Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FJR clutch issues?

Righto...first things first.

You want to have a whorefest about the FJR...take it to another topic (the rant thread), I'll gladly entertain you there.

Went for a ride (River run) with S4R, Ozy, Ninja and others on Sunday after the GP. The bike was keeping up nicely, a couple of quick launches, and generally, giving the 1300cc's a chance to rev out a bit. About 5km into the ride, pulled up at a set of lights, waiting for the green. Red turns to green, revs rise, and ...and.....where's da power?

The bike dawdled off the line, revving out, but little drive. Changed to 2nd gear, same thing. So I settled into 3rd, and cruised up to the next set of lights where the boys were waiting. I shakes me head...can't work it out. Lights turn green...STALL. Bugger, fuck, shit. Reignite the engine and again, nurse the engine/clutch for the next 15 minutes.

Not sure if it was my imagination, but the clutch lever was not as "sharp" in it's response after that. (Longer travel)

Spoke to Arwon yesterday, and I suggested that maybe I need to get an oil change (5000kms on the motor at this stage). Service book suggests next service at 10000kms. Bike was last serviced (1000kms) in March (27th) this year.

So...your thoughts? Did I give the plates to much grief? Is my oil fuba'd? What oil do you suggest? (Arwon suggested Motul, but then again, this is the guy that reckoned I should drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket...HELLO..it's a shaft drive!!)
    Originally posted by Viper
    I'm probably fucking something up.
    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
    Administrator

Sounds like the clutch is slipping to me?? Probably oil, it's a very good place to start, but could possibly be your clutch plates or whatev? Seems highly unlikely as it's a new bike, but it's possible I suppose.

Take it back to the stealership, ask em what they think?

Comment

Yeah, definitely sounds like clutch slip for some reason.

I'm not big on bike clutches, but if changing the oil doesn't fix it, i'd be taking into the shop sooner rather than later - once a clutch starts slipping, the wear gets worse more and more quickly...
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

i am presuming it is a cable clutch, it may have snagged something and is not reliasing properly or the cable could be snapping (as they are multi thread they can gradually stretch as the break). It could just be the asjustment on the lever, new clutch springs a cheap and even heavy duty ones could be better i can give you contact to get some from the UK for less the $30 aus. Probably need more info on your set up. If your around ellenbrook buzz me and we could meet, bike shops may just want to make money out of you.
        I'm Living the dream. Really I am.

Comment

how's the adjustment of the lever? I had issues recently and there wasn't enough play in the lever..

Comment

Hydraulic clutch on those, surely. Assuming that the engine sounded fine as it revved, although the stalling is a concern. Definitely take it back to the dealer mate - you bought it "new", didn't you?
            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Mate, I do an oil change about every 3000 k's, change yours now.
              If you where flogging the bike, the clutch might have just gotten a bit warm.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Steve View Post
                and again, nurse the engine/clutch for the next 15 minutes.
                Does this mean it came right again???? If so, were you flogging it hard beforehand?

If it's like the earlier FJ's the clutch slave was on the left with a rod through the center to the clutch on the right. Sometimes got a bit sticky, but wouldn't expect it on a new bike.

Definately time for an oil change and a check with the dealer.
                To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Originally posted by PSB Forum Software
                Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

Comment

Ok...more info. Yup, it's fully clutched, not the 'slick-shift semi auto'.
                  I thought that the plates/oil etc may have gotten (sp/grammar?) too hot, and that's why I suspected the consistency/value/performance of the oil that is in there.

Common denominator from the all the great responses (thanks gang) is oil then stealership.

FWIW...I have searched the US based forum, and have not found anything similar. Interesting to note, that they are complaining about a 'clunk' from the 'box. Nothing about huge revs and no goa. Simon, the first FJR gearbox rebuild ('06) has shown up. Seems a guy has bent the selector through some rather hard riding and smashing the change from 1st to 2nd. Sound familiar?

Administrator

Comment

I've had two clutch problems in my life, both with similar results as what you are experiancing. The first was caused by running a car fully synthetic oil, with friction modifiers, which caused slip. The fix was to change the oil and ride the bike. It didn't take long to bed back in.

The other manifisted its self 6,000kms from new, when the clutch totally packed up in 40ks of riding. Took it back to the dealer -oops two bolts were missing out of the basket when it was assembled.:o

Comment

Cheers Dave.....and welcome to PSB mate.

Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Steve View Post
                        Simon, the first FJR gearbox rebuild ('06) has shown up. Seems a guy has bent the selector through some rather hard riding and smashing the change from 1st to 2nd. Sound familiar?
                        um, no?
                        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Yes

Comment

since you plan on riding it hard and you don't fit the stealthy framed models they show on the net as the standard rider of the FJR landbarge, i feel that you may get a better result if you order some stiffer clutch springs from Yamaha. I know they are only $56 for my R1 because i have ordered some because i fit the same petite frame as yourself although i haven't had any clutch slip yet.
                            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Just spoke to the guys at the Dealership...
                              Bike is going in for an oil dump and full check out. Interesting comment from the Service Department... "Well, it wouldn't be anything you have done, because they are bullet-proof".

Also, may be getting the ECU replaced under a general '06-'07 (Series II) recall.

And again...awesome customer service and assistance from 5 Star Yamaha (Hamilton Hill)

Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X