Car oil in a Bike ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car oil in a Bike ?

Has anyone tryed using normal car oil in there bike ?

Came across this interesting story.

Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils

Hmmmm...Maybe if I had a ct110 I might consider trying it...But I cant see myself putting any ol oil in a high end sports machine.

But then ct110's still run happily on used cooking oil....

Comment

no

here are my remaining characters I must enter
      Originally posted by kyliejane
      benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
      Originally posted by harns
      Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kwakas View Post
        no

here are my remaining characters I must enter

Luvin it!!!

Comment

Interesting article

makes no mention though of the clutch issue: many car oils have PTFE or similar additives as "friction-reducers", which is not good for motorcycle wet clutches where you want them to grip...
          "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

Nope.

However, the prices on that page look far worse than what we deal with here.

I got honda GN4 oil and filter for my 600rr the other day for about 50 bucks or so, which is on par with the typical price you'd pay for some castrol semi-synth for the cage - and I know it's the correct viscosity, etc for the application...

If you've got a bike with a dry clutch, i say go for it - but if it's a wet clutch you'll need to make sure the oil will work properly with that...
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

And if your bike is special enough to have a dry clutch you probably run it on champagne anyway, so you might as well feed it expensive oil...
              "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
                And if your bike is special enough to have a dry clutch you probably run it on champagne anyway, so you might as well feed it expensive oil...

nah, oil from baby humpback whales only in mine.

Comment

yep many times with no probs at all. Just make sure the viscosity is right...

Comment

But what about the wet clucth issue???

BTW, I ain't no mechanic, just repeating what I've been told???

Comment

This is an issue I have looked into a lot over the last 16 years of riding.

For 99& of the use there is NO difference between car, bike or light diesel oil. You can run all 3 in your bike. In fact if you have a look at a lot of oils now they even say they can be used for all 3.

I have run, car, diesel and bike oil in my bike. If a 270kg bike with a rider just as heavy can do it without the clutch slipping than its fine.

However....

There are SOME car oils (mostly 30W) that have friction modifiers in them. Castrol is a good one for that. But they all let you know. Sometime they call it energy effecient or fuel saving or some other crap.

Diesel is actually good to run in a bike as there are no additives that could stuff up a wet clutch. The only diesel oils to avoid are high ash content ones designed for Roadtrains etc.

When I pull my finger out I'll see if I can dig up the links I have including one site in the US where Shell itself says Rotella is fine for bikes.

There are no super-duper magical ingredients in bike oils (that aren't in car or diesel) to make them any better. Its just clever marketing.

As long as it has the correct API SG/SL rating etc. you are fine.
                      You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Originally posted by speed3 View Post
                        nah, oil from baby humpback whales only in mine.

^^^

sorry NOT ENOUGH CHARACTERS!
                        `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

Ive run car oil before, the only reason i use bike oils now is because i get when im at the bike shop buying a filter. I ran penzoil GT performance in a CBR600, did 105000k's on it with no dramas at all. Stripped it down at 70k, mainly to reseat the valves, thought i might as well check it all out while its apart, all bearings were fine, bores and rings good, no exessive wear anywhere and it was the cleanest motor inside i have pulled apart. As others have said, stay away from oils with friction modifiers in them, will stuff a wet clutch

Comment

This was before Tyson ran the bike on car oil. When it blew its load, we just scavenged some car oil from around the traps, went out and did the rest of the demos.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNIuKuUBgvw"]YouTube - Firebusa at Hoonavation[/ame]

Comment

I've got some Motul ester based oil I'd like to use in my bike, I wonder if I can use that.

Comment

Working...
                              X