X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Ride Naked!!

DON'T RIDE NAKED!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The sun is shining it is 80 degrees and you are going to hit the highway screaming on that big gleaming motor scooter that is sitting in your garage. Well, before you climb on that chromed out beast, take at look in the mirror. Are you dressed for a day of riding or are you dressed for a day at the beach?

Start at the feet, are they in those tire tread gucci sandals that you just couldn't pass up or are they in over the ankle leather boots with non-skid soles? Toes do not fair well, when they slip off the pegs at 65 mph. Ten toes seem to fill out shoes so much better than 8 or 9.

Next, look at your legs. Can you see your legs? If you can, that is a big no-no. Exhaust burns on the calves are not cool. They should be covered at the very least by a good set of denim jeans. If you would like a little more between you and the highway, than the 6 seconds that it takes for asphalt to grind through your levis, padded leather pants or chaps are an option.

Now lets look at the upper torso. Ok, so you work out at the gym everyday for 4 hours. That 6 pack does look good, but at high speeds who can see it anyway?! And ladies, we do not want to cause any accidents out there so keep them covered! Most prefer to ride in a t-shirt or tank, yes it is comfortable but if denim only gives 6 seconds of protection, how much protection will you get out of that shirt? Heavy leather coats are just that, heavy and hot. There are many tightly woven nylon coats out there with added padding and venting. They give good protection, not only from accidents, but also from them darn bugs that hurt when they hit you and most are waterproof.

Now lets look at that mug that is looking back at you. So you think I am going to preach about wearing a helmet? Nope, that is your choice. If you live in certain states though, that might also be the law. I choose to wear a skid lid. When we are out of our home state, my husband chooses not to. He does not ridicule me for my decision, nor do I for his. If you do purchase a helmet for protection, choose one that fits properly. It should sit flat on top of your head and not cocked back like a cowboy hat. Also select one that is DOT approved. A "peanut" helmet is just that, it will split like a peanut when it hits the pavement.

See those eyes that are looking directly at you? Cover them up. You can select, glasses, goggles, or a face shield if your helmet is equipped with one. Don't forget, if you end up out at night, also have clear eye protection.

So you think that you are completely covered and ready to go? What about those things hanging at the end of your wrists? Thats right! You need to cover your hands also. Not only are they the first things you stick out to catch you in a fall, they are the main thing that you use to control that steel steed. There are great padded gloves out there, that also protect your palms and fingers from the vibration. You can chose to wear the awesome ones that leave you fingers exposed, but I don't like bug-goo on mine.

Now you are dressed and ready to ride. If you pass me on the byways of this great land, I will give you the traditional nod. You will know it is me, I don't ride naked!

right.... copy and paste from a yank that feels they need to pass on their "wisdom"! ( in itself)

So... they feel they need to tell you that
    1) bare legs are a no no.... and denim only lasts 6 seconds...

...but Chaps are Ok/recommended????
    ( either for fashion or protection.... nothing like leather everywhere except your arse.... one of the most common places to take impact/damage and the one that will cause you the most inconvenience in terms of minor injuries/gravel rash etc....)

They then n proceed to tell you helmet is your choice!

PS - To the writer, what "great land" are you talking about?

To ~starfire~.... you liked that piece so much you wanted to share?... might as well bring back that Texas ranger dude....

Comment

you get up on the wrong side this morning xphread?..... look upon the ramblings and posts of the new with some good will and indulgence, as all too soon they turn into a bitter hater or postwhore.....

Just a point though, always provide a link to what you are copy/pasting, as there is Intellectual Property laws involved, and we don't want to break the law now do we :p
      Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

I'd rail that prick on principle.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackFZR View Post
          you get up on the wrong side this morning xphread?..... look upon the ramblings and posts of the new with some good will and indulgence, as all too soon they turn into a bitter hater or postwhore.....

Just a point though, always provide a link to what you are copy/pasting, as there is Intellectual Property laws involved, and we don't want to break the law now do we :p
          thanks, it was sent to me by my boss who lost his brother in a bike accident so there was no link it was just a forwarded email.

Comment

Originally posted by xphread View Post
            right.... copy and paste from a yank that feels they need to pass on their "wisdom"! ( in itself)

So... they feel they need to tell you that
            1) bare legs are a no no.... and denim only lasts 6 seconds...

...but Chaps are Ok/recommended????
            ( either for fashion or protection.... nothing like leather everywhere except your arse.... one of the most common places to take impact/damage and the one that will cause you the most inconvenience in terms of minor injuries/gravel rash etc....)

They then n proceed to tell you helmet is your choice!

PS - To the writer, what "great land" are you talking about?

To ~starfire~.... you liked that piece so much you wanted to share?... might as well bring back that Texas ranger dude....
            Don't like it? Don't read it!

Comment

It's a two way street...

...and just to inject a few ccs of logic into that statement, you have to read it before you realise you don't like it.

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by ~starfire~ View Post
                Don't like it? Don't read it!
                Please dont take my previous reply personally... It wasnt intended that way. (I have a problem with the writer, not you)

If I dont read it how do I know its good advice or not?

My main point is that good information gets lost if its overwhelmed by rubbish.
                If PSB has more rubbish posted than good stuff... (including post whoring etc) then it loses its potential and wont be read at all.... so any good information would go unread.

All I'm saying is I think there are better sources of wisdom (on PSB and outside of it) about protective gear.
                My comment was simply indicating that this is not the best advice I have seen on PSB.

Comment

aww geez way to go people spoil my fun I was just about to do a naked run on "IT" down the freeway and up to joondalup but now after those words of wisdom I am going for a walk instead.

what a way to spoil someones fun

Comment

The last thing I need to do is ride nakid
                    The member for parliament is a little bruised n battered

But being a good worker I am sitting here at my desk basking in glory
                    Real Men Ride Nakid
                    http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Billywhizz View Post
                      The last thing I need to do is ride nakid
                      The member for parliament is a little bruised n battered

But being a good worker I am sitting here at my desk basking in glory
                      NAKED glory or just glory ??

Comment

frigging scooter riders

Comment

Its a Vespa too.

DEEEEEJ!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sabre1 View Post
                            NAKED glory or just glory ??
                            just the glory mate... with a large pair of overalls on to allow for expansion
                            Real Men Ride Nakid
                            http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Billywhizz View Post
                              just the glory mate... with a large pair of overalls on to allow for expansion

Comment

Working...
                              X