Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing a new bike? Be Aware - and learn from my mistake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a new bike? Be Aware - and learn from my mistake!

Heya,

Thought i would put a post up to make everyone aware of my mis-fortune and hope that some people can learn from my mistake. If your thinking of purchasing a new bike... ever.... eg upgrading or even buying new for the first time just be prepared to wait... and when i say wait - anywhere up to 3 months wait for some bikes. Depends on the make, model, colour, etc... I am sure there are some if not many people out there that have had to wait longer and i am feeling your pain.

Dealer kept assuring me it would be around 3 to 4 weeks delivery at the time of the order and that i needed to sell my old bike ASAP. Otherwise i would be stuck with the old bike and the new one being ready to go. I am now up to week 12. I sold my old bike nearly 7 weeks ago and I am now having to wait another 4 - 5 more weeks from now. Being that my bike is my main form of transport, its killing me with no bikes at all. Friends are joking with me - think of it as a x'mas present. Knowing my luck, i'll do the run in period and it'll be due for a service just as all the bike stores close up for 2 or 3 weeks for x'mas - damn it! :o

Anyway, I thought i would share my pain and hope that if anyone is purchasing a bike in the near future, be prepared to wait. I didn't want to see someone else fall into the same trap that i am in. Best advice i can offer is wait till the new bike or what ever bike you are getting is in viewable / touching / buying distance before selling your old bike (at least if its your main transport). And be aware that the order can take many months to be completed. So plan ahead! Oh i love the bus these days... NOT!

Regards, Jono

OMG what bike are you waiting on????

Comment

Thanks for that, I'm hoping to do this very soon and hadn't thought about that issue as the last bike I bought new (my present ride) was on the floor ready to go, they had a 'few' of them at the time. Will def make demands and be in touching distance before I sign!!

Comment

Hey Jono, what triumph dealer mate??

Lloyd chapmans or JCS?? Shit I was really lucky, mine was on the floor ready to go!

Hope it comes sooner rather than later mate.

And remember when it does where going crusin ok! Time to spread the lurv for the daytonas!!
        `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

I waited 2 weeks for my brand new bike to be delivered due to no bikes with that colour scheme I wanted then it arrived at LCM's then pulled apart for the mods to be attached then put back together and road prepped and licensed ready for me to pick up at 3pm on a friday afternoon

Was lovely and hassle free except for the 2 weeks waiting for it to arrive in PErth and then the on road prep

Comment

I think you have a bit too much patience.
            If I had to wait anything more than a week or two, i'd start to consider purchasing from a different shop instead.

Comment

I could never wait that long for a bike.

It could be the best bike in the world, but if it meant i was unable to ride for 2-3 months... screw that, there's plenty of other machines i could have within a week that are far more than "good enough" for me.

I was extremely irritated at being screwed around for more than one break from work (FIFO on 8/6 roster)... due to paperwork being fucked up.
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

On the bright side, the extra twelve weeks have allowed you more time to save and reduce any loan you may have been going to get.
                This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

To be fair to the dealer I do purchasing for a living and I get told by my suppliers 2 weeks no probs. For this one project I am working on I have been told 2 weeks for the last 8 weeks!

The dealer may only be going on what he is told from his supplier. He has no choice as its not like he can go to another supplier.
                  You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

..... you bought a Triumph, didn't you.
                    "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Does suk mate, thanks for the heads up! I'm in a very similar position, about to apply for a loan for a bike that I have already put a deposit on ( ), and about to sell my current bike, and I was told that it's a coupla weeks till the bike comes in.

Haven't double checked with the dealer yet, coz I wanna wait till I get approved first!

Thanks for that dude, make sure you get some goodies thrown in, that's the least they could do!

Comment

Fuck, you wouldn't want this with a japanese bike. 3 months is like... 10% of it's model life.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I had similar trouble with a salesman who used to work at Lloyd Chapmans - denting my confidence in the business. Said salesman since left them & that cheered me up.
                          I was lucky enough to be able to pick up my bike from JCS instead, was very happy with their friendliness & overall attitude.

Comment

You signed the OTP without putting any special conditions in didn't you :/

Comment

yep, if delivery within a certain time frame is required then you need to put that in as a condition of the contract. If you dont, you are basically stuck and it would be up to you to bitch and moan to try and get out of the contract.

There would be a precedent somewhere as to what constitutes a reasonable wait, but you would have all the costs and effort of forcing the dealer to cancel the contract.

Every car or bike i've ever bought from a dealer i've always put in a special clause saying something like "delivery by XXX required".

Comment

Working...
                              X