X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dowerin - The Wheatbelt Motorplex

G'day.

A bit of an update for all those interested in the Wheatbelt Motorplex and many, many thanks for all the suggestions and enthusiasm. We have noted the requests for 4km + length etc. I can't realistically tell anyone what the final design will eventually be, however Will Croft is central to the design of the track and is coming up to view the land on Sunday 11th. We will do all we can to ensure motorcycle enthusiasts have a top facility and although there will always be compromises, as someone has previously posted, if you don't get it right first up, then it won't work.

We are trying to take in everyone's suggestions (cars and bikes), to the point where we our research has even meant that we will include a child care centre for mums,dads and young kids to have somewhere decent to rest, while partners and friends play on the circuit.

The first of a myriad of funding applications was completed today (6th Nov) and the process is well and truly underway, with bi-partisan support from the major political parties, both State and Federal, with special mention warranted for Kim Chance (Lab) who specifically told me bikes had to be looked after) and Wilson Tuckey (Lib), plus Brendon Grylls (Nat).

On another point, I note that somebody had a go at me for a letter I wrote to The West Australian on Thursday 7th December 2006. Here it is reprinted (with an irrelevant paragraph excluded):

" ... although I am occasionally appalled by car drivers attitudes, I'm more often shocked at the stupidity and lack of thought by fellow motorbike riders.
    I regularly see riders speed through red lights, weave at high speed through cars and accelerate at speeds far faster than the surrounding traffic, all of which is blatant insanity and a recipe for a rapid exit from this earth. ... it's vital to continue educating car drivers, but I think it's even more important to drive home the need for sanity among some motorcyclists."

I stand by the comments. I love my bike, I love the road and I love speed - in the right circumstances - I could tell you that some say I hold the record for Perth (Bell Tower) to Broome (China Town) by car in 17.5hrs, but of course that would mean I hadn't stayed within gazetted limits, so of course I can't tell you that.

My heart churns every time I hear of a motorcyclist not making it. As a 56 year old dad, I hate it. The letter was written out of care and concern for fellow human beings. I'd like to share a drink with all of you at the Cola Cafe in Toodyay, Charley Clarke's Yerrecoin Tavern and in 12 months or so, at the Wheatbelt Motorplex, where I intend to build a safe haven for everyone to cut loose in as safe a conditions as possible.
    All Good Things
    Greg Ross

OH, wow, As a racing mum, I DREAM of a race track with a child care or creche!!
    222 Loctite doesn't taste too bad.

Comment

Cheers for the update,

As far as the drags go, as long as it's a 1/4 mile everyone will be happy. If you could have a look at the latest US trend and have a 1 mile track it would make me very happy.
      My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
      Motorcycle Panel & Paint
      Q-Zar Fremantle
      Rated-R Parts
      PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
      Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
      CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
      Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

Good to hear Greg. This is exciting. I agree with your West Australian letter, except for one bit: I will always accelerate at a greater rate (getting up to or around the posted speed limit) than the rest of the traffic. It keeps me away from idiots as much as possible. Back when I got my licence, my instructor AND examiner both told me: "Get out in front with some good, positive acceleration and get yourself out into the clear road. You don't want to be mixing it with everyone else as they're jostling for position, pulling away from the lights".

Anyway, I look forward to further progress on the track, sounds ike it's gonna be a good 'un.
        Find me on Instagram

Comment

Thanks for the Update Greg. I look forward to seeing further progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
            OH, wow, As a racing mum, I DREAM of a race track with a child care or creche!!
            +1.

Thankyou for your update.

And a suggestion on the track design? Take a little of Phillip Island...a little of Sepang...and I reckon you'll have a winner! Please dont make it boring!
            Originally posted by Red_is_Best
            hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Originally posted by TYSON View Post
              Cheers for the update,

As far as the drags go, as long as it's a 1/4 mile everyone will be happy. If you could have a look at the latest US trend and have a 1 mile track it would make me very happy.
              Any chance of catering for a "Flying mile" event?
              Several km of straight, fairly level track where people can go for pure top speed, and possibly have it timed over a small section?
              It could perhaps be doubled with the drag strip to prevent duplicating a section of tarmac, with a turn-off at 1/4 and 1.0 miles to keep people like TYSON happy...

Comment

on ya Greg. Looking forward to the progress and thanks for keeping us updated.

I was out your way not too long ago and i was trying to figure out the exact location, but I struggled to pinpoint it. If i may make a suggestion - once everything is finalised and approvals given, how about putting up a couple of big signs on the main road saying something like "Future site of the Wheatbelt Motorplex" or some such. Might spark even more interest if people can actually see where it is going to be.

Cheers again
                jono

Comment

awesome!!! fingers crossed for a 4km+ track.
                  Originally posted by kyliejane
                  benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
                  Originally posted by harns
                  Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Can we have even right and left handers please?

Top stuff!

Comment

ooh, ooh ooh, and a corkscrew please
                      Originally posted by kyliejane
                      benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
                      Originally posted by harns
                      Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fastgirl View Post
                        Please dont make it boring!
                        Hopefully it won't look like this:

"Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

awesome stuff, really hope this one is a goer after Bunbury.

Thanks.

Comment

Here ya go...might help with track design ideas...

Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                            hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Awesome stuff Greg, thanks for keeping us updated.

Perhaps it's time for a group ride to Dowerin to check this site out?

Comment

Working...
                              X