stoppies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stoppies...

Ok so i thought i was clever getting a few lame slow to a stop stoppies happening...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLdWUtrOMMU"]YouTube - extremely fast and long stoppies[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcDMJo_lok8"]YouTube - Worlds longest stoppie with Yamaha Slider 350m[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPpiH3uOiHc"]YouTube - Polish record in stoppie - 201 metres by Raptowny.[/ame]

need cheap bike to practice on...

More seriously. Have heard rumours that rolling stoppies are actually pretty "safe" (well relatively speaking here of course) as the bike is stable due to the gyro effect of the wheels, etc...

Anyone qualified to comment on that?
    Last edited by thro; 03-11-2007, 09:41 PM.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

they are less 'safe' than a wheelie as you have no way to bring the bike back from going past balance point... if you go past balance point, you're fucked.

Just ask Bigtim!

I almost borked one once..

That ended in some very sore nuts.

Comment

Oh yeah i realise they're less safe than wheelies

I used to love doing them on my old BMX, but never attempted a rolling one before...

The "pretty safe" comment was in relation to rolling stoppies vs low speed to a stop ones....
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

i would say .. the 'advantage' any kinda gyroscopic effect would give would be well and truly outweighed by the increased potential for disaster that comes with gettin the back wheel off the ground at ~80kph

Comment

Yeah, agreed, hence my not trying it yet

Perhaps i should re-phrase to "safer than it may appear" or something. Ie, forgetting the fact that you can go over the handlebars, the higher wheel speed should make the bike easier to keep straight, yes?

Obviously getting either one of your wheels airborne has the *potential* for disaster...

Comment

yeh keeping it straight is easy at speed. when you come to a stop the back flips out depending which handlebar you are putting more weight on..

but keeping it straight is not what makes my anus pucker when i do rolling stoppies.. its the possibility of going over the front and having the bike crack me on the back/head as it lands.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
              but keeping it straight is not what makes my anus pucker
              Oh now the PSB community is intrigued. Do tell.

Comment

That is pretty impressive and kinda scary

I think i'll leave that to the experts ^_^
                `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

Working...
                X