Stating the Obvious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stating the Obvious

Who comes up with this crap. These people get funding to state the obvious. My extensive research has indicated that bikes come in different colors!

PS: Sorry if it's a repost.

Motorcycle face highest risks: research

9th October 2007, 21:19 WST

Motorcyclists are getting hurt more often than other road users, new research by two federal government organisations has found.
    More than 5,000 motorcyclists were put in hospital in 2003-04 because of road crashes compared with 15,769 car occupants, research by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau found.
    But the institute's Jesia (Jesia) Berry said motorcyclists were getting injured more often than car drivers.
    "We found that the rate of serious injury in terms of vehicle kilometres travelled was 34 times higher for motorcyclists than car occupants," Ms Berry told AAP.
    "Motorcyclists are having a lot more injuries for the same distance travelled."
    The research also found almost 50,000 people ended up in hospital because of vehicle crashes across the country.
    On average the 46,862 who were hospitalised spent 4.6 days in hospital, contributing to a total of 214,484 hospital bed days.
    The research also found males were more likely to be injured.
    "Males had more than twice the rate of non-fatal injury, 320 per 100,000 population compared to 149 for females," Ms Berry said.
    Report author Louise Flood said young people were the demographic most likely to be involved in an accident with a train.
    "Serious injury rates involving train accidents were highest among youth and young adults," Dr Flood said.

Heh awesome. Not one, but *TWO* government organisations were needed for that.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

And that is why they get paid the big bucks :stupid:
      `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

Well personally Im glad they have told us this otherwise we would never have been aware of the dangers involved.

Its always a pleasure to see our taxes going into something so worthwile... I think....

Comment

So young guys on motorbikes should ride on railway lines...
          Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

I wondered recently - why can an insurance company charge me more for my insurance, simply for being male and under 26, when I've never had any form of at fault accident? Only accident I've ever been in was when an L driver went through a stop sign and t-boned me. Very nearly avoided that too.

Surely it's sexual discrimination and age discrimination?

Something else I've wondered, the stats on fatalities show men are more likely to be involved in a fatal accident. They also show something like 1/3 of fatalities involve someone not wearing a seatbelt. I wonder what would happen if you took away the statistics from those not wearing seatbelts (hypothesis that women would be more likely to wear a seatbelt).
            No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Originally posted by IPIT View Post
              More than 5,000 motorcyclists were put in hospital in 2003-04 because of road crashes compared with 15,769 car occupants
              ahh, am i reading this wrong. only 5000 bikers were in hospital comapred to 15, 769 cagers?????

Comment

how many bikes do you see on the road, compared to cars...

Therein lies the problem.
                No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

No you're reading it right, but you also have to compare number of bikes on the road compared to number of cars.
                  Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

Originally posted by sathid View Post

Don't be stupid.

Sexual or racial discrimination does not apply if you're white and male.
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by sathid View Post
                      I wondered recently - why can an insurance company charge me more for my insurance, simply for being male and under 26, when I've never had any form of at fault accident? Only accident I've ever been in was when an L driver went through a stop sign and t-boned me. Very nearly avoided that too.
                      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtEp5yc-g3A]YouTube - Auto Insurance[/ame]

Not their best, but still good.

Comment

Working...
                      X