Learning Abt My Bike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Abt My Bike...

Ok so most of this will come naturally to you guys BUT as owning a bike is new to me I'm gunna post this even knowing I may cop some crap.

Firstly - didn't read the owners manualy - who ever does? so.....was really surprised when I go to take off the other day and my new bike just stopped.....reason and lesson number 1. Bike will not go if the stand is down - COOL !

Secondly - strange question BUT I'm gunna ask anyway - why does my petrol tank whistle at me ......? Is this normal? Wot causes it? Scared the shit out of me - thought it was gunna blow ! ha ha ha

Thirdly - just a proud moment - for me anyway - I took my baby down the freeway today for the first time- again scared the shit out of me cos it was like a major wind tunnel BUT I had to do it sooner or later - coming home I was fine as - so now I figure there's no stopping me.

and last but not least - I got my learners for my R Class......... not in any hurry to go and and do my test and I know it takes a while to get in anyway - so I'm thinking I'll get a few hours up on my 250 (considering its brand new and I havent been on the road for a while) and prepare to sit my R Class test in the next 6-8 months.

::::::::::
    Last edited by vbroom; 17-10-2007, 12:47 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Good for you! Well done and don`t be afraid to ask questions...only morons wouldn`t help a new rider/returning rider. And since we don`t have any morons on here all questions will be answered.

And get your bum out there for the learner/newbie rides for crying out loud... ...
      SP RACINGis supported by:
      MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
      Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
      Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan View Post
        Good for you! Well done and don`t be afraid to ask questions...only morons wouldn`t help a new rider/returning rider. And since we don`t have any morons on here all questions will be answered.

And get your bum out there for the learner/newbie rides for crying out loud... ...
        So you gunna answer my Q????????

Comment

the whistling tank is just the petrol tank venting...don't smoke..

If your bike is black...get used to hearing its merry whistle...

Sounds like you are loving it..

Comment

old hand advice

Originally posted by NikyNoo View Post
            Ok so most of this will come naturally to you guys BUT as owning a bike is new to me I'm gunna post this even knowing I may cop some crap.

Firstly - didn't read the owners manualy - who ever does? so.....was really surprised when I go to take off the other day and my new bike just stopped.....reason and lesson number 1. Bike will not go if the stand is down - COOL !

Secondly - strange question BUT I'm gunna ask anyway - why does my petrol tank whistle at me ......? Is this normal? Wot causes it? Scared the shit out of me - thought it was gunna blow ! ha ha ha

Thirdly - just a proud moment - for me anyway - I took my baby down the freeway today for the first time- again scared the shit out of me cos it was like a major wind tunnel BUT I had to do it sooner or later - coming home I was fine as - so now I figure there's no stopping me.

and last but not least - I got my learners for my R Class......... not in any hurry to go and and do my test and I know it takes a while to get in anyway - so I'm thinking I'll get a few hours up on my 250 (considering its brand new and I havent been on the road for a while) and prepare to sit my R Class test in the next 6-8 months.
            cant really answer your number 1 question but there is a switch on your sidestand that releases when the stand is down if it anoys you like it does to me just pull out the wires connecting to it and join them together

2 whistling tank my first response was to say i have seen you picture and i would probably whistle at you to but that sounds lame so it was probably something to do with the way the wind was blowing

third, well freeway speed cars, it all takes getting used to, just pretend you are invisible and watchout for everyone

4th get you open class there is a lot of bikes out there to try and you can spend the rest of your lif trying them out
            cheers
            smokey matt
            I'm Living the dream. Really I am.

Comment

Kawasaki = weird noises. That sound is the vapour and air escaping. Nearly every Kawasaki does it. Mine can be heard from inside on a quiet night sometimes.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

stephan is away for 3 weeks, so , on his behalf, may i ride said beast and get her whistling?
                sounds interesting !
                dont worry, i will ring him if i cant work it out

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Nursey Steph, Nicky does the girls rides :p Will try and get her to come out on the 18th of November.

Nick, just open the lid of the tank and ease the pressure buildup, this will stop the whistling for awhile, mine (Bunky) sings in the garage sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by CitizenD View Post
                    Kawasaki = weird noises. That sound is the vapour and air escaping. Nearly every Kawasaki doies it. Mine can be heard from inside on a quiet night sometimes.
                    Pretty much. Both my Kawasakis do it, my mate's old 7R did it and his brother's ZZR1100 did it - the singing petrol tank is a bit of a Kawasaki trademark. Its nothing to worry about, its not like the petrol tank is going to explode or anything.

Comment

Why does my gas tank sometimes whine when I stop?

This is due to vapor expansion, and it is normal, especially on warm days. The pressure inside the tank is always changing and restablizing as fuel is pulled out by the carbs, and air gets in to fill the space left. Add the slow process of gasoline vaporization to the mix, and you get a slight whine coming from the vents.

Why does my gas tank sometimes whine when I stop? - Ninja250Wiki

edit: geeez....6 replies in the time it took me to post this
                      Free android puzzle game
                      https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TempleOfMedina

Comment

petrol tanks have breathers, as liquid petrol is consumed the level in the tank drops and air must be allowed to enter or a vacuum will be created which would prevent fuel from being delivered.

i dont know why your petrol tank whistles at you, i have never noticed this on any bike i have owned. there is normally an overflow line which will be vented at a low point on the bike which i guess doubles as the breather line. If its fallen off / pinched or leaking this could cause whistling i guess.

edit: s4r has probably nailed it, black bike in summer.
                        Originally posted by Bendito
                        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                          If its fallen off / pinched or leaking this could cause whistling i guess.

edit: s4r has probably nailed it, black bike in summer.
                          wouldn't wanna have anything falling off it or leaking its brand bloody new !

Comment

thanks for the help guys - at least now you know if somethng whistles at you as I ride up - it aint me (in any way shape or form- no comments necessary!) it's my bike !

Have been opening up the tank as I pull up at my destination to release any gases (again no comments necessary!!!) BUT really just wanted to find out if it's normal for me to have to do this.

PS. If ya see me on the freeway - no laughing at me as I look like I'm sleeping on my tank - I'm trying to hide behind my tiny screen! Makes me feel better anyway !

Comment

Wait till you start hearing rattling - that'll really mess with your head.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Working...
                              X