Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need info on supermoto's/ motards

anybody here got one??

im lookin at gettin one sometime and wanted to hear any opinions/pros/cons bout em.

thought would be a bit of a fun change from a sportsbike.

proly looking at a DRZ400SM or something similar.

cheers all.

I have a drz-400sm They are a lot of fun to ride, not bad on the fuel (tiny tank though) . Excellent commuter but I would not want to try and keep up with a sportsbike on a long cruise, the seat will cut you in two over a long distance.

On the plus side they move almost when you think about it and you can get them fairly out of shape without too much fear of falling off.

Getting power out of the drz is just a matter of $$ as the engine has been around for years. Pipe and jet free them up a bit, can get a 434cc big bore kit and 475cc stroker kit. Long travel suspension (11 inches) means that they soak up bumps unlike anything else on the road

Comment

Aprilia SXV.
      When you absolutely positively have to lose your licence.
      Accept no substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
        I have a drz-400sm
        You mention using it as a commuter, how do you go with servicing?
        I got the impression that these sort of bikes need far more regular servicing than your standard sportsbike, and racking up the kays daily might be a bit of a PITA.
        FTP

Comment

I have a Husaberg FE650 motard for sale with about 1500 k's on the clock. awesome bit of kit, road registered and all the stuff you need to race except the oggy type slide protection.
          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
            Aprilia SXV.
            very much want...but out of my price range.

Originally posted by BigTim View Post
            I got the impression that these sort of bikes need far more regular servicing than your standard sportsbike, and racking up the kays daily might be a bit of a PITA.
            good point. i'd also like to know how difficult they are to maintain compared to a sportsbike...if it means i'll have to be servicing it more often, think i might stick to a sportsbike.

Originally posted by arwon View Post
            I have a Husaberg FE650 motard for sale
            got a price arwon? is that the blue and yellow one?

Comment

yes it is the bue and yellow one, I am storing for a friend who seems to be staying in canada alot longer than first thought, I will email him for price approval before i post it. I know he was talking around $10k. this bike is as new, you will not find one in better condition second hand anywhere.
              Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

been thinking of a drz myself...only problem being in my area offroad/offroad style bikes tend to disappear a lot. if it wasnt for that reason id get one - they look like a laugh
                Last edited by cebafed; 11-10-2007, 08:39 AM. Reason: whaa??

Comment

Originally posted by BigTim View Post
                  You mention using it as a commuter, how do you go with servicing?
                  Thats one of the main reasons I went with a DRZ because I was looking at Kato's and Yami's and Huskies aswell.
                  The servicing is the same as most bikes, 1st at 1000km, 2nd at 6000km and every 5000-6000 after that.

They are not race machines like the above bikes, they are no-where near as high strung so maintanance is much easier, no need to change the oil every 500km (unless you want too)

And if you don't mind riding on the dirt with a 310mm front disc the wheels of a drz400e will fit onto it
                  The forks are similar to those on the Rm250 motocrosser (different valves, slightly reduced travel. But are interchangeable)

They could have done with a 6th gear, but dropping the rear sprocket to 39 teeth from 41 gets rid of the buzziness as 120km

Comment

I was looking at these a little while ago.
                    http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f14/motard-36599/
                    I ended up deciding it was probably too impractical for me day to day, but would love to have one as a second bike.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by vbroom View Post
                      good point. i'd also like to know how difficult they are to maintain compared to a sportsbike...if it means i'll have to be servicing it more often, think i might stick to a sportsbike.

Bear in mind that a sports bike = generally 4 cylinder with a fairing.

Supermoto = single with no fairing

if it's only slightly more often that it needs servicing (can't say I see why it would be the case?), then it could well work out cheaper to run anyway - your labour and parts costs will be way down...
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                      X