Claming bike expenses on tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claming bike expenses on tax

How many of you guys & gals claim your bikes & running costs?

Eg - I'm self employed and work from home, so travelling to client's offices and back is considered legitimate expenses. My accountant said i claim my percentage of usage (3mth log book needed) of my fuel, insurance, rego, etc as well as percentage of interest on finance.

only prob is having to pay for standard rego and business use insurance (only extra $350 per year for me for the insurance).

not bad, given you use it mainly for work for the 3mth logbook period, then....

u should be able to claim up to 5000km annually without a logbook. there are three ways you can claim logbook, 5000km and cant remember the other one. Not sure if this applies to mcycles iei know you cant salary sacrifice a bike
    Sis pacis. Instruo pro bellum.

Comment

You can't claim a motorbike, specifically excluded.
      I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

Originally posted by hokoyo View Post
        mind telling me where you got that, as my accountant went through it and no, it's not excluded.

Comment

yeh i wrote 2 bikes, safty gear, services etc off on tax when i was a courier. had to keep pesky log books and petrol rcpt's but it was worth it

Comment

Originally posted by hokoyo View Post
            quickly rang my accountant and you're half right - if you're an individual and employed by a company then no, you can't claim it.

if you have your own business, then you can.

Comment

Originally posted by evo9ace View Post
              yeh i wrote 2 bikes, safty gear, services etc off on tax when i was a courier. had to keep pesky log books and petrol rcpt's but it was worth it
              it is a pain, but i have to do it for my car as it is, so not much more paperwork and it makes it cheaper to run a bike (less hassle from the missus!)

Comment

I claimed as <1600cc car for self education expenses. ATO didn't kick up a fuss when they asked for a WRE breakdown.
                Last edited by Jonchilds; 25-10-2007, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post
                  I claimed as <1600cc car for self education expenses. ATO didn't kick up a fuss when they asked for a WRE breakdown.
                  yeah but its SELF ASSESSMENT so the onus is on YOU to claim correctly. You fuck it up and its your problem, not theirs.

Comment

you got 7 yrs of possible audit time to sweat that one out!

Comment

Originally posted by Hudo View Post
                      u should be able to claim up to 5000km annually without a logbook. there are three ways you can claim logbook, 5000km and cant remember the other one. Not sure if this applies to mcycles iei know you cant salary sacrifice a bike
                      Cents per kilometre method only applies to cars and not motorbikes.
                      http://www.aplaccounting.com.au

Comment

from the ATO regarding small businesses:

You usually get a deduction for all business purpose vehicle running costs.
                        • Other vehicles, including:
                          • ordinary cars, station wagons or four-wheel drives
                          • most other vehicles designed to carry less than one tonne or fewer than nine passengers, and
                          • utes and panel vans where private use is not strictly limited.
                        motorcycles are included in the group of "most other vehicles designed to carry less than one tonne or fewer than nine passengers" according the my accountant.

and with that:

if you do under 5000kms business travel in a year, you can only use:
                        • cents-per-kilometre method
                        • logbook method
                        but if you travel more than 5000kms business travel in a year:
                        • cents-per-kilometre method (claim limited to 5,000 km)
                        • logbook method
                        • 1/3 of actual expenses method
                        • 12% of original value method

Comment

ato link - Calculate your allowable deductions

Comment

Originally posted by The Sage View Post
                            from the ATO regarding small businesses:

motorcycles are included in the group of "most other vehicles designed to carry less than one tonne or fewer than nine passengers" according the my accountant.

and with that:

if you do under 5000kms business travel in a year, you can only use:
                            • cents-per-kilometre method
                            • logbook method
                            but if you travel more than 5000kms business travel in a year:
                            • cents-per-kilometre method (claim limited to 5,000 km)
                            • logbook method
                            • 1/3 of actual expenses method
                            • 12% of original value method
                            Yes but if you look at the rates, they only relate to cars and not motorcycles.

But technically a motorcycle qualifies as other vehicles designed to carry less than one tonne or fewer than nine passengers
                            http://www.aplaccounting.com.au

Comment

Found this on ATO site

Utility trucks, panel vans, large passenger-carrying vehicles and motorcycles

If you owned, leased or hired (under a hire purchase agreement), one or more of the following vehicles and used them for work purposes, you can claim the costs you incurred relating to this work use (for example, the cost of petrol and oil).
                              • A utility truck or panel van with a carrying capacity of one tonne or more.
                              • A vehicle with a carrying capacity of nine or more passengers.
                              • A motorcycle.
                              You can claim the costs you actually incurred. As these types of vehicles are not considered to be cars you cannot use the ‘cents per kilometre’ method or any other method described in Claiming a deduction for car expenses to calculate your claim.
                              I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

Working...
                              X