Holes in the ground WTF?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holes in the ground WTF?!?

My stand keeps on making holes in the tarmac when I park it.

Does anyone else get this?

I'm guessing it's because the stand and tarmac both heat up and the tarmac becomes soft.

But yeah. WTF?! My driveway is covered in holes now.
    Feels good man.

You need to get yourself a stand block, you can buy them at bike shops or make one yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
      You need to get yourself a stand block,
      or a squashed aluminium can.

Comment

Yeah I think I will knock one up

I made a really big one outside the dentist yesterday.
        Feels good man.

Comment

Just how thin is your tarmac?
          such comment
          wow
          many post

Comment

I have never had that issue, only with bikes sinking into the grass/sand. Crushed can always does the trick.

Comment

Tack a bit of stainless steel plate on the bottom of your sidestand.
              It's punching holes in tarmac because the sidestand 'footprint' is too small.
              Make the plate big enough and you can park on grass with no worries too.

This will only get worse in summer as the roads warm up.

Comment

thats weird.... go jonchilds suggestion but you can do it in mild steel as s/steel wont weld as esay to other metals
                A site all parents should check regulary
                http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
                  thats weird.... go jonchilds suggestion but you can do it in mild steel as s/steel wont weld as esay to other metals
                  mig stainless to mild steel no worries, the only thing that will happen is the stainless properties will become "burned" out of the metal around the weld area. I weld stainless to mild steel with my mig piece of pie.

newer bitumen surfaces ESP the ones used in carparks and driveways are much lower MPa and suffer so much because of this.

another option is to drill two 2.5mm holes ~7mm deep into the underside of the kickstand's (ground touching surface) underside and tap M4 and use nise SS countersunk 10mm bolts and loctite with the appropriate sized/shaped stand plate
                  Strong, permanent* (can be romoved and then will show no visible signs when removed), and unlike welding it - it is servicable

NB: with welding to the kickstand - im pretty sure they are cast. henced pain in the arse to weld "thinner" gauge plate
                  "Redlines are merely suggestions"
                  "Stroked is fun, but I'ld rather get blown"

Comment

Originally posted by Supercharged1600 View Post
                    mig stainless to mild steel no worries, the only thing that will happen is the stainless properties will become "burned" out of the metal around the weld area. I weld stainless to mild steel with my mig piece of pie.

newer bitumen surfaces ESP the ones used in carparks and driveways are much lower MPa and suffer so much because of this.

another option is to drill two 2.5mm holes ~7mm deep into the underside of the kickstand's (ground touching surface) underside and tap M4 and use nise SS countersunk 10mm bolts and loctite with the appropriate sized/shaped stand plate
                    Strong, permanent* (can be romoved and then will show no visible signs when removed), and unlike welding it - it is servicable

NB: with welding to the kickstand - im pretty sure they are cast. henced pain in the arse to weld "thinner" gauge plate
                    a can is eisier
                    there are 3 kinds of lies:, lies, damned lies and statistics [benjamin disraeli] 1804-1881

Comment

I have this problem at my workplace. I thought it was just piss poor workmanship but it looks like it's not just our workplace. FYI the tarmac that my stand is punching through is about 1/2-1" thick - well below what I would have expected would be acceptable for parking your car on.

Lucky for me I can alleviate this issue using the centerstand on the ZZR. I also find parking my bike on a certain angle to the car park keeps the kickstand out of direct sunlight - surprisingly that seems to be enough to prevent it from punching holes into the dirt. When it gets worse/we get the new tenants moving in and they take my car park I'll be parking it on brick paving so it won't be a problem anymore.
                      Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

tarmac is a liquid... [just some useless info]
                        Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

Or if you don't want to use a crushed can cut a square out of a bit of wood.
                          DISCLAIMER: I is an idiot

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
                          - to maths what sex is to masturbation"
                          -Richard Feynman

Comment

A crushed can is a pain in the arse if you have to go looking for it while your bike is toppling over.
                            The lid off a jam jar is good.
                            It easily fits in your jacket pocket so you can put it in there and forget about it until the time comes when you need it.
                            Then watch your mates be amazed at your McGyver like ability to deal with any situation.....if you had any mates
                            CAUTION: ATTEMPTING TO OVERTAKE THIS VEHICLE MAY RESULT IN A HIGH SPEED WHEELIE

Comment

when i got some tyres last time i saw a purpose made plastic "sidestand puck" thingy. The guy gave one to me. Works a treat. Go into any bike tyre shop (or most likely any bike shop) and get one. they couldnt cost more than a few bucks. I carry it under my seat during summer and use it everyday. Easy.

edit - i've found MOST of that new age smooth "hot mix" stuff get soft in the heat of summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X