security guards and parking tickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security guards and parking tickets?

i've had enough bad luck with people fucking with my bike so when i work at uni late at night, i park it right up beside the side entrance. (but not so it blocks anybodys way) During the day, when there are alot of people around uni, i park where i'm meant to. But when i come late and work till late, i'll park next to the door normally.

ages ago a UWA security guard came upstairs where i was working and gave me hass about it and said he'd give me parking ticket next time he saw me. (this was at 4am in the morning)

yesterday night i left at 2am and walked to my bike and as i was gearing up he walked up and said i was lucky because a minute later and he wouldve given me a fine.

I understand he's doing his job and all, but seriously....cut me some fucking slack please. Its some ungodly time of the morning and there are a whole of THREE people using the building. i'm not in anybody's way, i'm not causing any trouble or making anyones life any harder.

Other security guards have seen it there and not said a word to me. Its just this one that always makes trouble.

so i was just wondering, do security guards actually have the authority to give out parking fines?....i thought parking was a whole different thing to security. i'm going to continue to park there because i'm sick of people fucking up my bike. If he does fine me, UWA can go fuck themselves.

They're a bit like wilson parking in that regard. Its a private service. They can give you a fine if they like but enforcing it? No chance unless there's some special thing about uni or some form of disciplinary action that could potentially be taken against you internally. I seriously doubt it could be taken any further than that.
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

as an ex employee of UWA(many moons ago) the security staff at UWA, are the parking cops within the campus grounds, anywhere outside campus is the councils responsibility.....

Comment

You will find that University campuses have their own parking bylaws, that are endorsed by Parliament and that campus security have jurisdiction for the bylaws.

Comment

And enforcement for them is a doddle, they just don't give you a degree or re-register you for any courses until you pay your parking fines. Works well for them, the chump paying the bill doesn't have much of a choice.
          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

since you dont have a parking permit, they should have no idea who the bike belongs to, and hence couldnt enforce a fine.
            unless they can get the police to give them a name based on the rego number, or they get the council to give you a fine

pull your number plate off
            Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

pull your number plate off[/b]
              what penalties could this incur? would they tow/wheel lock my bike? i'm just not comfortable with the idea of leaving my bike at the other end of the carpark in the middle of the night. so even thought they might fine me, i'll take that risk.

Comment

IMO...

in order to infringe for an offense, you must have disobeyed a direction or sign.

if there is a sign saying "no parking" (or whatever...) the fine is for disobeying the signage / direction.

hence, the fine will be for "sec 48, parking in a no parking area" (sec just made up)

if hes just power trippin, ask him ( nicely lol ) what the section and act the fine is for.
                fines are legal documents where you must be informed on what it is for either verbally or written, so talk to him BEFORE
                you clash heads again and ask him what the bylaw/reg is for parking there. also asking him to point out the appropriate signage to explain where
                you can/cant park.

if he just gives you a fine with no information and walks of, how can you pay/appeal somethin you know nothing about.
                well...thats the catch, it is YOUR responsibility to know where you stand....find out from the demon himself.

like train stations, there are signs at every entrance/exit explaining peoples rights linked to infringments...hands up who reads ANY signs ROFL!

Comment

power trippin.

Comment

This one guards just having an authority trip. I wouldnt worry about it too much. Unless you do something to realy piss the prick off there should be no reason to fine you. It might be worth chatting to the uni about it and just ask the question. No harm done in doing so. Just tell them your situation. Im sure if its at that time of the night, its not in anyones way and getting a fine would be farking rediculous. I dont think anyone halfway reasonable would deny you that.
                    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                    Its the little things that make the difference
                    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

fines are legal documents where you must be informed on what it is for either verbally or written[/b]
                      if he's just said to me "you cant park there anymore" does that constitute as verbal informing?

this is my last semester and i work till late in the morning. i have a load of things to do and i just dont have much time to deal with trivial things like this. thanks for the advice.

Comment

aahhhhh a topic close to my heart. with so many incidences of motorcycle theft and vandalism at Murdoch, I too park/parked my bike outside the science computer labs after hours (8pm - early hours of morning) and I also have had a few words/arguments with Murdoch Security.

They like to argue that parking a bike on a footpath is a fire/safety hazard which is fair enough and I like to argue that they dont have the competency nor the capacity to do their job (which I feel is fair enough).

what is the fine at UWA??? IIRC the fine at murdoch is $10 if u pay within a week........

i dunno I believe they do...... and If u have outstanding fees at your university then you cannot graduate until you have paid them all.

try sending an email to the head of security expressing your concerns about after hours parking. I did to mine and they installed a steel cable at the main motorbike bays (dunno if the two are related though )

edit: also, as ppl have stated, if you spend heaps of time at the computer labs after hours, get to know your security guards. there are a few nice ones at Murdoch who will pop their heads in the computer labs as they do their rounds (a couple of them have even had a cup of coffee with us in the common room)

agree'd this one might be letting the power get to him and isnt sympathising with student folk.
                        Have you won the game recently?? Post here

Comment

with MOST (not all) laws, the key word is REASONABLE.

if you parked you bike in a deserted paddock in the middle of the night, no one around but under a no parking sign.
                          would it be REASONABLE to cop a fine?
                          if it was reasonable to believe a jet plane was going to land there and it was endangering hundreds of people?..then the fine would stick because it is reasonably justified.

just like a cop CAN pull you over if he has a REASONABLE reason to do so.

do some research, its boring as hell but you gotta know where you stand.

Comment

Yeah sounds like he nothing better to do, especially at that time of the morning.

Shouldn't he be around patrolling for theives and vandals that early???

If all else fails give him a box of donuts, it might get him off your back
                            `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loony @ Oct 6 2007, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
                              fines are legal documents where you must be informed on what it is for either verbally or written[/b]
                              if he&#39;s just said to me "you cant park there anymore" does that constitute as verbal informing?

[/b][/quote]

he has to give you a reason on WHY you cant., like "you cant park there because it is a fire hazard".
                              he cant tell you where you cant park just for fun.

ask him to see the fine which SHOULD have detailed information on "how long you have to pay"
                              where you can pay..

AND

what it is for.

you have a right to know this information. if he dont wanna give it to you, then he has not got a leg to stand on.

Comment

Working...
                              X