Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blind spot

Don't know if this should be in the rants thread but,
    To the two 250 riders who thought it would be a good idea to sit in the blind spot of my 4wd today on the freeway, you're lucky I ride and saw you coming. You F^%$#*& clowns! FFS, don't sit where the driver can't see you, I know you're both on P's, but surely your instructor warned you about this. By the way, sitting besides each other might look cool in Easyrider, but it's not good in the real world. Wake the F*&^ up and realise that 2 tonne of 4wd is going to hurt!!

I was following a Blue GPX who thought the grease strip was the road line he should follow too

Comment

What's the bet that if you did hit them, they'd be on here posting about "fucking cages"

Goes both ways peeps, if you're silly enough to put yourself in a position where you're likely to get fucked up, don't be surprised when it happens...

Not to excuse the wankers out there, but yeah... you don't need to go making the odds worse... :|
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
        I was following a Blue GPX who thought the grease strip was the road line he should follow too
        That could end up being an expensive lesson learned, especially when it gets wet.
        Love the legend, Kawasaki Z 900/ Z 1000, the Mother of all Big Kawas!
        sigpic
        2007 ZRX 1200R
        1977 Z 1000 A1
        http://www.bikepics.com/members/cruelcheffy/

Comment

must be something about the heat. I was next to some dude on a gsxr-750 today who thought the only good time to try and overtake was when the car in front was changing lanes.

Comment

^^^ heat = fine weather only riders come out.

“Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
              ^^^ heat = fine weather only riders come out.

No kidding, went down to burswood and back today for the new bike an must have seen 4 or 5 different riders in notheing more than shorts and t'shirts.

dam I value the use of my limbs and the skin on them!
              `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
                Originally posted by cruelcheffy View Post
                That could end up being an expensive lesson learned, especially when it gets wet.
                Are you guys serious? Where was this alleged 'grease strip' Viper? Coz riding in the middle of the lane is NOT dangerous. FFS. Stopping on the oil patch at intersections is stupid because braking or accelerating on a possibly slippery surface can be dangerous... Riding in the middle of the lane isn't.

I generally stick to one side of the lane as its the cleanest bit of road, but I'll switch sides and cross them at intersections - but the amount of times people have a go at people on here for doing it is ridiculous. I've had new riders I've spoken to about roundabouts and how hard they're making cornering for themselves... When I ask why they're doing it it's because "I have to stay out of the grease strip." For the love of god! Its part of the road! Use it!

DON'T do it at lights or where traffic is often stationary as THAT is where its slippery. But in the middle of the lane in general? Why the hell not?
                Pfft. What a load of piffle.

Originally posted by Karlos View Post
                No kidding, went down to burswood and back today for the new bike an must have seen 4 or 5 different riders in notheing more than shorts and t'shirts.
                dam I value the use of my limbs and the skin on them!
                Contrary to what you believe, I'm sure they do too despite their choice of attire.
                Last edited by Ice; 13-10-2007, 04:49 PM.
                "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

was in the right lane on the left hand side and got overtaken, overtooken(?) by a bloody hells angels harley on the right side of the lane.This is the second time a biker has overtaken me in the same lane...man that's soooo bad! I wished him hell...bikers be ware life can be very short! or painfull if you ride without protection!
                  I am a rebel....
                  [http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][/url]

Comment

[quote=Ice;626522]Are you guys serious? Where was this alleged 'grease strip' Viper? Coz riding in the middle of the lane is NOT dangerous. FFS. Stopping on the oil patch at intersections is stupid because braking or accelerating on a possibly slippery surface can be dangerous... Riding in the middle of the lane isn't.

I'd have to disagree ice, without getting into a big debate.....

From when I first learnt to ride RE and then again R my instructor and others always said stay out of the oil. If it is wet and you do have to emergency brake the first thing you'll loose is your front end.

As you would know we have a small enough contact patch with the road already without it being wet and on top of that riding up the middle. Maybe not as bad in the dry but i still never go there, and yes when going through roundabouts etc you do cross over it breifly. I don't think it's a good thing....

And about the skin comment if they did value theirs (which of course they do) then they would and should cover up. Regardless of it being 20 or 40 degrees. I know it feels nice and airy but it doesn't take long to suit up!

Anyways just my opion ice, not questioning your riding ability ok?
                    `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

Hmmm i think ice is making the point that the oil there is minimal.

Personally tho i generally ride in the wheel ruts to avoid the screws, nails, bricks, etc that may be out of sight behind the car(s) in front.

As to going squid style, thats their choice - i have been known to do it on occasion (jeans at least, but no jacket) as a calculated risk - though now I have a proper leather jacket I'll likely be doing it less, as it seems to be quite well vented.

Some people won't even ride on the road because they consider it too dangerous. Some won't ride in anything less than leather. Some ride in shorts. We might think it's stupid, but it's their choice...

Plenty of cyclists out there in bike pants, and they deal with the same traffic we do... having said that, i'm generally in full gear.
                      Last edited by thro; 13-10-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Explanation removed... Thro got it. That's exactly what I'm saying. On all points.

The oil patch is a patch. It is a buildup that forms wherever cars sit stationary. ie Lights, intersections etc It is not a line that runs up the middle of every road everywhere you go. The fact that something so inocuous instills such horror in many riders only serves to make them more nervous and unsettled on the road which is surely worse than swapping from one wheel track to another.
                        Last edited by Ice; 13-10-2007, 05:22 PM. Reason: Explanation no longer required.

Comment

Originally posted by Aisiah View Post
                          was in the right lane on the left hand side and got overtaken, overtooken(?) by a bloody hells angels harley on the right side of the lane.This is the second time a biker has overtaken me in the same lane...man that's soooo bad! I wished him hell...bikers be ware life can be very short! or painfull if you ride without protection!
                          Any other lanes free?
                          I saw some cock cruising in the outside lane of the freeway, arm resting on tank.
                          Just changed lanes and shook my head as I passed.
                          Over this getting angry at idiot road users.
                          Fuck em.

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                            Personally tho i generally ride in the wheel ruts to avoid the screws, nails, bricks, etc that may be out of sight behind the car(s) in front.
                            On that point - I don't ride in the middle of the lane behind cars EVER. For a couple simple reasons... The ones Thro has highlighted and also the fact that it is much easier to get stuck there. If the car does something stupid I want to be able to go around it and the best place for me to be to do that is generally to the left of the right lane or the right of the left one. 99% of the time I'm in a wheel track as its the cleanest, safest and most visible place to be - I just don't understand this terror people have of stepping outside it.

If the right and left tracks are potholed, rough and worn while the middle is smooth and unrutted... Where will you ride?

Comment

Always alway always have an escape route.
                              Hard shoulders and cycle lanes are good things to line up.

Comment

Working...
                              X