The Case Against Speed Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case Against Speed Cameras

After searching around on the net for advanced riding techniques i came across this article that discusses the Speed Camera debate in quite an interesting fashion - albeit based on UK data from 2004. I found it to be a very interesting read and quite applicable to what we are seeing happen in Australia:

http://members.ii.net/~munch/Documen...eedCameras.pdf

Cheers

Ben

The great 'speeding' red herring. But of course, it keeps the punters happy AND makes government money so why change it? Don't worry about the fact that speed cameras are ineffective these days because motorists are accustomed to the manner in which they are used and have developed a somewhat cynical view of their true purpose, those things are the bees knees, son!

Oh, here are some serious crash and fatal stats from last year for WA to back that up:
    • (i) 2006 calendar year.
        • Cause No Proportion
          Alcohol 45 7.9%
          Alcohol/Drugs 6 1.0%
          Alcohol/Speed 56 9 .8%
          Animals 10 1.7%
          Careless 100 17.5%
          Contravene TCL 2 0.3%
          Drugs 4 0.7%
          Fail to give way 55 9.6%
          Fatigue 28 4.9%
          Heart attack 2 0.3%
          Inattention 75 13.1%
          Inexperience 13 2.3%
          Load shift 2 0.3%
          Mechanical 2 0.3%
          NULL 4 0.7%
          Object through window 1 0.2%
          Other medical 19 3.3%
          Overtaking 23 4.0%
          Person fell from Vehicle 4 0.7%
          Reckless 21 3 .7%
          Road Condition 6 1.0%
          Speed 68 11.9%
          Stop sign 3 0.5%
          Travel too close 2 0.3%
          Turn in front 4 0.7%
          Tyre blow out 9 1.6%
          Visibility 4 0.7%
          Weather Conditions 4 0.7%
          Total 572 100.0%

Comment

i htink inattention is the biggest thing but that only accounts for 13.1% and the list doesnt include suicide
      As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

'Soul' - Italian word for unreliability.

For a way to start racing cheap, go here > http://supermotowa.com

Comment

How does someone determine that inexperience caused a fatal accident?
        This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
          How does someone determine that inexperience caused a fatal accident?
          jump on the accelerator rather than brake, etc because they have not built up a suitable reaction based on experience...I think

Comment

Inexperience is likely to be failing to react appropriately when an emergency situation presents itself.

For example, dog runs out on road. Teenage girl jerks steering wheel to the far right, then over corrects trying to straighten the car up, rolling the car.

Comment

You know what I would genuinely like to see?

A politician come out and say;

"Yes, speed cameras are purely revenue raising devices. We happily acknowledge this and suggest that if people dont like it, they shouldnt speed."

At least then they are being honest with people. I would admire that and i actually think it would be quite a clever thing to say.

Comment

Further to some stats I quoted out of a road safety brochure in Desmos (now closed) pineapple thread I just noticed another pearler:

On the cover of the brochure:

At just 5kph over, the impact is 40x greater.

So, this means if you are 45kph over, then the impact will be 10,240x greater!

Don't speed Guys!
                "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

"Did you know it takes 45 metres to stop from 60kph?" - Bumper sticker. Is that so you don't spill your beer or what?
                  This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

no it just tells you when to start braking before the pub
                    As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

'Soul' - Italian word for unreliability.

For a way to start racing cheap, go here > http://supermotowa.com

Comment

So i guess it doesnt matter whether you have STOCK AS A ROCK or complete Braided Brembo with upgraded master/slave cylinders - you'll still stop in 45m ?
                      Hmmm intersting..

Comment

Knowing the speed ou are doing is really pretty useless in normal driving except when you are trying to cover some distance, and I've never met a driver who used his velocity read off the speedometer to do any sort of calculation which would aid his driving (like braking distance). It's there purely to help you stay under the legal limit, every other judgement like how fast to take a corner, how fast you can travel safely on this road, how long it would take to stop etc. is made purely from experience and logical thinking.
                        sigpic

Comment

tyres will usually make more of a differance in a once off emergency application than the breaks you have (assuming they work most breaks nowdays can lock a tyre(s)) the bigger breaks and braded lines are for preventing fade under continual use i.e track work.
                          veichle weight, driver skill all play a part, how the hell can they say it takes xxm to stop from xxkph!!??
                          I guess its just a average to scare people with on a sticker, oh well.

definatelly agree careless and inattention are the big ones but I guess they cant build a machine to fine people for those ones??
                          Last edited by pottz; 01-11-2007, 05:34 PM.
                          Voltron-Evo. https://www.facebook.com/?_rdr=p#!/voltronmotorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                            "Did you know it takes 45 metres to stop from 60kph?" - Bumper sticker. Is that so you don't spill your beer or what?
                            It's that extra 10km/h that's a killer!

In your licence test you are given 12m to stop from 50km/h. So it takes an extra 33m when you are only going 10km/h faster? I don't think so.
                            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

your kinetic energy in a 2 ton car at 60km/h is 277,775 J

at 65km/h its 325802 J

that means its only 17.3% more energy at an extra 5km/h

At higher speeds the difference gets smaller. so maybe at a low enough speed the impact could be 40x greater

even at 5km/h and 10km/h the difference in energy is only 4x
                              How dare they lie to us with dodgy statistics

Hmm actually 6km/h has 36 times more energy than 1km/h they could be onto something here.
                              Wes

Comment

Working...
                              X