This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squid Gear

So, I was wondering with summer coming up who is going to be whipping out the squid gear? I am. I bring this up because so many people here are adamantly against wearing only a t-shirt in summer while riding (although I wouldn't be wearing only a t-shirt, i'd probably also have pants on, maybe even underwear :p). Anyway because of this I thought I'd give the people against squid clothing to disuade me from this so that I can make an informed decision

Before that i'll say that the main reason I avoid wearing a jacket when the temp gets up past around 30 is because if I stop in the sun (say at a pair of traffic lights) the feel of the sweaty clothes along with the heat bothers and distracts me seriously affecting my concentration and hence my spidey sense. Also I don't feel all that likely to have an off.

So thoughts?
    DISCLAIMER: I is an idiot

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
    - to maths what sex is to masturbation"
    -Richard Feynman

meh, your skin at the end of the day. yes the heat sucks ass when stopped at lights, but having no skin laying on the side of the road would be just a tad more uncomfortable. Invest in a "cool vest" (the things the footy players use) and/or possibly a summer jacket too.
    Last edited by kwakas; 17-10-2007, 09:43 AM. Reason: fiksed my unglish
    Originally posted by kyliejane
    benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
    Originally posted by harns
    Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

How good are the summer jackets for keeping cool? I would get one if wearing it wouldn't seriously affect my ability to concentrate.

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
      -Richard Feynman

Comment

Dude come summer I wear a Dri-Rider 'Climate Control' jacket without any of the liners, it is basically mesh holding the padding/armour in place, I also wear my Draggin cam pants, Alpinestar boots and some AlpineStar summer short gloves.

It's like just wearing jeans and a tshirt coz the mesh just lets the air flow through, in fact sometimes it feels a bit too cold.

But it is after all your skin, I like mine on me, not in a jar next to me.
        Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

I'll be wearing leather jacket & gloves - I prefer sweaty skin to gravel rash skin.

Comment

summer jacket for me too, for the reasons the guys above have said.
            it is basically a mesh jacket with the quilted lining for winter. i have already taken the lining out thanks to the fantastic weather we had lately, and like gryphen said, it was even a bit too cold yesterday.

the reasons for wearing the extra protection far outweigh those against in my opinion.

Comment

boardies a beater and double pluggers. aww yeah.

Comment

also summer gear is quite inexpensive so that's not really an excuse not to wear either. But like I and the others have said, it's your choice and your skin...do with it what you will.
                benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Not to mention if you fall and do graze your skin, its not a pretty thing to live with either

Comment

Okay, thanks guys. I'll see what I can do about getting a summer jacket.

Also I take it then that either i'm the only one that thinks a lower chance of crashing with a higher rate of injry in the advent of a crash may be safer than a greater chance of crashing with a lower rate of injry in the avdent of said crash? Or am I the only one who has trouble concentrating when overly hot and sweaty (well sometimes when i'm hot and sweaty I don't have any trouble concentrating )

-Richard Feynman

Comment

Ahhh i love the singlet tan and jeans in summer, and I'll do it until i learn the hard way.. because well

IT MY FUCKING CHOICE

end thread now? had a billion of these of

Comment

yeah, it is hard to concentrate when dehydrated. That's why I recommended a cool vest or something similar to keep your body temp down and keep you protected at the same time. another this you could use is maybe a camel pack (you know those water sacks that you wear as a backpack that has a hose that goes into your helmet so you have drink water as you ride).

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Why not just set up a little rabbit drip bottle onto the hottest part of the engine so when riding along you can have evaporative air conditioning?
                          This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by kwakas View Post
                            yeah, it is hard to concentrate when dehydrated. That's why I recommended a cool vest or something similar to keep your body temp down and keep you protected at the same time. another this you could use is maybe a camel pack (you know those water sacks that you wear as a backpack that has a hose that goes into your helmet so you have drink water as you ride).
                            That's not a bad idea. I might do that seeing as i've been contemplating a new backpack, so I could get one of the ones with them built in. Or maybe I should just drink more water and I won't have as much trouble concentrating.

-Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                              Why not just set up a little rabbit drip bottle onto the hottest part of the engine so when riding along you can have evaporative air conditioning?
                              :p Or I could put a damp cloth on my headlight and have the same effect while moving.

-Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...
                              X