Overcharged for Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overcharged for Service?

Hey, just got the call to say my baby is ready after the 42,000K service at the Yamaha Gge in joondalup. only problem is the cost is over $900 when i was expecting 4-500 and have only been quoted along those lines up to now. when i dropped it off, the bloke said he'd give me a call if he found anything more that could be done so i knew about the cost. which he never did. the extra cost was because of the valve clearances it turns out. but still, im worried im being taken for a ride, still being a newb on 2 wheels. am I being ripped off? if so is there anything i can do about it. either way I'm leaving right now to pick it up, cos i need it for this evening. so im gonna have to pay em.

advice?

I'm no expert in the field, but it seems a bit rich, my babyblade had a major service at 64K and the mechanic quoted around $300-$350....inc valve clearence if needed (it didnt)...i have noticed when chopping around for gear that they have higher prices and limited knowledge....they didnt know what make my bike was then told me HJC dont make breath guards anymore and then proceeded to charge me $30 for an oxford breath guard that didn't suit my helmet. I went to total MC in vic park and got the HJC one for $15.

Comment

find out how many shims where required and you want the old shims because that sounds like total bullshit, and the fact they failed to tell you before hand. If they have to search for them its bullshit. the shims would be used in another bike so if they want to charge you that much get all the old shims.
      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

MMMM note to self to go back on the tools Its expensive but depending on the bike it does take time to pull the cams out and do this. They should have rung first if they need to do this after they checked the clearances and found them to be out.

MM

Comment

Sounds like a stitch.

Comment

Most reputable places would at least give you a call if they were doing something outside of the normal servicing. I wouldn't be too happy with that.
            No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

I think we need to know more before commenting too much, like what sort of bike is it? is it a major or minor service? how long since the last service? Any other work included in the initial quote? What was the hourly rate you were quoted?

If this was a Ducati I would say you got off lightly, but if it was a GPX250 it does sound a little rich.
              Adventure before Dementia

Comment

He owns a 4 cylinder Kwack? 250 and servicing at Yamaha Joondalup... sounds about right (no further negative comment from me)

Comment

Itsa an FZX250 zeal ...

Gummy, I remember Andy paid somewhere around that to get all that sorta work done on his, and that was 3? 4? years ago now. The valves arn't very accessable on the zeals, can bump up the labour

Comment

Sounds about right.
                    It's the major MAJOR service, all fluids, lube, and they do your valve clearances too $5 a shim, so if the all need doing, thats $100. I was quoted the same from another yamaha dealer, and was going to do it until I got a job @ the Honda shop.
                    Also, don't forget to factor in at least 5 hours @ $100 per hour.
                    It is expensive, but not a rip off.

Comment

Hey, back now turns out a lot of that cost was labour because the valves are a time consuming job on the Zeal. also replaced the front tyre, chain n sprocket. it was 41,000Km Major service. so it's pricey, but not overpricey given the circumstances i think.

I reckon i might see if i can get the old parts/tyre back for spares etc, i forgot to do that when i went in.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                        Sounds about right.
                        It's the major MAJOR service, all fluids, lube, and they do your valve clearances too $5 a shim, so if the all need doing, thats $100. I was quoted the same from another yamaha dealer, and was going to do it until I got a job @ the Honda shop.
                        Also, don't forget to factor in at least 5 hours @ $100 per hour.
                        It is expensive, but not a rip off.
                        no way would all the shims ever need doing, youd just swap em over
                        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Seems a bit rich to me for a 250cc Zeal.

Valves on a 2fiddy shouldn't take ages.
                          The clearances on my VFR is a 'time consuming' job.

Comment

ask for all parts replaced.
                            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

1. I concur with all -ive comments about that stealership.
                              2. Did you get a quote from that workshop, or only quotes from others, and expected the price to be the same?
                              3. Given the work that has now been completed, I consider the price to be on the upper side of fair. (viz. new tyre, chain, sprocket, major service)
                              4. Definitely ask for old parts taken from bike.
                              5. Find another service provider.
                              Originally posted by Viper
                              I'm probably fucking something up.
                              FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                              Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X