‘Bikes need lower speed limits than cars’ [RETARDS ITT]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Bikes need lower speed limits than cars’ [RETARDS ITT]

This is a Pommy article, from MCN. Doesnt affect us but, hey, its good to know what sort of wierd bullshit that some of these academics with no real world experience in motorcycles come out with.

�Bikes need lower speed limits than cars’ - Motorcycle News - MCN

‘Bikes need lower speed limits than cars’

By Steve Farrell
    Politics & the law
    17 October 2007 11:17

Speed limits for motorcycles need to be lower than those set for the rest of the traffic, two leading transport advisors have said.
    Stephen Plowden and Mayer Hillman, transport authors and advisors to the Slower Speeds Initiative, said the measure would improve safety for pedestrians.
    The calls came in the build up to an MCN backed mass ride in London this Saturday against road pricing for bikes and calls for motorcycles to be ‘downsized’ from Stephen Plowden, Mayer Hillman and eight road safety groups.
    Hillman and Plowden wrote to MPs in August demanding they insist Government look at limiting the power, weight and speed of motorcycles.
    A joint letter signed by signed by eight road safety groups claimed motorcycles were ‘about 1.5 times as likely as cars to be involved in collisions which cause injury to cyclists’ and ‘about 3.8 times as likely as cars to be involved in slightly or serious [sic] injuring pedestrians’.
    Mayer Hillman, a senior fellow emeritus at the Government-funded Policy Studies Institute, has now claimed that the high rate of collisions with pedestrians occurs because “on two wheels it’s much more difficult to keep control”. He said: “That’s the nature of a two-wheeled vehicle.
    "It’s much easier to keep control of a four-wheel vehicle. It’s that combined with the issue of speed, because on a bicycle you’ve got the same problem of only two wheels but at least you have the consolation that because you are riding at a much lower speed it’s easier to control.”

He said motorcycles consequently needed lower speed limits than cars, although enforcement difficulties made it impractical. “I would certainly veer on the side of lower speed limits,” he said.

Stephen Plowden said that while the “default urban speed limit” was set at 30mph, lower limits were needed for motorcycles. “I’m with Mayer on that,” he said. He claimed special measures were needed for motorcycles because their rate of acceleration was a hazard to pedestrians.

“It means that their speed on impact is likely to be greater but also it means they are more likely to have an accident, particularly as they sometimes can be quite hard to see,” he said.

Stephen Plowden said he would like to see the default urban speed limit for all vehicles lowered to 20mph. “If that happened, and if it were properly enforced, then I don’t think there would be a case for having a lower speed limit for motorcycles, but I still think there would be a need to do something about the fact they accelerate so much more quickly than other vehicles,” he said.

Craig-Carey Clinch, policy director for the Motorcycle Industry Associations, said the pedestrian and cyclist collision figures quoted by Plowden and Hillman were “inaccurate and full of conjecture” because they did not take into account fault.
    He said: “One has to look at the causes of accidents and you tend to find that, even though motorcycles are named by people like Plowden and Hillman et al as being a great threat to pedestrians, when you actually look at the causation factors in pedestrian and cycle accidents, you often find it’s the cyclists or pedestrian failing to look, give way or obey basic road traffic law.”

To join our ride this Saturday against Plowden and Hillman’s calls and road pricing for motorcycles, go to www.rider-connect.com/rideforrights2007

To find out what other extreme ideas Stephen Plowden and Mayer Hillman have for transport, including a world in which people live more “local lives,” completing most journeys on foot, bicycle or bus, get MCN, on sale Wednesday, October 17, 2007.
    It looks like MCN are well and truly on the case. What's the UK equivalent of the MRA?

So the reason that bikes are involved in more paedestrian crashes has nothing to do with the fact that paedestrians also drive cars, and therefore are fucking stupid and wouldn't look and see a bike?

Comment

Save the fucking pedestrians!

(and kill the motorcyclists in the prcocess)
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Ahhhh - I get where they're coming from...
        Can't get the bastards to open their eyes and see us - so lets make sure that when we crash we're going slower so it hurts less. Coz it hurts less when you crash slower.
        "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

BillyWhizz would be able to let you know on that one.

Idiots, is all I am going to say about those people

Comment

"It’s much easier to keep control of a four-wheel vehicle. It’s that combined with the issue of speed, because on a bicycle you’ve got the same problem of only two wheels but at least you have the consolation that because you are riding at a much lower speed it’s easier to control.”

Brilliant!! if bikes were limited to the same speed that pushbikes travel (because they are obviously comparable to the intelligent mind) then we solve the problem entirely!
            if only everyone who wanted to travel went at a walking pace. that seems to be the solution prescribed by most of these "Government-funded Policy Studies".

i bet most bike riders can control their "two wheelers" better than these morons can control their tax payer funded "four wheelers".

Comment

Originally posted by Martin1 View Post

i bet most bike riders can control their "two wheelers" better than these morons can control their tax payer funded "four wheelers".

Having seen some of the squid shit on the road, I dunno if i'd be so quick to make that bet

That said, lower speed limits = more traffic congestion, more pissed off people (because of higher traffic) and thus, higher fatalities.

The stats even probably support this
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
                It looks like MCN are well and truly on the case. What's the UK equivalent of the MRA?
                Hmm, these are about the closest I can think of, but I don't think there is any organisation in the UK that has that few members and claims to represent all motorcycle riders.

BMF - British Motorcyclist Federation - Issues - Events - Touring

The Auto-Cycle Union - Welcome
                Adventure before Dementia

Comment

I wonder what would happen if just for one day, motorcyclists congested up every major traffic artery by riding at 30 km/h below the speed limit and blocked traffic? Would they still think it's such a smart idea? That and how many accidents/fatalities would be caused by riders being rear ended by irate/inattentive drivers.
                  Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

hahah pisser

motorcycles can accelerate faster, so they should have a lower speed limit.
                    i think someone needs to go back to their year 10 physics and revisit speed and acceleration.

are they also proposing that because trucks accelerate slowly they should have a higher speed limit??
                    Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

If anything, bikes should get a speed limit around 20% higher that the rest of traffic so that when the situation permits, one can improve the traffic flow by getting past (and out of the cross-hairs of) other vehicles. I mean most of us already do but at least that way you wouldn't get booked for going 120 to get past that brick-carting truck on the Tonkin that's causing debris to fly into you....
                      Find me on Instagram

Comment

but guys, you dont understand....

If traffic is not moving at all, then there wont be any more accidents = win win win.

Sure we'd never get anywhere but at least we'd be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by duffman View Post
                          hahah pisser

are they also proposing that because trucks accelerate slowly they should have a higher speed limit??
                          That is the kind of thinking they would probably employ... Sad isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by taint View Post
                            BillyWhizz would be able to let you know on that one.
                            I see sarcasm escapes you.
                            Originally posted by shmoo View Post
                            If traffic is not moving at all, then there wont be any more accidents
                            "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

lol! It's Obvious these people don't ride bicycles either. At least not like i do.

Comment

Working...
                              X