Advice on throttle hand going numb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on throttle hand going numb.

I seem to have an issue on rides lasting over 1/2 hour with my hand going numb and getting pins and needles. Can someone please give me advice on how to resolve the problem?

must not make rude comment.....

would it be that your putting too much weight on your wrists? if that is the cause, then grip tank more with your knees and take your weight with stomach muscles rather than on your hands.

Comment

I knew they would come

Comment

It is only my throttle hand though, my clutch hand is just fine

Comment

i have the same problem, and as schmoo said, i've found that it happens when i'm pushing down really hard on my wrists, which eventually will make your elbows ache as well. as above, grip the tank harder with your knees and try to relax a litte bit, it makes it a lot more comfortable.

Comment

Try riding my Buell, you will never complain again!
            Real Men Ride Nakid
            http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

Release the "death grip" you have on the throttle?

Or perhaps you have a pinched nerve somewhere up your arm or shoulder?
              If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Circulation problems?

Been checked for diabetes recently?

(No, I'm not being an arsehole.)

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

i get the same, i just relax my throttle grip more, sit more upright, and sometimes even put more weight on my clutch hand.

Comment

Take a more 'Forward grip' at idle with the loud wrist so you are not forced keep your hand so bent on rides at cruising pace, it's certainly added too by pressure on the wrists but because the throttle hand is slightly bent its more noticeable.

Comment

grip more with your knees, loosen the grip with your hands, try to not hold a constant throttle position, doing mingers helps here, and once you go over 120 the wind tends to hold your body up and the weight off your wrists provided you don't have a pillion.
                      Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Use a throttle lock on the straights and let go with the right hand.

I reckon you're gripping the throttle just a tad tighter with the right than the left. As Klinky said, relax your grip just a tad.

Alternately, it could be that the position you're wrist is at on longer rides is pinching nerves or something. Try to find a morer natural angle when using part throttle, but make sure that when you for the brake that you don't have the throttle on still.

Another problem could be vibration through that bar. Try a larger, heavier end weight on both bars (for symmetry) to lower the vibration. Try a thicker grip or thicker gloves with more padding. See if any of that makes a difference. I notice a little more buzz through the throttle than the clutch side.
                        2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                        In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                        Amen, brother. Amen.
                        My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Damn, forgot the mingers... yes, that will take the wight off, for sure.

Not the wallet, though. and puts more pressure on the mind, looking for cops and the like.
                          2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                          In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                          Amen, brother. Amen.
                          My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Yeah, use a throttle lock, they are great, easy to use tamper proof objects.

Comment

Something the others have yet to mention, but what they have said can have a bearing on your condition, so don't ignore it.

What I was thinking of was the actual position (viz. rotation) of your bars. Have you set the bike up or had it set up for yourself? Many bikes these days come with a plethora (shitloads) of adjustments to make the ride that little bit more comfortable. I recall having to 'rotate' my throttle position on the bars to ensure correct hand/wrist/forearm alignment when I had my FJ....the FJR seems okay at the moment.

I am finding it hard to describe this set up....someone else will 'cotton on' to what I mean, and if you come out on a ride, then there will be heaps of assistance for you.
                              Originally posted by Viper
                              I'm probably fucking something up.
                              FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                              Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X