockenheim (before the track was castrated).
                            I had a fuel injected GPZ 1100 back then, Kwakas flag ship. The RAC dudes had no clue about the bike or how to fix it, only solution was to truck it back to my house at an astronomical cost.
                            Let&#39;s face it, they here to look after cars and I would be very surprised if they&#39;d be different here...........end of story!
                            Love the legend, Kawasaki Z 900/ Z 1000, the Mother of all Big Kawas!
                            sigpic
                            2007 ZRX 1200R
                            1977 Z 1000 A1
                            http://www.bikepics.com/members/cruelcheffy/

Comment

Thanks Dave, I will raise at next MRA meeting. But overall the feel of the article was positive for a change.
                              222 Loctite doesn't taste too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X