What's the penalty for riding out of class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the penalty for riding out of class

There is this dude at work and he openly admitting to riding out of class.I thought that the rule these day's was if caught riding out of class that it would be good bye licence for 3 months.Mmmm is this true or not.He seems to think if he gets caught ridding out of class he can get of in court on a technicality :roll:

Out of class

100 bucks, 0 points.
    The Twitter

Comment

he won't be covered by insurance either.
      Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

Gday Skipp,

His best bet is to get his R class "L's". That way, if he were to head out with some people in a group... there will usually be at least one person there capable of making him ride legally.
        If you can... you MUST!

Comment

you won't be covered by insurance either.
          Whats up Skip...... *t t t t t *

As Flakey said, its not the fine and the points its the fact that if your work buddy fucks up someone elses bike in the group he is riding with, they will likley want to slam his face into a trash can because he is not insured.

If he were to run over a 4 year old and kill him, he is also not covered by 3rd Party Liability that forms part of his rego.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

...if your work buddy fucks up someone elses bike in the group he is riding with, they will likley want to slam his face into a trash can because he is not insured...
            Ah yes. The secondary penalty.

and yeah resist1 is right. Riding out of class is $100, cant remember if it has any point.

However, if the copper thinks whoever it is can't ride well enough he can also arrest them and send them to court on the same charge.

It's a judgement thing.

Comment

If he were to run over a 4 year old and kill him, he is also not covered by 3rd Party Liability that forms part of his rego.
              I questioned this a little while ago and was told that if he holds a motor vehicle licence than he IS covered by the 3rd party that you pay when you renew your licence even if he is out of class (because the insurance is payed on the licence itself not the classes it contains).....was this info incorrect?

Russ
              Fat kids always win at see-saw

Comment

i dont think that is correct, as i believe the reason that third party was introduced onto vehicle licenses as well, was to cover any driver of your vehicle (unlicenced or otherwise) etc (maybe to prevent you getting sued if someone steals your car and does damage- theoretically possible these days....)
                No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Edited cause Melkor has spoken... 8)
                  Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

OK

DPI says of Third Party Insurance this;

Third party insurance
                    What is the Compulsory Third Party Insurance on my vehicle licence?

Third Party Insurance is a compulsory part of your vehicle registration. Third Party Insurance is issued under the Motor Vehicle (Third Party Insurance ) Act (1943) and agrees to insure the driver of the vehicle against personal injury to other parties.

In Western Australia, the Insurance Commission of Western Australia is the only provider of Compulsory Third Party Insurance. Policy details are on the back of your vehicle licence.

What does it cover?

The Compulsory Third Party Insurance policy gives you unlimited protection in the event that a claim for personal injury or death is made against you as a result of your negligent driving. It does not however cover you for damage to any vehicles or property.
                    Your Compulsory Third Party Insurance policy gives you another benefit too. If you are injured due to the negligence of another driver, and can prove that negligence, your medical and associated expenses will be met under the terms of the policy.

There are conditions that apply to Third Party Insurance. You will find the conditions and warranties written on the back of your vehicle registration papers.

The Third Party Insurance coverage on all vehicle registrations lapses fifteen days after the registration expiry date, payment must be made within this period. You will not be insured after this time and the vehicle cannot be driven.

The account for certain types of vehicles requires the owner to choose between Private And Standard Rate options. If the wrong rate is paid and the vehicle is at default in an accident, then you, as the owner described in the vehicle licence issued may be in breach of the policy of insurance. This may then result in a recovery action by the Insurance Commission of Western Australia, against you, for the costs of settling that personal injury claim, in accordance with the Motor Vehicle (Third Party Insurance) Act 1943.
                    Now the back of your rego form states.

The owner warrants that the vehicle will not be -
                    blah
                    blah
                    blah
                    Driven by or in charge of himself or any other person who is unlicenced to drive or who is under the influence of intoxicating liquor
                    So it's simple.

Drive without a licence and you have no 3rd party.

Injure yourself or someone else and you will be liable for the costs of the health care.

Have fun

Comment

Yeah but...

Driven by or in charge of himself or any other person who is unlicenced to drive or who is under the influence of intoxicating liquor
                      Even if you are riding out of class....you ARE still licenced to drive...

If the quote is correct, it doesn't implicitly say

Driven by or in charge of himself or any other person who is unlicenced the drive the vehicle or who is under the influence of intoxicating liquor

However thats just using your quote as I don't have a copy of a licence I can check it against....

Just to set the record straight right off the bat, i'm not trying to stir shit, i'm actually interested as it's a question i've been asking a few people and haven't had an answer i'm convinced is correct from them.

Russ

Comment

Incorrect Oddz.

Allow me to quote Section 49 of the Road Traffic Act.

49. Offence of driving motor vehicle without appropriate driver's licence
                        (1) Subject to this section and to sections 48C to 48F, every person who ¾

(a) drives a motor vehicle of a class for which he is not the holder of the appropriate, valid driver's licence; or

( employs, or permits, some other person to drive a motor vehicle of a class for which that other person is not the holder of the appropriate, valid driver's licence,

on a road, commits an offence.

Penalty: For a first offence, 6 PU.
                        For a subsequent offence, 12 PU.
                        Read part (a).

And never challenge the Melkor on law type stuff

Comment

You get me all wrong Mr Melkor...just trying to clarify my understanding of it...

Thanks for the info...appreciate it

Russ

Comment

That's why I put the in. I know you weren't having a go. You'll find I'm still pretty cluey when it comes to road traffic law. So, when people have questions I'm more than happy to answer them.

Also, I'm not preaching, simply advising. I REALLY don't care if anyone doesn't want to take my advice, it aint my job anymore. Not for a long time... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

melkor - I have a question for you.
                              since we have third party against injury with our drivers license, how is third party on your vehicle any different? (as in, are we being shafted by the government by them charging us twice for the same thing, as I originally thought when they introduced it!)

and also, i meant to say injury/harm in my above post, not damage (even tho my assumption was incorrect anyway.
                              No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X