Headcheck saved my life (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headcheck saved my life (again)

My student and I were about to make a right turn. We moved over to the right and indicated. My student began the turn and I was about to follow when out the corner of my eye I saw a car attempting to overtake us.

I promptly straightened up and stamped on the brake and he passed me on the right. The arsewipe (an Old(ish) Codger) made no attempt to slow down but simply steered onto the wrong side of the road to overtake us.

My student only just made the turn before the Hyundai flashed past his rear wheel.

If I hadn't made a headcheck over my right shoulder before commencing the right turn I wouldn't be writing this now (or anytime in the future). I seriously doubt that being T-boned by a Hyundai Excel doing 50-60kph would have been survivable.

I know it is redundant 99.9% of the time, but do yourselves a favour guys and girls - always do a headcheck before any right turn.

Edit- I mean, in addition to a headcheck before moving into position for the turn, do an extra headcheck just before actually swinging into the turn.
    Last edited by Spock; 15-11-2007, 05:55 PM.
    "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Originally posted by Spock View Post
    I know it is redundant 99.9% of the time, but do yourselves a favour guys and girls - always do a headcheck before any right turn.
    Or left turn!
    Yep experience rules
    I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

Glad you are OK, another close call. Yep, experience will save us time and again. I feel scared for the newer riders, imagine how your pupil might have reacted on his/her first day on P's...

Comment

Fucking excels. Its like you have to be psychotic/half witted to be allowed to own one...

Glad you ok.

Comment

I realise this may sound somewhat childish, and irrelevant, but I ask in any case where I want to understand where on the road this happened etc etc..

Can you mspaint what you guys were doing when this person overtook you? I don't really understand..

Comment

good to hear your alright mate. He must've been pretty blind to not see you were indicating right, and he over takes instead of undertaking. WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
              Can you mspaint what you guys were doing when this person overtook you? I don't really understand..
              Spock was about to make a right hand turn, old d*ckhead overtook Spock on his right side.

Why didnt darwin get him earlier??????
              "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Which one???
                SP RACINGis supported by:
                MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

lol, did a head check this morning when i saw the party lights behind me before i pulled over. Aparently the cop thought i was going to make a run for it. Pffft. 'sif
                  DISCLAIMER: I is an idiot

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
                  - to maths what sex is to masturbation"
                  -Richard Feynman

Comment

a runner on a vtr?
                    that would've been interesting

and more than a little comical
                    Originally posted by Ryanoceros
                    How many bikes can you buy today that have an otto cycle motor?

Comment

my thoughts exactly
                      DISCLAIMER: I is an idiot

"Physics is: - like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
                      - to maths what sex is to masturbation"
                      -Richard Feynman

Comment

Good to hear your ok

Don't really want to comment on that excel driver???? Well not without cursing at him an absolute shitload!!

HEADCHECKS PEOPLES!!! ^_^
                        `Ride on Cam - No. 52` :aus-salute:

Comment

Good to hear that you're ok. I guess the driver needs to be put on a bike himself to find out what it's like on the road for us. But he also needs a good ass kicking for doing it
                          RIP Cade...07/10/1982 - 23/04/2006

Comment

I hope you told your student to pull over and wait for you, before you proceeded to chase the bloke and re-arrange his mirror.
                            c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Glad to hear your both ok. Great post

Originally posted by browca04 View Post
                              I hope you told your student to pull over and wait for you, before you proceeded to chase the bloke and re-arrange his mirror.
                              LOL.

I was nearly taken out by a 4 wheel drive when I was first learning to ride. My instructor at the time, Trevor, did take off after the 4 wheeler in question, hands waving, horn blaring and gesturing everything under the sun. It was an absolute cracker. I felt sorry for him, my "oh shit" over the intercom gave him a fright.

Comment

Working...
                              X