More Shit From Dorro About Wire Rope Barriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Shit From Dorro About Wire Rope Barriers

Remember that petition and protest ride the MRA organised about the wire rope barriers? Didn't do any good if this is anything to go by:

Remove Wire Barriers SAFE ROADS AND ROADSIDES

29 1.0% Wire rope barriers improve safety for most road users, however it is unclear whether they pose a specific risk to motorcyclists.
    A recent report on motorcyclist injury risk by the Monash University Accident Research Centre, which reviewed worldwide use and Victorian accidents, said wire rope barriers were likely to be safer than more rigid barriers.

The Road Safety Council will continue to monitor research in this area. Motorcycles offer no occupant protection and as such motorcyclists are always at considerably more risk of death or serious injury than car occupants.

Given the significant safety benefit to most road users, the removal of wire rope barriers is not being considered because it would be detrimental to do so. However, the Road Safety Council will encourage the use of world’s best practice wire rope barriers to minimise the risk to motorcyclists.
    That text is from a document it looks like the RSC put together in response to the so-called "community workshops" and "public consultation" or whatever it was. They reckon they have identified all the issues that came out in that process and they have put their response to them in that document. The full version is here:

http://www.officeofroadsafety.wa.gov...inalThemes.pdf

The rest of it is quite predictable. What good ideas some people have obviously put forward, have been hosed down with the usual "we're not doing anything wrong, please go away" and "its all about the SPEEEEDING" type rhetoric.

Is anyone getting sick of me posting this sort of stuff yet

I love the repeated use of "The majority of international research" can someone please link me to this giant wealth of infromation.
    DISCLAIMER: I is an idiot

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
    - to maths what sex is to masturbation"
    -Richard Feynman

Comment

AHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHH
      5 seconds ago you said that we have the best road in the world and then follow it with:
      "It is true that there are higher speed limits in some other countries, but these are on purposebuilt
      motorways. Without a compensating lift in the standard of roads, speed limits cannot be
      safely increased in WA."

*stabs survey in face*

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
      -Richard Feynman

Comment

prevention is the best medicine, better driver training and smack dick-heads who drive like sh*te harder...
        "Redlines are merely suggestions"
        "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Oh and while I'm at it, I'll throw this in here. MUARC stands for Monash University Accident Research Centre. MUARC was engaged by the gubmint and the Road Safety Council to do this road safety review crap. They also, apparently, did an assessment of their 2003-2007 program. Here is the summary of their assessment report on the RSC's 2003-2007 strategy:

11 SUMMARY

The 2006 review of key performance indicators shows that, over the first four years of the Arriving Safely Strategy, there has been:

· An upward trend in the number of fatalities, driven largely by the substantial increase in 2006;
          · An upward trend in the number of persons hospitalised despite a reduction in 2006;
          · A substantial increase in the number of fatal crashes on local roads and highways primarily attributable to a large increase in run-off-road crashes on these roads;
          · An upward trend in the number of motorcyclists, car drivers and bicyclists killed and in the number of motorcyclists and heavy vehicle occupants hospitalised;
          · An upward trend in speeding related fatal crashes, driven largely by a substantial increase in 2006;
          · A consistent upward trend in the number of deaths related to drink-driving, particularly in 2006;
          · An upward trend in the number of unrestrained drivers and passengers killed and hospitalised as a result of crashes, particularly in rural areas.

It is evident that the following areas need to be addressed in Western Australia’s next Road Safety Strategy either because they have not improved over the life of the current Strategy or because they continue to comprise a substantial proportion of serious injuries:

· The high number of fatal crashes on highways and local roads;
          · The increasing trend in run-off-road fatal crashes, particularly on highways and local roads;
          · Road user behaviour including speeding, non-use of restraints and drink-driving, particularly in rural areas where high speed serious injury outcomes are more common;
          · Motorcycle safety, particularly given the very high increase in fatalities over the Strategy years;
          · Increasing trends in pedestrian and cyclists deaths.
          That report appears to be a draft so I have copied the relevant section here in the event any reference to addressing motorcycle safety mysteriously disappears from that page

http://www.officeofroadsafety.wa.gov...eviewDRAFT.pdf

Comment

So, in summary, their strategy has failed in every conceivable measurement. How are these monkeys still in a job?

A. deflecting blame
            B. Aiding in raising revenue
            C. Footy related nepotism
            D. all of the above
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

You forgot E) all of the above AND no one cares and is too lazy to read stuff.

Ah Australian culture hate it for the same reasons I love it.

-Richard Feynman

Comment

Rooster is angry.

Comment

Where is Mel, surely he has something to say about all this?

-Richard Feynman

Comment

Lets put El Dorro on a pushie and ride him into one of those wire rope barriers.

His reaction: Ban pushies.

Comment

Given the significant safety benefit to most road users, the removal of wire rope barriers is not being considered because it would be detrimental to do so.
                      Detrimental to who you self important arrogant sack of shit?
                      Fuck you.

Comment

There is a budget of $40,000 this year to investigate why most of Europe are taking them down! so, something is being done all be it small

Lobby your local MP for a start, the more who moan the more it gets noticed....

then we have http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/muarc210.pdf

and Marking the front line in the war on crashes - www.theage.com.au

then again Remove Wire Barriers SAFE ROADS AND ROADSIDES - Google Scholar

the list(s) are endless, the statistics drive you crazy, main roads, roadwise, you name it they are on it, dont even review there own studies...

I hate to say it again... MRA they are your only voice that gets heard, how many went on the protest ride? I didnt for one as I worked,

The MAD ride made the news and most papers big time because WE ALL SUPPORTED IT, other states are pushing legislation through the back door without public consultation, the only ears that hear are those on committees...
                        The MRA are on those committees and do what little they can with the numbers and support they have got, I have only been a member a short while myself, but already a committee member, because I want to protect my rights to ride, and those of my fellow riders

Letting the rider decide.... could totally fade away
                        Real Men Ride Nakid
                        http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

Monash University Accident Research Centre

Arent these the same idiots that were in yesterdays paper wanting to reduce the city speed limits to 30Km/h and country roads to 100km/h, and save something like 2200? lives?
                          :stupid:

Comment

Lowering the speed limits only serves to provide a bigger target for the 'novas IMHO.

D'Art

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                              Lowering the speed limits only serves to provide a bigger target for the 'novas IMHO.

D'Art
                              Hoorah revenue... I mean saved lives. That said if they actually cited the international research they keep harping on about I would be more inclined to trust them.

-Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...
                              X