guillotine cables along bridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guillotine cables along bridges

What do we riders think about those guillotine cables along bridges like for instance when turning off on the kenwick link towards albany highway...those cables would slice us up like cucumbers and should be banned!
    I am a rebel....
    [http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][/url]

think these have been covered before and even a petition signed ?

Comment

ultimately mate, it's a co$t thing and that is it. They are cheaper and they do "less" damage to the average motorist, the average moptorist is not a motorcyclist/scooter etc they are a car.

Incidentally, i believe the stats showed a negligable increase in truck roll over probability, but that was not considered to be an issue, it was something lin the vicinity of an 8% increase, and still remained within the acceptable limits (ie rigid barrier was 80% of accptable limit and cable is something like 87%, hence 8% increase, but this is for trucks. I have know knowledge of the figure(s) for cyclists)

The other argument for (positive) them was they allow an increased view path (through) them, this i disagree with, iM not a sufferer of epilepsy, but they do my head in on the way up from Mandurah....
      "Redlines are merely suggestions"
      "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

do a search on "wire rope barriers" and "cheese graters"

It has been discussed in depth. And recently too.
        No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Don't hit them...

...bad.

Does it get any simpler?

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirkz View Post
            think these have been covered before and even a petition signed ?
            And a protest.. and they’re still there

And when you consider maintenance its more expensive than others and if its not set up properly the car will underride. In 2006 24th July in Yatala Queensland a truck went through WRB on a freeway killing one and
            injuring 8.
            "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

i had seen on mythbusters once some liquid that you can paint onto wire and within a couple of days it eats threw it.
              if only i had a couple of litres of this stuff i would paint the stuff on every cable i see.
              then we will see how cheap it is to replace every 2nd week

Comment

Originally posted by Aisiah View Post
                guillotine cables along bridges

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_Homer View Post
                  i had seen on mythbusters once some liquid that you can paint onto wire and within a couple of days it eats threw it.
                  If it's an aluminium alloy, a little bit of mercury will do the job.

Comment

now where to get mercury....
                    As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

'Soul' - Italian word for unreliability.

For a way to start racing cheap, go here > http://supermotowa.com

Comment

crack open an old school thermometer. they use mercury
                      Originally posted by kyliejane
                      benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
                      Originally posted by harns
                      Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by kwakas View Post
                          crack open an old school thermometer. they use mercury
                          thats a shed-load of thermometers!
                          "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                          "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Would putting a simple plastic coating on the wire part (sort of like a piece of garden hose over it) make it less likely to cut??

Comment

Whilst i don't like roadside hazards any more than anyone else....

What next? Ban power poles, road signs, traffic lights, trees, picket fences, pedestrians, etc?

I reckon using plastic (or hell, even chicken wire) mesh that's spring loaded at the ends to enable a little bit of a stretch would be better...
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X