EMERGENCY Trackday qn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMERGENCY Trackday qn!

OK riding along yesterday I pulled over for lunch then got a call to come in and help for work for a few hours I wasn't busy so i said OK, so I go to start the bike again and tictictictic... nothing So I push start it and have enough to get it going, and watch the lcd screen fade in and out so long story short I don't go straight to work I take it to the Mechanic then Taxi to work only to get the bad news just now...

My Alternator is farked!

So my qn is can I still use the bike at the track tomorrow with a charged battery and a spare for later/in case knowing that no charge will be going back to the battery? and Is that advisable?

Either that or someone could lend me a bike? Or some luck bastard will score a last minute pass.

Dude you can do that, just so long as you have enough spare batteries
    Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

I can bring a battery charger down which you can keep a spare in while using the other if ya want, should be fine to do it this way. If not I'llbuy your ticket off if you can't use it.

Comment

Some people use race-bikes with alternators disconnected and charge the battery between races/ sessions.
        If a mechanic can confirm this will work for your bike..?, all you need is a battery charger i'll lend ya one..

DD

Comment

Mmm I want to ride it. I'll have a new battery in at the start of the day and the old one charged up ready to go, Anyone with a charger there on the day will be much appreciated, so thanks for the offers. If your coming up pls bring it I won't have much room (riding the bike up there) So long as it's not going to be a scrutineering issue I'll be there. Well I'll go regardless but better to be riding.

Comment

Shouldn't be a scruiteneering issue considering that saf runs a total loss system himself, including powering his air compressor gear change system.

I'll take a charger along too in the kit millsy. Should keep ya sweet.

Comment

ahh ok cool then, the alternator can stay disconnected and I'll charge on the day If need be I didn't think it'd a problem but better to be sure.

Comment

HONDA!!!!

It had to be said, sorry, mate.
                2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                Amen, brother. Amen.
                My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                  HONDA!!!!

It had to be said, sorry, mate.
                  Hate you so much right now...

Comment

Millsy I will definatly bring a charger its only 600ma though the other one is 8 amp an a bit too much for a bike battery. Kinda surpised its the alt normally the regulator rectifyers go umm hang on there was former meber would is a big H fan that managed to kill off an alt every 10 000kms without fail. Disconnect any hard wired lights etc etc espcailly the headlight.
                    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

YEs you can Millsy..

However the question i would be asking is why is your alternator fucked..

CBillyR is correct some race bikes run a total loss system without alternators and such you must charge the battery after every race..

What you do is up to you.. However if the reason your bike is now on the Fucked list is cause it is shorting out somewhere and you keep riding it.. you could fry your wiring harness or even your ECu.. thats big dollars.

So up to you..

So Many Assholes, So Few Bullets

Comment

track bikes don't have lights and they drain the system very quickly. So if your riding up, your screwed. Get a trailer and get a lift. and disconnect the lights
                        Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

I've run my old XE Falcon with the battery removed, and also did it with a deisel Landcruiser work ute at Telfer.
                          Can't a Fireblade be run, once started, w/out a battery?
                          2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                          In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                          Amen, brother. Amen.
                          My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Not without an alternator to supply power to the ingition ECU and fuel pump. You need ethier a batt or an alt prefably both.

A problem with a Honda charging system is not out of the ordinary they should be nortious they are worse than Italian bikes by a fair margin.
                            Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                              I've run my old XE Falcon with the battery removed, and also did it with a deisel Landcruiser work ute at Telfer.
                              Can't a Fireblade be run, once started, w/out a battery?
                              I would have thought so but probably not without an alternator which is the problem.

The headlights I'll unplug in the morning for the run up and during the day, the Alternator probably just went from natural causes, I've put 20,000km on it in little over a year without issue and it now has over 60,000km's total so i don't suspect a more sinister problem at this stage.( crosses fingers, *looks to see which naysayers don't have tickets*)

Comment

Working...
                              X