Riding with earphones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding with earphones?

Hey, after a couple months of riding I've started using my mp3 player whilst riding during longer journeys. I'm interested to hear some thoughts on this from other riders. for me its the decision between a boring ride, and not being able to hear anything going on behind me .. screeching tyres, sirens, whatever. so usually when i wear them, I'm even more careful about shoulder checks to make up for less hearing.

What dya reckon?

Search is your friend.

This was done in great detail not that long ago...and went as far as as a group buy on a Blue Tooth set up. Blue Ant methinks.

here you go
    http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...dphones-32919/
    Originally posted by Viper
    I'm probably fucking something up.
    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
    Administrator

Comment

I've always got my headphones in, even if it's not turned up, it's never been a detriment to me. Well once, but that story another time methinks.

If you're relying on your sense of hearing on a motorcycle you're in for a hard time - so I don't see the act of listening as being a problem. If you're concentrating on the music though or experiencing an emotive reaction (I.E. Thrash metal at 200kph), that'll probably adversely affect your abilities. Not being able to hear usually makes you use your other senses more. Visual checks etc - and as most here would agree, you develop a sixth sense for when something is encroaching into your space.

I use music in my daily life to focus and have done since I was 11 instead of the ritalin that quacks recommended. It's served me well so far and has become a major source of pleasure for me in my life. It's only natural I'd combine it with riding I guess.

If I could ride, listen and have a pull, I'd have found my shangri-la.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

That would be funny to see CitD, agreed though. Thrash/hardcore/death , etc are not all that good when riding. Especially if you are in a shit mood, can make things interesting though :p

Comment

Originally posted by CitizenD View Post
          I've always got my headphones in, even if it's not turned up, it's never been a detriment to me. Well once, but that story another time methinks.
          By headphones i meant earbuds, sorry. but these are full on internal ones, so they stay in place nicely and cancel a lot of noise/wind. (and only $20 from JB Hifi )

Originally posted by CitizenD View Post
          If you're relying on your sense of hearing on a motorcycle you're in for a hard time - so I don't see the act of listening as being a problem. If you're concentrating on the music though or experiencing an emotive reaction (I.E. Thrash metal at 200kph), that'll probably adversely affect your abilities. Not being able to hear usually makes you use your other senses more. Visual checks etc - and as most here would agree, you develop a sixth sense for when something is encroaching into your space.
          yeh, i figure that once your on the freeway, you cant hear much other than wind anyway, so it may as well be music instead of wind.
          and I'll have to watch out for those emotive reactions. I caught myself head-bobbing last week. too much of that could become head-banging
          and yeah, thrash etc. does scream Go Faster!!
          Last edited by Gummy; 17-10-2007, 12:47 PM.

Comment

CitD, another point you and I differ on, I like to have a good clear listen to how my bike is running, don't need music etc obstructing my impressions etc of the bike overall. Little squeaks, rattles, squeals etc can all be important.
            Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

Yeah, I use creative ear-bud ones too. My DJing headset just looks foolish over my helmet.

Gryphen - You're a Kawasaki owner too - you definately shouldn't be relying on sound to know if it's running okay .

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

How loud must you guys turn up your music to be able to hear it?!

Wind roar on bikes at freeway speeds is noisier than standing 20m away from a screaming jet engine (which is why I always wear earplugs on country runs). How in the hell are you guys able to hear a tinny mp3 player at any speed above the metropolitan limit?!
                "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

I ride with noise makers sometimes. Although I usually don't bother, too much effort and I like the sounds of riding anyway.
                  DISCLAIMER: I is an idiot

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
                  - to maths what sex is to masturbation"
                  -Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Spock View Post

Wind roar on bikes at freeway speeds is noisier than standing 20m away from a screaming jet engine (which is why I always wear earplugs on country runs). How in the hell are you guys able to hear a tinny mp3 player at any speed above the metropolitan limit?!
                    Mate, you need a better fitting helmet. At freeway speeds and a little more my Shoei isn't loud at all.
                    Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by Spock View Post

I usually can't hear mine on the freeway. With the wind and the bike I'd need to have it up too high. But at other times I can hear it fine.

I always have either music or earplugs. With my bike it's kinda a necessity. And I also have no problem hearing the noises and rattles of my bike - it's a Yami; they're meant to do that!

*EDIT*
                      Yeah Morgs I think that's my problem - I'm still stuck in my noisy spare lid. Should improve when I get the new lid and have no issues hearing it at all. Hopefully!
                      "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

Spock: my Etymotic canalphones go right into my ears and isolate some silly amount of dB of external noise. So the actual SPL required for tunes to be listenable is very small.

Gryphen: I find that I hear MORE bike noises with these in. They tend to damp the exhaust and wind noise, but transients like rattles are very listenable. And sirens, horns etc too.

All in all they're a great combination, protecting ears, relieving boredom and even helping me tune into the noises of my baby on the road.

There is a down side. These things use three nested silicone cups which tend to scrape earwax out - so they need cleaning. And you kinda have to lick 'em to lube up before jamming in your ears - not so tasty sometimes. And they do get sore after a couple of hours.
                        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I ride with my mp3 almost everywhere I don't think it makes a difference if your paying attention to the road you don't hear the music playing anyway..

Comment

Yeah Etymotic ER-6i's FTW!

Sif ruin hearing!
                            Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

^^ yup. I rode around Oz with the cooner lid I'm using again now (waiting for the new model Symax to come out). That trip I was using silicone swimmer's plugs and just jamming crappy earbuds into them. Um - FTL

In Europe I was using a pair of modified Koss "The Plug". The mod? Remove their shitty foam. Buy some industrial expanding foam plugs. Drill a hole in em with a real hot nail. Slide them onto the plug. Insert in ear. MUCH better - but the big broad head of the Koss phones piped a lot of noise from the helmet into your ear.

The ER-6s are heaps better for isolation and the sound quality is insanely good. FTW!!!
                              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Working...
                              X