Bangkok is a country of squids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangkok is a country of squids

I just got back from Bangkok yesterday, I was in Thailand for about 10 days. Apart from the hordes of prostitutes, old crusty shirtless men walking around with said prostitutes and the odd surprisingly sexy lady boy, I noticed thousands of Thai people have a death wish on 2 wheels.

Motorbikes are very popular because they are cheap and easy to use and to park. Plus even cheaper fake Honda/Yamaha copy bikes are all but identical and are widely avaliable.
    Many roads are 6 lanes with a maddening blair of horns, exhaust fumes and drivers dodging between lanes.

Yet people usually ride in shorts, short sleeves tshirt, often flip flops and often no helmet. Weaving in and out of traffic. They often carry passengers and the trendy thing is for girls in skirts to sit slantways on the back of the back, both legs hanging off one side, while the guy ducks through traffic.

I havnt uploaded any of my pics of the crazy scenes yet, so here is a quick googled one. This isn't a one of kind of thing, it's everywhere. This guy is probably dropping his kids off at school.

Now Thailand is a Buddhist country and they legitimately do take their spirituality very seriously. We went to a small temple, a local one away from the tourist areas. There were large statues of Buddha and a very peaceful atmosphere. A Thai man had just bought a bike, it still had the plastic shrink wrap on the seat. The first thing he did was bring it to the temple for it to be blessed by the monk, who wrote an inscription on the front just above the light. This is all well and good, but Buddha won't save you from the cages.

Also there are motorcycle taxi's, the roads are chock a block full of them. I blatantly refused to go on, even though it'd have been fun.

Whats the difference between coming off a bike with no helmet and gear at 60kmh in Perth vs in a poorer country where people cant afford those necessities? You'll be toast either way.

Have you ever travelled overseas and been shocked by the different standard and attitude towards safety? Ever hired a scooter or taken a motorbike taxi in Asia?
    "Take away love, and our earth is a tomb." Robert Browning

You should travel oversea more often, so it wouldnt suprise you anymore - because its normal.
    Jackie the C

I love V-twin ^^'

Comment

saw a tourist come off a scooter in phuket one time, he did have a helmet on but only tshirt, shorts and thongs.

he had gravel rash from arsehole to head all up his back, arms and legs cut up, nasty mess. the locals at least helped him out and called ambo's etc.

i was thinking of renting one of the 600's or 1000's they had but seeing that turned me off using there open face helmet and no jacket hire !! then i thought about there maintenace schedual lol and got a jeep instead.

the thai's must lose a few to road accidents
      Become a venture capitalist

Kiva, loans that save lives

Comment

Who needs utes?

Comment

Will be staying in Thailand over the christmas break. Got my wife beater, board shorts and double pluggers packed and ready.
          Can't wait to hire a fully sick R1 and fang it on those third world roads chock a block with third world drivers, might even be able to get the big yammy out of 1st!

1000cc sports bikes on thai roads, talk about square peg in a round hole.
          I guess it makes the squid tourists happy...

Comment

yeh but the locals RARELY have acidents, its all the tourists that do

DUbs

Comment

Bangkok is a city, not a country lol

Comment

is this a feral ute?

Asian ingenuity FTW

Comment

surprisingly enough, some perth drivers are worse, there complacent and in experienced and put other road users at risk. give a house wife V8 range rover sport a mobile and kids to keep happy and the first thing to go is respect of others on the road. in their cage their going to win every car vs bike vs pedestrian vs normal car incident and they know it so dont care about consequences.
                  Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

oh man i went to Amsterdam and GUESS WHAT everyone is on BICYCLES without HELMETS ! ! ! Thousands of them all riding on the FOOTpath don't htey know those are for WALKING?? THEY MUST BE FUCKING CRAZY INSANE ALL OF THEM cos they're DIFFERENT TO US..

The thais also have an attitude of "Mai pen rai" - loosely translated to "Aaah it doesn't matter..."

Essentially they dont give two shits about much.. whatever will be will be. They don't fear death in the same way we do, they dont stress about every little thing like us, and though they are very poor on the whole, they are very happy. You can smile at almost any thai person in the street and be greeted with a lovely happy smile in return.

Your average working Thai is lucky to afford one of those cheap bikes, and yes it will generally be the vehicle used by the whole family - it's not uncommon to see a family of 4 PLUS a dog all on one 110cc scooter. It's unlikely that after purchasing a bike they would also be able to afford 4 helmets and leather jackets for the whole family. Plus the majority of the traffic they ride in is slow, and funnilly enough although it may look like chaos, there's a damn site more courtesy between motorists on thai roads than anywhere in the western world.

You tell me how many scooter riders you see in Perth wearing full face helmets and leathers? hmm?

Also if you were in bangkok for 10 days and all you saw were hoards of prostitutes and ladyboys, then you spent the whole time around Patpong road, and missed out on a myriad of sights and experiences that bangkok has to offer. Way to sterotype a huge city by what goes on in two streets at night.

Also bangkok = city lolz.

Comment

I think you'll find that the whole attitude towards road use over there is different (ie, a lot less "fuck everyone else, i have right of way so i'm going through, i don't care"), which probably does more to reduce the potential road toll more than gear ever will.

sure, i'm pretty sure china's road toll is a world leader in its number, but per capita or per road user i would be surprised if it was that high...

I was on holiday in Vanuatu as a kid - they didn't even have a designated side of the road to drive on, and yet they seem to mostly survive...
                      Last edited by thro; 27-10-2007, 12:07 PM.
                      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Yeah we are safety nazis here. Its all to do with our ingrained culture of having rules/laws for absolutely everything. We are used to there being a 'correct' way to do everything, so anyone who does it differently stands out and cops the wrath of the conservative majority here.

you've also got to remember that none of the people in Asian countries have those little 125cc bikes because they love to ride. They have them purely because it is the cheapest form of transport available. They dont have a lot of money. They are probably not in a position to go spend 1k on clothing when thats probably all their bikes cost in the first place!

Oh and i'll give you a hot tip - if you want to see the exact same thing (ie no protective gear), you didnt have to travel overseas, you could have just waited until the height of summer in Perth, or QLD or NT.

Comment

i whent to thailand on a school trip, and was extreamly surpised that they would let any old tourist with $50 aussie rent a CBR 600, sure they were a couple years old, but had plenty to do some thing stupid on, no licence or helmet needed. also the roads were pretty crazy these little modpes would fang past our bus and lane split redicuosly tight spots but neve saw one crash so good on them i gues
                          Hot air balloons, the gentleman's escape vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by shmoo View Post
                            Oh and i'll give you a hot tip - if you want to see the exact same thing (ie no protective gear), you didnt have to travel overseas, you could have just waited until the height of summer in Perth, or QLD or NT.
                            You mean like this?

Comment

Yeah, you can see people using their mobile phone driving too, which is even worse
                              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Working...
                              X