Wanted: Info on eco-friendliness and 2 wheel transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Info on eco-friendliness and 2 wheel transport

I'm trying to make a point in a paper i'm writing for uni on motorbikes and the fact they put out less G.H. Gas emissions. I'd love some links to webpages and documents on this topic. Also green energy bikes, like electric, H fuel cells, hybrid engines, etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm not 100% sure this is the case.

While for single passengers it probably is, if you're riding 2 up or dealing with 3 people, an econobox car will get better milage per person moved...

I know there's small cars getting something like 6L/100km, which is on par with what i get on the bike....
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Possibly start with fuel consumption and the statistics about how many cars are just used for driving one person to work each day. In truth, four bikes probably use more fuel combined than one car with four people in it, but how often do you see a car with four people in it. Not to mention when you consider the effects of those motorcycles in reducing traffic congestion, you complicate the issue, and the extra cruising fuel consumption of the 4 bikes probably cancels out fairly well.

Maybe you could organise a group of 5 or so bikes and do your own fuel consumption testing?
      Or even just get some forum peeps to fill out a survey for you.

Something like:

1) How many km's did you travel this week.
      2) approximately what percentage of these were with a pillion
      3) approximately what percentage of these were commuting in built up areas
      4) how much fuel did you consume.
      5) was this week a typical week for you in terms of the answers to the previous questions.

and then do something similar for people in cars.

your own data FTW.
      No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Another factor you probably shouldn't include to make your point, is that I generally do about 800-1000km every break lately on the bike

Just in "pointless" riding around kays that I really could do without.

That wouldn't happen if i was driving a shitbox
        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Piaggio MP3 HyS

250cc conventional engine combined with electric engine. Will likely be the first production model hybrid for the mass market.

Piaggio HyS (Hybrid Scooter)

More News on Piaggio HyS

Comment

I think Thro has made the point we're all loathe to admit to hippies. We're probably worse eco-offenders than the family in the Landcruiser.

Condoleezza uses fuel like a family sedan and doesn't have any of the standard pollution control crap on it anymore. I know she's not the only case like that on here alone.

We also go through tyres far quicker than cars.

Face it, we're eco-terrorists.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

You could also mention that bikes have much less embodied energy, i.e. the amount of energy required to make it.
              And not sure whether it would help your argument but it might also be wrth looking at the amount of rubber consumed, tyres are very GHG intensive products. Cars have more but bikes go through them a lot quicker. Even if it doesn't show bikes are better it is good to put both positives and negatives into a paper, it shows that you've done your research in an unbiased manner.

Edit: I was a little late on the tyre comment.

Comment

I take my girlfriend around on the bike ALL the time. So ride two-up environment saving
                DISCLAIMER: I is an idiot

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
                - to maths what sex is to masturbation"
                -Richard Feynman

Comment

If you were dedicated to environmental issues, you'd convince your girlfriend to forget the bike and just ride her all the time.

"I know baby, but after all - it's for the environment. You don't want to wreck the environment, do you?"

I look at the costs of rubber and fuel etc with a bike compared to cars when I had them and would guess that even driving solo in the car it was more efficient than the bike...
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

If you compare performance though, you'll see a marked difference. Sportsbikes are like sportscars. They BOTH go through heaps of fuel and tyres. There's just more bikes because they are cheaper.

The sportscar for the poor man.
                    This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Rooster,

Motorcycles are far dirtier emmissions wise than cars and even with the Euro3 standard (2006 on) believe this is still the case.

http://www.acembike.org/html/ACEMInfos/AcemInfo5.pdf

Decent graphic in there for ya.

cheers
                      Surly

Comment

Interesting.
                        I should reword my original post to say im trying to work out if they are cleaner etc, seems that the evidence is not going to support that...

Comment

Fingered again eh?

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Small, fast turning engines with high compression and high combustion temperatures produce heaps more NOx than a family sedan. You're also forgetting that cat-converters and EFI weren't a common feature on bikes until recently.

If you're going to make the point on GHG, use a 250cc twin (or single) or something like the Suzuki DL650 VStrom (20km/L+). Commuter bikes would be the best way to argue this point. Try and find the energy or oil (and convert barrels of oil to MJ) embodied in a small car tyre, and average two of those for a bike (similar amount of rubber).

As soon as you compare a sports bike to econobox, the car wins out as the new ones can get 6L/100km and don't chew through oil or tyres.

Comment

Thanks boys, some very interesting replies there.

SO my campaign to save the world with everyone riding motorbikes is somewhat misleading, who cares, it would still be a better place....

Heh.

Comment

Working...
                              X