Summer Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Jacket

I've read and searched on PSB for info about light weight Jackets for summer. I'm over heating already and it's not even proper summer yet! Althought the forecast for today comes pretty close. What is available, how much cooler are they and what protection do they really offer? Who makes the best for Perth weather? Sorry if this topic has been done be for.
    "Yesterday was never the future. One cannot live backwards", she told him

Heh Petal, I took Spirit to the shops on Thursday to find a summer jacket. She ended up buying one from Causeway Kawasaki for around $175 (10% discount ) we went to all the bike shops then up to Totals, who had the same jacket for a $1 cheaper, but they wouldn't give us a discount, so we promptly left and went back down to Kawasaki.

Rick Gill's and Kawasaki had a few different ladies summer jackets, depends on what colour you are after and style. Some are pink, baby blue and have mesh, others are black with pink trim. They all have plenty of arm armour, but have different thicknesses sizes of back protectors.

No doubt you see some of the summer jackets on Tuesday night
    Last edited by Stoneville; 11-11-2007, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I've got a teknic chicane leather jacket. It's perforated (and has a couple of fabric panels) and doesn't seem to be too bad when on the bike.

Obviously when you hop off and the airflow stops it's a bit warm, but yeah... cup of cement, etc...

I'm just saying don't discount leather as being unwearable, if it's perforated it's not too bad - certainly a million times cooler than my dri-rider nordic (even without the inner lining in it)...
      Last edited by thro; 11-11-2007, 07:58 AM.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Draggin Jackets, I bought one early this year and whilst they have little armour, they breathe very well allowing a good deal of cooling. They can be fitted with a foam back protector.
        Bikes are good, Cars are bad, Green is better than Gold.

Comment

Fruitbat and I both have Joe Rocket mesh jackets for summer use. They are awesome, it almost feels like you are a squid just wearing a t-shirt.

They have CE approved armour and a foam back protector (which ideally should be upgraded). They have a removable nylon lining too which will reduce how much you get wet if it rains. They do some nice colours too.

Dri-rider also do a similar jacket which also has the benefit of a warm liner in addition to the waterproof, extending its use a little more.

We tried both makes of jacket, but found the Rocket ones fitted us better. You should be able to find both between the $200 - $300 mark, maybe a little less if you negotiate. (Jono at Lloyd Chapman's is a good guy to talk to about this ).

You have to understand that these jackets are not as good as a leather one in terms of protection, and whilst a perforated leather jacket may still be hotter than the mesh ones it will give you better protection.

I tend to look at it that if I am overheating, then I won't be concentrating as well and therefore I am more likely to have an accident anyway. So for me, a mesh jacket is the way to go.
          Adventure before Dementia

Comment

i've got the Dri-rider Drimesh jacket. awesome in summer, can be cold as hell in winter. it has a liner to make it waterproof and cuts down the airflow a bit, but still ain't that great.

saying that, that's all i've had and rode plenty of times during winter in the rain and i didn't die!

they're great value for money.

Comment

I have a Spidi mesh jacket, with armour in all the right spots. it also has aliner for those days when you are unsure just how vented you want/need to be.

Does what I want it to, which was keep me cool in summer
              Last edited by The Lady Di; 11-11-2007, 08:51 AM.
              Unlikely adventures require unlikely tools.

Comment

I've got a dririder mesh jacket as well, however, given that i can see through it, i reckon you wouldn't be that much better off than just wearing a t-shirt....

Sure it has a little bit of armour, but you'd still be needing skin grafts after any significant accident, i reckon....
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

weird, can't see thru my dri-mesh...

Comment

^^ hold it up to the light, on mine i can see through the body section, as it's just mesh...

Comment

im still in favour of an all season jacket, just take the lining out in summer,saying that,ive just been on jamathi's bakery run with the winter lining in still.
                      yep, hot as when you're standing around but nice and cool at 110km/hr.

i just like the extra protection.

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

Originally posted by potatoe_jones View Post
                        yep, hot as when you're standing around but nice and cool at 110km/hr.
                        Is THAT all you guys got up to?

pfffft Bert. But then again, playing to the crowd were we? Soem learner's etc in the group? Then that's fair enough. Any bugs up there today? There was bloody heaps when we went the other weekend.
                        Originally posted by Viper
                        I'm probably fucking something up.
                        FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                        Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Steve View Post
                          Is THAT all you guys got up to?

pfffft Bert. But then again, playing to the crowd were we? Soem learner's etc in the group? Then that's fair enough. Any bugs up there today? There was bloody heaps when we went the other weekend.
                          no comment about my politically correct posting of speed limits

as for bugs? well, dem solid little black ones you can see coming that pose as kamakazi pilots........they hit hard and spread goo all over ya visor,the dirty little fucks

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

A mate of mine is a copper and they wear Dri-rider drimesh climate control jackets. He said that they are happy with them, The have to wear them all the time at work, makes a change from them just wearing shirts........ One of his mates came of a police bike doing a course at wanneroo raceway, apparently it was a rather fast fall coming down the hill and prior to the bend into the home straight, the jacket did really well with the guy being back at work after a couple of weeks off. Not to mention he was given another new jacket, that would be nice... get paid to ride a bike, if you fall of they fix it for you and return it to you.......... They also get given some draggin jeans type pants, apparently they are not to happy with them as they are rather hot but it is better than the old crap pants they used to get given eh.
                            My wife and I both have the dri rider climate control jackets and I really like them. Good luck finding one, I would rather be hot than the other option......^_^
                            Let him who desires peace prepare for war......

Comment

I got one of these and love it in Summer!

Nice and cheap too! Around the $200 mark, probably less now.

Comment

Working...
                              X