lane splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lane splitting

On my way to work this morning I split on albany hwy at the vic park entrance.

I noticed a bike behind me splitting so i pulled to the right when i got to the front so he could get through.

All was good.

Light goes green my bike stalls. Not usually a problem.. Except this time the guy in the car next/behind me decides to drive... through my leg which was in front of his car.
    The brave may not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all...

I'm hoping if the guy didn't stop you got his rego details? I'd be reporting that!

Comment

Are you ok? I had a dickhead in a Jiffy van today try and stop me from lane splitting, he angled his truck to block the left side of the right lane. I hope he enjoys his left mirror spinning like a top in the breeze now. :fuk:

Comment

if you split, you MUST beat the other traffic off the line. But that obviously doesnt give them the right to run you over.

oh and;
        "my bike stalled" = mechanical fault?
        "i stalled my bike" = you fault

Comment

^^^ whs

if you can't reliably get your bike off the line, don't split (what's this "usually" stuff? )

but yeah, hope you got their details, doesn't give them an excuse to run you over...
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Traffic stationary = filtering
            Traffic moving along as normal = splitting

Always gotta expect everyone to do the dumbest thing imaginable, they sure as hell aren't looking out for anyone but themselves. As demonstrated by the person who notices all the cars have moved into the lane continuing after a merge, so as to avoid any merging, and jumped into the left and undertakes everyone to the merge point, slams on the brakes then ducks for the right lane as soon as there is another gap. Everyone is inconvenienced for a tiny gain.
            This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Usually i can get it off the line fine no problems. I chnaged into first just before the light went green and i did have my clutch in it stalled. I think it may be idioling to low as it has done this before.

Not hurt luckly he didnt run over my foot.
              The brave may not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all...

Comment

I'd get the bike checked out hey - as demonstrated, just stalling for no reason is dangerous
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Yes but is lane splitting legal?

Comment

see below

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                      I'd get the bike checked out hey - as demonstrated, just stalling for no reason is dangerous
                      It stalled because he put it in gear without the clutch in.
                      I'd expect the bike to stall if I did that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr John View Post
                        Yes but is lane splitting legal?
                        Legal under the right circumstances. I just tried finding it; used to be under the FAQ section but it seems like there's nothing there at the moment. Going into the archives of the General Biking section gives us these posts:

Originally posted by Deej
                        I’m sure Melkor or Madmax will set us straight with this properly, but my layman’s understanding is there is nothing in the law that says it is illegal to lane split, but there is allowances under the law for Careless Riding and Failing to Indicate.

So, so long as you:

1) change lanes with due care and attention;
                        2) don’t miss cars with 5 mm to spare (see 1 above);
                        3) you indicate with ample warning if you are changing from one lane to the other;
                        4) you don’t cross over the solid white line dividing the lanes that commences like.. 20 metres out from the stop line, and;
                        5) you do not cross over the stop line at the lights at all;

Then I believe (disclaimer) you are in the clear.

There should be one more unofficial rule.... DONT lane split unless your bike has the ability to accelerate faster than anything you may meet at the front. Fortunalty there are not too many McClaren F1's on Perth roads.
                        Originally posted by #151
                        Lane Splitting is both illegal and legal.

It depends on the circumstances
                        If other traffic are STATIONARY then you can legally pass on left hand side and right hand side of vehicles, if;

no interference caused to other traffic

if moving between lanes, sufficient indication needs to be displayed/given

If other traffic are MOVING then you can only legally pass on the right hand side of traffic. Again;

no interference caused to other traffic

if moving between lanes, sufficient indication needs to be displayed/given

If you pass on the left hand side of a moving vehicle (in the same lane) then it is the same as it is for any vehicle being illegal to overtake on the left.

Key Note;

At no circumstances cross the continuous white line as Deej points out.

What is a contentious issue though is whether the bike physically has to cross the continuous line for it to be an offence or whether if you rode up the middle of traffic to the front, stopped on the right hand side of the line but your left foot rested on the left hand side of the line does that constitute an offence?

Some officers I have spoke to say yes because the rider is an extention of the motorcycle.
                        Originally posted by Melkor
                        Madamax has pretty much covered it. Some cops will say no, some will say yes. In a nutshell my understanding is passing on the right is ok (like when a car passes a bicycle, or another car that's crawling or something) but passing on the left is only ok if the vehicle is stopped or indicating to or appears to be turning right.

Try and stay on one side of the line or the other becuase you're supposed to give 30m indication to change lanes, and crossing the solid white at the line is also an offence, yadda.

I think the cops that have a problem with it are the same as normal tin-toppers who don't like it...they're just jelous you're going to get home before them and/or have the ability to shoot through the traffic.

Personally I lanesplit all the time.
                        EDIT: I guess this means splitting so close you smack their mirrors is illegal then...
                        Last edited by Tenchi; 08-11-2007, 11:26 AM. Reason: Addendum
                        Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

Instruction:
                          1. Depress clutch.
                          2. Push downward on gear lever, thus selecting 1st gear.
                          3. Similtaniously engage throttle and release clutch.
                          4. As bike moves forward, twist throttle to it full extremity.
                          5. Apply brakes, release throttle, and shift down throught the gears.
                          6. Stop at next set of light and repeat.

lol. Good to hear your ok. But expect us to take the piss.

Comment

What if I'm lane splitting on a scooter, will insurance still cover me if I'm riding out of class? But at least I'm not one of those people wearing shorts and thongs, what's up with them? And what's the best tyres, oils and exhaust to run?
                            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
                              What if I'm lane splitting on a scooter, will insurance still cover me if I'm riding out of class? But at least I'm not one of those people wearing shorts and thongs, what's up with them? And what's the best tyres, oils and exhaust to run?
                              More to the point, where is my cup/can holder?????????????????

Comment

Working...
                              X