Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YZF600R why dont they still releasein aus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YZF600R why dont they still releasein aus?

I noticed that there is and older one for sale at the honda shop, so was doing some research and was amazed to find that the yzf600r 'thundercat' is still in production.

Yamaha YZF600R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why don't we get it?
    Not a big enough market to have competition for the R6?

There doesn't seem to an abundance of fully faired midsize bikes, I like the seat position or the fz6 but even the faired model only has a bikini.

Interesting, I didn't know they still made them. The Thundercat and the ZZR600 used to own the middleweight sports market here. But does a market for these sorts of bikes still exist in Australia? I would imagine the resurgent sports/naked category killed off that segment...

Comment

I'd say you hit the nail on the head.

Australia as a market is barely big enough to support the bikes we have
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Damn, from the wiki article it sounds like just the sort of bike I would love to own next.
        sigpic

Comment

90hp comfy bike you may as well go for an F800
          Or ER6n, etc...

Plenty of competition in that segment already.

Methinks the FZ6s is probably easier for Yamaha to support in Australia as it's more closely related to the R6... and "near enough" a match for the Thundercat in terms of who would buy it, for the most part.
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Yeah the er6 is not nearly as quick and i prefer the full fairing. I like the vfr 800 but that is soon to be upgraded to 1000cc...

Seems like it would be the perfect bike for those coming off there 250's wanting a 'sport' bike but still needing practicality in comuting long distances.

Comment

Originally posted by shane1 View Post
              Yeah the er6 is not nearly as quick and i prefer the full fairing. I like the vfr 800 but that is soon to be upgraded to 1000cc...

Seems like it would be the perfect bike for those coming off there 250's wanting a 'sport' bike but still needing practicality in comuting long distances.
              Well I guess they are around but in second hand guise only. They are an example of 1990's marketing where some of the Jap makers thought (and they were right) that some people didn't want a balls-out supersports, with the hardcore riding position, non existent pillion seat and aggressive styling, so they used the same engines and gearboxes and put it in a chassis and styling package that was more sedate with a more relaxed riding position but still competent enough to get up and boogie if you wanted it to. People these days generally hang on to them as commuters etc.

Comment

Originally posted by shane1 View Post
                Yeah the er6 is not nearly as quick

You sure on that? Pretty sure the ER6 weighs about 70kg less and isn't THAT far down on power...

Forgetting about "on paper" speed, followed munches on Teenie's ER6 the other day (catching up to the noob ride after staying back to help with the dead zzr) and though we weren't riding *hard* by any stretch, it seemed to go alright.

Plenty of torque i would wager...

Comment

No complaints from me so far.

Comment

General information

Model:Kawasaki ER-6n
                    Year:2006
                    Category:Naked bike
                    Displacement:649.00 ccm (39.60 cubic inches)
                    Engine type:Twin
                    Stroke:4
                    Power:71.07 HP (51.9 kW)) @ 8500
                    RPMTorque:66.00 Nm (6.7 kgf-m or 48.7 ft.lbs) @ 6700 RPM
                    Bore x stroke:83.0 x 60.0 mm (3.3 x 2.4 inches)
                    Fuel system:Injection. 2 x Keihin fuel injection. ط 38 mm
                    Fuel control:DOHC
                    Cooling system:Liquid
                    Gearbox:6-speed
                    Transmission type
                    final drive:Chain
                    Dry weight:173.0 kg (381.4 pounds)
                    Seat height:785 mm (30.9 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
                    Overall height:1,095 mm (43.1 inches)
                    Overall length:2,100 mm (82.7 inches)Wheelbase:1,405 mm (55.3 inches)Chassis and dimensions
                    Frame type:Diamond, high-tensile steel
                    Front suspension:Telescopic fork
                    Rear suspension:Offset laydown single-shock with adjustable preload
                    Front tyre dimensions:120/70-ZR17
                    Rear tyre dimensions:160/60-ZR17
                    Front brakes:Double disc
                    Rear brakes:Single disc
                    Power/weight ratio:0.4108 HP/Kg
                    Fuel capacity:15.50 litres (4.10 gallons)

YZF600

General information
                    Model:Yamaha YZF 600 R Thundercat
                    Year:2003Category:Sport
                    Displacement:599.00 ccm (36.55 cubic inches)
                    Engine type:In-line four
                    Stroke:4
                    Power:100.10 HP (73.1 kW)) @ 11500
                    RPMTorque:65.80 Nm (6.7 kgf-m or 48.5 ft.lbs) @ 9500 RPM
                    Fuel control:DOHC
                    Dry weight:187.0 kg (412.3 pounds)
                    Seat height:805 mm (31.7 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
                    Wheelbase:1,415 mm (55.7 inches)Chassis and dimensionsSpeed and acceleration
                    Power/weight ratio:0.5353 HP/kgOther specifications
                    Fuel capacity:19.00 litres (5.02 gallons)
                    Color options:Silver, Red, Blue

Probably closer than i thought.

I imagine the er6 to be quite thin and thus feel nice cornering so for the noob ie me woul probably be quicker early on. For experienced riders on 'paper' it seems the thundercat would be hard to keep at bay??

I do like the er6f it just really doesn't have much competition, I guess the nakids are just too popular, an aftermarket fairing on an fz6 would be cool.
                    Last edited by Satan1; 09-10-2007, 12:48 AM.

Comment

I know what you mean, there isn't much in the way of sporty looking faired bikes, that aren't too full on.

I was chasing the same type of bike, never liked many nakeds, but the er6 grew on me...

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
                        Well I guess they are around but in second hand guise only. They are an example of 1990's marketing where some of the Jap makers thought (and they were right) that some people didn't want a balls-out supersports, with the hardcore riding position, non existent pillion seat and aggressive styling, so they used the same engines and gearboxes and put it in a chassis and styling package that was more sedate with a more relaxed riding position but still competent enough to get up and boogie if you wanted it to. People these days generally hang on to them as commuters etc.
                        Were ther any reliability problems with these motors? do you think they will kick on for a few years yet?

Comment

Ahhh i thought the thundercat was a lot heavier than that (dunno where i got 240kg from, maybe its wet weight of the old 1000)

But yeah, with regards to the speed/power thing.. The ER6 comes on quite a bit earlier, but less total power.

In day to day street riding, on my 600rr for example its pretty rare that i ever see peak power - as it's 100-120km/h in first (well yes OK it's not that rare off the ligts but still)... even peak torque is up past 10k rpm. Meanwhile at legal speeds the ER6 is making more torque...

Sure, on track it would get left for dead though...

Comment

Hmmm, seems like a good choise for commuting weekend fling, I think i will have to have a look at one when the time comes,
                            just read suzuki are releasing a fully faired bandit gsx650f? anyways seems like maybe they are following kawasaki.
                            Now if only yamaha and honda would release one....

Comment

I bought the Thunderace for the same reason.
                              I wanted a bike which was fast enough to be stupid, whilst being comfy enough to do the miles, and carry a pillion.
                              Last nights ride it did everything I asked of it c/w pillion as well as a bit of extreme velocity on the way home.
                              I like the looks of the R1 et al, but the Thunderace does everything I need.
                              I imagine the Thundercat is the same (it should be, its basically a down sized 'Ace)

Comment

Working...
                              X