Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dainese D-air® Racing airbag

Dunno if this has been shown on here before:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1Tx-1GZcI&feature=bz301]YouTube - Dainese D-airآ® Racing airbag stunt test in Adria[/ame]

Thoughts?

Originally posted by The_Wookie View Post
    Dunno if this has been shown on here before:
    Thoughts?
    Well I reckon any advances in motorcycle protective gear is a good news. Even with the airbag this would have still hurt as a bitch...

Comment

Looked intentional.
      I remember reading (I think it was on here) that one of the 250gp riders in the last gp was wearing one when he came off.
      No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

weird, where are the deployment sensors?

Comment

Originally posted by millsy View Post
          weird, where are the deployment sensors?
          In the pants?

lol

Comment

^^^whs

LOL
            "Redlines are merely suggestions"
            "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

an anal pucker sensor?
              For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
              For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

i believe in the last 125cc race marco simoncelli had a similar style airbag which deplyed when he slid off during the race.

looks like a really good idea to reduce neck whip lash style injures.

Comment

Kurtis Roberts was using one at Valencia.

Comment

price?

or is it one of those 'if you have to ask' items?

Comment

That was so intentional to test the gear out. I'm not sure if he's brave or stupid. Perhaps a combination of the two.

I've asked about these things before. I understand you're kinda anchored to the bike and if you become seperated from said anchor point (which as a rule requires falling away from the bike) the airbag deploys. The key problem I have with this is if you don't come clear of the bike I don't think it benefits you at all.

Comment

I read on another forum that the older models used a tether, but the new ones use some kind of RF proximity thingy.
                        (technical terms here)

Comment

from dainese website:

D-TEC®, the Dainese Research & Development Department and Merhav-AAP Ltd. are cooperating in developing D-AIR®, the project to produce a motorcyclists' riding gear in which the air bag is an integrated part and that will revolutionise the protection of motorcycle riders. The development of D-Air® is the result of thirty years experience of Dainese in the field of protection in dynamic sports and the technology prowess of Merhav-AAP. Its expertise in air bag technology, started with the development of a technological platform called AASMR® (Advanced Airbag System for Motorcycle Riders).

D-AIR® is a sophisticated protection system with three air-bags that inflate in about 30 milliseconds and maintain appreciable pressure up to 20 seconds after inflating. Such a high level of performance had previously been unachievable with traditional CO2 canister or conventional hot gas generators systems.
                          This new system protects the parts of the body most vulnerable to traumas: the entire upper half of the torso, neck and head, thanks to the revolutionary technology behind this extremely sophisticated device.
                          ELECTRONIC MANAGEMENT SYSTEM. The STM® (Sensing, Triggering and Memory) is run by a CPU that monitors sensor data and triggers the airbags inflation under certain conditions. The built-in memory serves as a 'Black-box'. The system is fitted with a self-diagnosis procedure that prevents undesirable inflation of the air bags in the event of a malfunction.
                          The system status information is available continuously to the rider on a graphic display. A vibramotor is also used to increase rider alertness, both under normal riding conditions and during a malfunction. An advanced Li-Ion rechargeable battery whose energy level is constantly displayed powers the STM®.
                          ACTIVATION SENSORS. The conventional method of a wire linking the rider with the vehicle used by other systems, has been phased out and replaced by a continuous electronic coded radio link between a sensor located on the motorcycle and a unit integrated into the garment.
                          When the values being sent exceed set levels, the STM® triggers the airbags inflation procedure. Transmission is protected against interference and is encoded. The information exchanged by the two units also includes an identification code personalizing each unit.
                          AIRBAGS. The airbags are ergonomically designed to provide maximum protection and are result of many hours of computer simulation and tests.
                          The current configuration comprises three gas generators and three air bags.
                          The gas generators, the same used by the automotive industry, employ "cold" technology, which produces high volumes of 'environmental friendly' gas, extremely rapidly without overheating the inflated areas. The gas generators are fitted onto a specially designed back support that is fastened at the waist by a large elastic strap.
                          The shape and technical features of the three air-bags are specially designed for D-AIR® and cover the rider's back, sides and chest for a total volume of around 90 litres.The air bags are part of the garment, are not seen and will deploy by breaking seams in the garment.
                          The AASMR®/STM® had passed with flying colours the electronic certification required by EU regulation and has received CE number certification. TUV of Germany certified the complete D-AIR® for environmental conditions. The system had passed gruelling testing at one of the world's most prestigious test houses: TNO Safety Research Centre in Holland and is protected by patents.
                          The AASMR® specifics were established by rigorous experiments with computer simulations. D-AIR® prototypes were then manufactured and used in a range of sled and crash tests, including real-life impact tests with specially made dummies.
                          Today D-AIR® is the cornerstone of D-Tec®, Dainese's R&D department, and asserts the firm's influential role in the research into sports protection.

Comment

so basically it's a radio link between bike & vest - once you go past a set limit it deploys.

gotta make sure you turn it off before getting off the bike!! :d

Comment

also - link to site. more videos and other cool stuff

DAINESE - D-Tech - D-Air

Comment

Working...
                              X