Tyre Wobbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Wobbling

Sometimes when im riding along, maybe with one hand, my front wheel and handlebars will start wobbling, even if im going 60kph. Does anyone else get this or know why it happens? Basically a new tyre so its not a counterweight thing...
    Last edited by Motormaniac; 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM.
    I love riding, especially yamamas

hows the hub/bearings? Any play in them. Whats the suspension like, good bad or ugly?

Comment

nah its all good. Great condition bike, only like 3 years old, just on 10k k's.

Comment

On the dirt bike I used to get head shakes. I raised the forks through the triple clamps about 1cm and it got rid of it. Don't know if this is an option for you

Comment

hmmm wouldnt know either. I do have a fork brace, would this have a hand in the problem maybe?

Comment

aren't those things meant to improve stability/feel, etc. Is it a stock item or easily removed? What bike?

Comment

gpx 2fiddy. wouldnt know. We (me and dad) thought it would help keep the forks and stuff straight in the event of a collision but im not sure about the stability.

Comment

What tyres are you running? I've had three bikes which got wicked wobbles around that speed with half worn Bridgestone BT-020s on 'em, changing the tyre to another pattern (brand) which didn't scollop so easily made problem disappear.
                "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Did it get the shakes before it was installed? What are the head bearings like. Is there any play in them?

ps. I am going to msg your brother at inconvenient times because he has gone to the GP again

Comment

umm well i didnt notice it then but i also wasnt trying to ride with one/no hands either. Not sure about the head bearings. How do i check em??

Comment

As choco suggested, maybe a tyre thing.

To check the head bearings just make sure that there is no play in the head and that when moving the bars side to side you do not hear the bearings scratching around.

Comment

yeah well i had the wobbles on the stock gpx tyres and thought changing them would get rid of it. it did for a little but now its back! and the new tyres are those dunlop ones, apparentely the only tyres that fit a gpx these days...
                        yeah steve just sent me a nice pic of Apollo Bay.

Comment

try removing the brace to see if this gets rid of the issue (having a read on the web this seems to work for some people) It may need to be re-adjusted/re-mounted

have a read through this
                          front wheel remounting - when a fork brace is present - ST-Owners.com Forums

Comment

okie dokie. i'll check it out, but probably wait til dad gets back from philly isle.
                            cheers taint!! but if u find out more, please post!!
                            more suggestions are welcome from everyone still!

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
                              As choco suggested, maybe a tyre thing.

To check the head bearings just make sure that there is no play in the head and that when moving the bars side to side you do not hear the bearings scratching around.
                              well tried that, no sounds of any friction that shouldnt be there. Any other suggestions anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X