Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few questions

Hey guys n gals just a few questions i been wondering

1. Is it legal to split at traffic lights by going up the turning right lane and then indicating into the lane to the left of it (middle) and goto the front?

2. If i roll my bike my front brakes scrape, I'm thinking my front wheel is warped so i tested letting go of the handle bars at different speeds and every time they shake and about to go into a tank slapper, does it mean its warped? got its 6,000km service coming up soonish and I'll ask them about it

3. Sometimes when i slow down using the engine while turning slightly my handle bars start to shake? related to above? or is it normal?

Thanks
    Free android puzzle game
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TempleOfMedina

Originally posted by Teedo View Post
    Hey guys n gals just a few questions i been wondering

1. Is it legal to split at traffic lights by going up the turning right lane and then indicating into the lane to the left of it (middle) and goto the front?

2. If i roll my bike my front brakes scrape, I'm thinking my front wheel is warped so i tested letting go of the handle bars at different speeds and every time they shake and about to go into a tank slapper, does it mean its warped? got its 6,000km service coming up soonish and I'll ask them about it

3. Sometimes when i slow down using the engine while turning slightly my handle bars start to shake? related to above? or is it normal?

Thanks
    1. Dunno, but I wouldn't and it annoys me when people do
    2 & 3. Take it in ASAP. That is not normal. Probably a warped brake disk. Might be extremely badly balanced, or have a flat spot, etc

Comment

1) there is a book on this for all lane splitting inquiries.

2 & 3 are more than likely related, not sure about the wheel being warped maybe your tire is fucked? check your brake disk? housing loose? don't stuff around, if its worrying and not obvious what the problem is get it checked out
      Last edited by Satan1; 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM.

Comment

could be a fucked tyre or headstem bearings. A warped wheel sounds very unlikely, wouldnt be brakes coz it does it when engine breaking
        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies I'll take it in asap!

Does this happen alot on new bikes? or maybe i braked too hard in the first few thousand km?
          Would be good to know so i make sure i don't do it again
          Last edited by Teedo; 09-11-2007, 03:04 PM.
          Free android puzzle game

Comment

braking too hard shouldnt do anything. How old is the bike?
            If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Originally posted by shane1 View Post
              1) there is a book on this for all lane splitting inquiries.
              Find me a thread where question 1 has been asked before?
              My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
              Motorcycle Panel & Paint
              Q-Zar Fremantle
              Rated-R Parts
              PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
              Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
              CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
              Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

The bike has done 4,900km and bought about 5 months ago
                I admit i didn't use the search function but only because i knew it would come up with a heap of lane splitting threads and would take a long time to find the one with this question ( if its actualyl been asked before )

I've been told to hold the front brake slightly while doing a constant speed of about 70 and that will run in whatever i actually am running in.... front wheel? brakes? clueless...
                Free android puzzle game

Comment

You'd be better off splitting down the middle of the 2 lanes going straight than to go through the turning lane and indicate off, as you'll be exposed directly to moving traffic.

Not to say where there's 2 lanes, one going straight, the other going left - I've pulled into the going straight lane.

Comment

I normally would but I was turning right and about 4 or 5 cars back and decided i wanted to go straight but I didn't split, ohwell long way = more fun
                    Free android puzzle game

Comment

Tyson, point taken.

Originally posted by Teedo View Post
                      I normally would but I was turning right and about 4 or 5 cars back and decided i wanted to go straight but I didn't split, ohwell long way = more fun
                      Not really 'splitting' per say, or in this case if you did attempt 'splitting' it would be awful dangerous! or are you talking about 'filtering' after making an incorrect decision?

Assuming filtering... the reason why i wouldn't suggest it~

Dual carridgeway filter down the right side of the right lane, your only giving yourself 20 meters before the median strip at the other side of the TL's to cross the car in the lane, GPX vs WRX i think your in trouble.

Up the guts on a gpx you are going to get away faster than one of the two cars = safe.

This goes with all bike riding.

I road the other day through obrien with a (mid fourties) friend of mine and he said

'there are many people that are fast through these tracks, there the ones 'in' the moment, I am extremely fast in fact so fast im already thinking 5 seconds ahead'

To watch him ride his paul smart? duke was awesome, I know this is off topic but if you are thinking ahead you will be soo much safer.

Comment

front brakes scraping/ rubbing = normal

if your front brake disc was warped, when you brake heavily youll feel a pulsation through the lever

id say your problem is most likely tire, headstem bearings, wheel bearings, or buckled rim
                        Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

It depends on whether or not you leave it so late that you're already on the arrows and have passed the solid line. Though I wouldn't encourage that at the best of times.

I try to only filter when there's room to do so by abiding by either lane. Some people will drive right down the median strip.

Your other problems sound pretty bad.

Comment

Depending on the scraping noise, it could be your pads being worn out, too.... if it sounds different to "normal".

I'd have a look-see and see how much friction material is left...

That said, I *did* manage to warp a front disc on my ZZR within 9000km, so don't necessarily rule it out on your GPX, which has a smaller disc...

Find me a thread where question 1 has been asked before?
                            But tyson, every thread i search for with "splitting" has the response "do a search, it's been covered millions of times" in it

ot bitch... shits me when people just post up stuff like that, all it does is pollute teh search results further. If you're going to shut someone down like that, it's better to link to the actual info, so that when people DO attempt a search, they actually get something back, other than "omg you moron do a search!!11"

On the splitting query - i wouldn't do that personally. Why? Because if the right turning lane is empty and you're "splitting" or "filtering" down it a significant distance, you're leaving yourself open to some guy in the straight ahead lane suddenly deciding he needs to turn right and pulling out in front of you, or into the side of you.

Also, if you're crossing an un-broken white line to do so, you are breaking the law, and can be pinged for it. From memory it's something like $150 fine for that (been pinged for that one before in the cage).
                            Last edited by thro; 10-11-2007, 06:53 AM.
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Shaking steering head is probably a squared off rear tyre, if so, replace both tyres. together.
                              Bikes are good, Cars are bad, Green is better than Gold.

Comment

Working...
                              X