First bike - found one but some issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bike - found one but some issues

I've test driven a bunch of CBR250RRs and single Rs.
    I found a CBR250R for a great price and it seems to be good condition, but there are some slight mechanical issues. I dont know how big.

The seller is an older guy who fixed the bike back up after his sons friend blew the motor up. So it has a new (second hand) motor installed. It also went over the pits a little while ago.

The only mechanical issues are this - when it starts from cold it sounds like it is running 3 cylinders. The seller thinks the carbys need tuning
    Once its warmed up and driving it sounds fine, accelerates well etc. However when you back off the throttle there is a little over run and again it sounds like its only running on 3 cylinders.
    However when you accelerate it sounds fine.

The price is cheap so I think I have a slight buffer in case something goes wrong. And I've booked it into a bike shop for them to have a look over it.

If I were to summon the great, powerful gods of PSB knowledge, what would their recommendations be? Would there be any cautions or experience?
    "Take away love, and our earth is a tomb." Robert Browning

I'd get a compression test.

If all 4 cylinders are good, it's probably something reasonably simple to fix, like a plug, plug lead, carb tune, etc.

edit:
    Also, keep in mind - they're made to rev to about 17,000rpm. If you're putting around on over-run, the bike may sound like it stumbles a little bit - even my new 600rr does that.
    Last edited by thro; 02-11-2007, 10:42 AM.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

If its 'that' cheap do as thro says, the most sensible option.
      Most people are pretty impatient with there first bike and dont want the down time with any fixes, if this sounds like you (its me) then save a little more

Comment

If you dead keen on this bike, as thro stated get a compression test, surest way to know if it's got $$$ issues causing the shoddy running

Comment

The bike going over the pits doesn't mean much.
          They check wheel/steering/swingarm bearings, lights, and anything else that's obvious.

Comment

Also... if in doubt, walk away. Bikes don't just "blow up" for no reason, and if someone has managed to blow up a cbr250rr, i'd say it was likely due to abuse - or faulty ancilliaries (eg, carbs way out of tune, running way lean, etc).

Whats to say the abuse has stopped or the fuel system fault was fixed after the engine was replaced?

It's not like they're a rare bike, so definitely... if in doubt... find another one.
            Last edited by thro; 02-11-2007, 10:57 AM.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Also - If it was something as easy as a carb balance or new plugs, why doesn't the guy get it done prior to selling?

Would make selling it much easier for the sake of an hour or $50.

Comment

I'd take the carbs off and give them a good service, clean and tune. That'd probably sort it out. It's pretty easy to do yourself. The scary part is finding something that needs replacing.
                PSB Roller - http://soundcloud.com/talon

Comment

Working...
                X