Q-ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q-ride

Hi guys, long time without posting here, but someone may know the answer to the question I am asking.

Queensland has a system called Q-ride, which allows over 21 year olds to basically go from no-license to open license in 1 or 2 days. It has a long course teaching all the do's and dont's of road riding etc.

Would I be able to go there, get my open license and then be able to ride with it here?

Just so you know I am not being completely stupid, I currently ride a RMX 250 (2-stroke) off road, and was looking to get a DRZ 400 or similar for an on-road bike. So I dont really want a powerful bike for when I go onroad or anything.

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
    Queensland has a system called Q-ride, which allows over 21 year olds to basically go from no-license to open license in 1 or 2 days. It has a long course teaching all the do's and dont's of road riding etc.
    Zero to Hero in 1-2 days? That Q-ride sure sounds like an excellent training scheme.

Not.
    "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

Its all a bit vague you would need to have a QLD residential address and probally a drivers licence as well. Usally the rule is once you've been where ever for more that three months you are supposed to get a local licesnse unless the same cop pulls you over time and time again and checks your license not sure how they prove you've been local more than three months. You sure its not to LAMS power to wieght ratio thing? which the DRZ-400 would be covered by anyway.
      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

no he's right. Q-ride is a strange system. Has copped a hell of a lot of criticism (not surprisingly I might ad). The news on the grapevine is that its been a disaster with an increase in deaths and serious accidents since they introduced it and is being constantly reviewed.

Basically, if you've had a car license for 3yrs you can go straight from learner to open bike license if you pass through the courses which are run by registered bodies. Teh courses are substantial but there is no requirement to have learners for 3 or 6 months and you can then go out and buy whatever you want.

Comment

No it's full open license, There are a heap of guys coming out and getting SV650's on another forum I am part of, a couple of people have got straight onto 600's and one bloke got an R1 against all logical advice.

As for time it takes 6-8 hours over 1 or two days and it is apparently pretty intense, much better than riding on the streets with an instructor. They teach you wet weather riding, emergency braking from 100km/hr have tracks with different surfaces etc.

Comment

As for time it takes 6-8 hours over 1 or two days and it is apparently pretty intense, much better than riding on the streets with an instructor. They teach you wet weather riding, emergency braking from 100km/hr have tracks with different surfaces etc.
            A 1 or 2 day course is bullshit. Its great that they have that course, but no way can it replace a year of riding around like we have.

the LAMS system that all the other states have is better IMHO.

Comment

much better than riding on the streets with an instructor.
              And, when they first venture out on to the road with their brand new licence in their pocket, the first time a car turns right in front of them will be the end of their (brief but glorious) riding career.

Reminds me of when the Germans in WW2 reduced their fighter pilot training to the bare minimum in 1944-45. The idea was to get new pilots into high performance Me109 and FW190 fighterplanes asap to help shoot down American day bombers. The result was that most of these newbie pilots crashed and burned before even getting in sight of the American bomber formations.
              Last edited by Spock; 06-11-2007, 02:47 PM.
              "Live Long and Prosper"

Comment

The 2 day intensive course sounds good. May be they should do that in WA as well for a 250 license. As well as the cage equivelant.

Comment

regardless of opinions of the Q-Ride system the answer to your question is;

I hold an interstate licence. How can I get a Queensland driver licence?
                  To get a Queensland driver licence for the same class as your interstate licence you will need to:For more information visit the licensing area.
                  You may also be required to:
                  • show evidence that you are medically fit to drive safely
                  • pass an eyesight test
                  • pay the licence fee, if you wish to purchase an additional period.

So you would need to transfer your drivers license to QLD then go through Q-ride.

You would need to find out if you can transfer your drivers license and then immediately go for q-ride or whether they require you to have the QLD license for the 3yr period first.

Comment

Originally posted by IPIT View Post
                    The 2 day intensive course sounds good. May be they should do that in WA as well for a 250 license. As well as the cage equivelant.
                    6-8 hours over 1 or two days and it is apparently pretty intense, They teach you wet weather riding, emergency braking from 100km/hr have tracks with different surfaces etc.
                    This kind of course is good for post licence training. We have something similar with AHG's advanced car and bike courses.
                    "Live Long and Prosper"

Comment

WTF do you do to prove residence - show that you got something mailed to you at that address?

Comment

Just so you know I am not being completely stupid, I currently ride a RMX 250 (2-stroke) off road, and was looking to get a DRZ 400 or similar for an on-road bike. So I dont really want a powerful bike for when I go onroad or anything.
                        What are you going to do with the RMX??

Comment

did you go to the link mate?

Comment

1-2 day course is bullshit.

You can do all the theory you like, without putting it into practice over a period of time, your muscle memory etc won't work properly.

As said, it's better than nothing, but to assume that you can do a simple 2 day course and expect to be able to ride at the end of it is a bit optimistic, imho.

fyi, i went to a road bike after having ridden a dirt bike since i was 11. two totally different activities - while you might have an advantage when it comes to bike control in some aspects, it will still take more than 2 days to get sorted.
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Scoundrel View Post
                              What are you going to do with the RMX??
                              I am keeping it for now - might even get it road-rego'd. But then I need to change wheels between Road / off road use so that will get frustrating. - I can do full wheel changes in about 15min though.

Comment

Working...
                              X